Sirius Satellite Radio Install

pw1981

Jul 6, 2010
Tampa Bay FL
I am posting this in this thread because it doesn't really fit anywhere else. That said, a shift withou good music is a lot more stressful. I can't think of anywhere else online with as many emergency vehicle "clean freaks" like me so I figured I would ask here.

I need to install my Sirius dock unit in my new CVPI. The only vehicle specific mounts I have found will place the unit behind the laptop. The only option I have come up with is a bracket that will put it below the radio but make the trunk release very difficult to reach. Since I have the remote fob as well as the button on the driver's door, this is my beat option so far.

Anyone installed one of these before? Any pics, tips, or ideas would be awesome.

pw1981

Jul 6, 2010
Tampa Bay FL
My Sirius unit looks just like the one posted by TritonBoulder47. I wish I had a console... that would make life easy! But alas my agency deals with a county commission who will not approve "frivolous" expenses such as consoles.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I have the same unit and have it on a suction cup bracket immediately on top of my radar head, mid-dash. It works fine, though I wish I could make it a little dimmer at night. I used to have it mounted on the top corner of the windshield, next to the radar antenna, but moved it when I moved the antenna lower.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
RL1 said:
I have the same unit and have it on a suction cup bracket immediately on top of my radar head, mid-dash. It works fine, though I wish I could make it a little dimmer at night. I used to have it mounted on the top corner of the windshield, next to the radar antenna, but moved it when I moved the antenna lower.

There is a setting to lower the brightness of the screen...

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Mine came with a little adapter specifically designed to hang the cradle off the fins of the dashboard A/C vents. I used a couple of ty-wraps to make it more secure. It's been there in my wife's Grand Cherokee for 7 years now. I ran the power and antenna lines behind the dash and out through the fins, too. It does cover the fan speed control a bit, but it's an easy work-around. I suspect the CVPI might be a bit more spacious.

ai920.photobucket.com_albums_ad42_Steve_Collins_100_4907.jpg

pw1981

Jul 6, 2010
Tampa Bay FL
The AC vent clips are kind of out of the question. This is Florida, so blocking off an air vent is simply not an option.

So far I am still leaning tirades blocking the dash trunk release. Not the best option, but it's the only one I have so far.

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
I have mine on the drivers side corner of the windshield on a suction cup. I braided the wires together (power, antenna, and audio out) and tucked everything away so it neatly goes behind the A-post and then behind the dash. My antenna is at the top of the windshield and all you see of the wire is about 1" when the door is open. I'll get a pic when it's light out if you wanna see.

I HATE HATE HATE seeing sloppy installations (can you even call some of them installations?) of satellite radio on cars, it drives me CRAZY.

May 16, 2010
Torrington, WY
Here is where mine is installed. I had a empty CD slot below my CD/DVD player, so I used ABS plastic and drilled the holes where they needed to be. I drilled on big hole and mounted the AUX cord so I could plug my Sirius radio or Ipod in the front. Here is a crappy picture also pictured is the Sirius antenna:

ai233.photobucket.com_albums_ee229_hawkspringsfire_Mobile_20Uploads_1102101628.jpg

ai233.photobucket.com_albums_ee229_hawkspringsfire_Mobile_20Uploads_1102101627a.jpg

Bikinjohn

Jul 22, 2010
USA Nevada
hawkspringsfire said:
Here is where mine is installed. I had a empty CD slot below my CD/DVD player, so I used ABS plastic and drilled the holes where they needed to be. I drilled on big hole and mounted the AUX cord so I could plug my Sirius radio or Ipod in the front. Here is a crappy picture also pictured is the Sirius antenna:

Which one's your Sirius antenna, the phantom styled NMO antenna?

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
OK, here it is