Sirennet - Installation Parts - How to build a fused wire harness

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
I was taught to always correctly clock the crimp-on connecter to align its seam in the metal portion with one of the crimp tool's anvils or opposite the u shaped protrusion on some crimp tools. Seam goes in saddle side of this style tool.

This prevents a weakened connection by not compromising that seam as is done when crimped sideways or backwards to seam. I take an extra step to put a line on butt splices with a sharpie before I stock them in the drawer, easier to do in the light vs. under the job. Other connectors the seam is usually straight up or readily visible.

Also, heat shrinkable crimp connectors are worth the extra cost if the install will leave them subjected to the elements.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
That was an very interesting vid. But...

My question is and this is not a slam If you're a professional why in the world would you use those cheap crimpers and not shrink tubing or shrinkable ends especially when you're building a waterproof inline fuse?

Theses are the tools I personally like to use. Also notice the type of crimps that can be made with them. The ones you use I feel are produce an unreliable crimp.

I also cut shrink to fit the wire as well as cover the end of the connector if I don't already have shrinkable connectors.

The large opening in the amp tool I find I can get both the Blue and the Red ends in and do a nice crimp.

Also you can buy the shrink tube kit at any auto or hardware store.

This is my personal choice of equipment for wiring.

tools 1.JPG

tools 2.JPG

tools 3.JPG

tools 4.JPG

tools 5.JPG

Sirennet

Apr 23, 2013
Oregon
This was not intended to show a pro how to do the work, this is to show someone that is just starting out how to do this. We did not show using expensive tools, because someone at this level would not have those.

Yes, we have nice Snap-On crimpers if we need them, but that would not have fit into the theme of the video.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Sirennet said:
This was not intended to show a pro how to do the work, this is to show someone that is just starting out how to do this. We did not show using expensive tools, because someone at this level would not have those.

Yes, we have nice Snap-On crimpers if we need them, but that would not have fit into the theme of the video.

Well if you want to show how something should be done you should show descent tools mine were not expensive at all.

The amp tool was only 12.00 and the red tools are now 32.00 Lowes still within a budget for quality work, linemans pliers with good crimper 29.97 Lowes and Ebay has a amp tool that will last the occasional user a long time for 25.35.GC Waldom w HT 1919 14 ? 24 Molex Crimping Tool | eBay

I'm just saying show the good tools of your trade and explain that if you want a long last job and a quality job don't scrimp on tools. So the customer comes back later and complains he has a bad connection.

And how I do my installs and I get repeat business or new business because of the quality of my work.

This is just my opinion

Dec 4, 2011
US NC
While I have not watched the video yet, I am sure it's going to be helpful to be since I am a beginner.

I'm just glad to see someone posting in here to help us guys that are new to wiring. If you guys aren't a fan of the way it's being taught, perhaps you would like to make a better video?

EDIT: I watched the video, and did find it very helpful. I didn't see anything wrong with it actually. Maybe on of you can offer some insight to what was wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
firefighter7017 said:
While I have not watched the video yet, I am sure it's going to be helpful to be since I am a beginner.

I'm just glad to see someone posting in here to help us guys that are new to wiring. If you guys aren't a fan of the way it's being taught, perhaps you would like to make a better video?

EDIT: I watched the video, and did find it very helpful. I didn't see anything wrong with it actually. Maybe on of you can offer some insight to what was wrong?

Basically the people that commented with that are saying the video should use better equipment and better connectors and so on. I think for a beginner, it's perfect. The phrase "you must learn to walk before you can run" comes to mind. No beginner is going to spend $200 on tools (I install and my main tools I use are roughly that, not including all the tools I've bought and used once or twice). I used a cheap "all-in-one" crimper just like that when I started, and my vehicle never caught fire, never had a short, never had a wire come loose. Again, it's fine for beginners. If you're going to be doing it professionally at some point I would definitely invest in better tools though.

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
calebsheltonmed23 said:
Basically the people that commented with that are saying the video should use better equipment and better connectors and so on. I think for a beginner, it's perfect. The phrase "you must learn to walk before you can run" comes to mind. No beginner is going to spend $200 on tools (I install and my main tools I use are roughly that, not including all the tools I've bought and used once or twice). I used a cheap "all-in-one" crimper just like that when I started, and my vehicle never caught fire, never had a short, never had a wire come loose. Again, it's fine for beginners. If you're going to be doing it professionally at some point I would definitely invest in better tools though.

Without slighting the video production what I find difficult to watch is incorrect sloppy stripping of wires where strands pulled out/off, incorrect twisting of strands, incorrect clocking of connector as being crimped. I have many years background in high speed wire termination production equipment and related methods. Wires strands are never twisted for at least two reasons, it increases the circular mil measurements and also creates points within the crimp where wires cross over each other which leaves them at risk for broken conductor strands when compressed in the crimp thereby reducing amp carrying capacity of the splice. Over time this can contribute to a failure especially in a vehicular vs static application. If one is demonstrating how to wire emergency equipment used for emergency responses then I have issue with this. Imagine running hot and your lighting switch is on but lights are inop. due to a failed splice. Sounds like a liability waiting for a place to happen. This info is being viewed by people installing emergency equipment, not their Sister's car stereo and should be presented with correct procedures. Lives depend on it. Just because you may have used similar methods and tools with success does not mean those splices will stand the test of time when measured in decades. Be careful out there everybody. Respect.

:hail:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
Torpedo said:
Without slighting the video production what I find difficult to watch is incorrect sloppy stripping of wires where strands pulled out/off, incorrect twisting of strands, incorrect clocking of connector as being crimped. I have many years background in high speed wire termination production equipment and related methods. Wires strands are never twisted for at least two reasons, it increases the circular mil measurements and also creates points within the crimp where wires cross over each other which leaves them at risk for broken conductor strands when compressed in the crimp thereby reducing amp carrying capacity of the splice. Over time this can contribute to a failure especially in a vehicular vs static application. If one is demonstrating how to wire emergency equipment used for emergency responses then I have issue with this. Imagine running hot and your lighting switch is on but lights are inop. due to a failed splice. Sounds like a liability waiting for a place to happen. This info is being viewed by people installing emergency equipment, not their Sister's car stereo and should be presented with correct procedures. Lives depend on it. Just because you may have used similar methods and tools with success does not mean those splices will stand the test of time when measured in decades. Be careful out there everybody. Respect.

:hail:

Strands pulled off/out? Agreed, that is no good.

The "clocking" sounds like a good idea, but in all reality if you're squeezing hard enough it's gonna make a good connection. And twisting wires is a no-no?? Since when?? What difference does it make? I've never compared twisted v. straight wires, but does it really make a big difference?? The connection is only as good as it's weakest link, so I don't see how wire pattern is just as important as crimping style. And like I said, great for beginners. I used that type of crimper on my first POV and used it for 2+ years and never had a failure.

You have to start somewhere. Nobody wakes up one morning and thinks "I've never messed with electrical stuff, so I'm gonna go buy expensive tools and know exactly how to do it!". You have start somewhere, and you have learn by trial and error sometimes. I'm almost sure some of the greatest installers here didn't start out with $1000's in tools and a line of vehicles to install. Now who knows, they may have, but I doubt it.

And decades?? Most vehicles over a certain amount of miles or over a certain year are replaced, and if not (i.e. fire service and volly EMS depts) most lighting and sirens are updated after some time and everything gets redone. Even the best crimp can fail at some point. Sirennet already said this is to teach BEGINNERS, not newbies to learn how to open an upfitting business. If you're so disgusted by it, make your own video and post it! I think it's great they're trying to teach this. It's a hell of a lot better than using wire nuts ( :puke: ) and just taking wires and taping them together after twisting them.

No it is not a "professional grade" video, but it's a lot better than some of the crap we all have seen before.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.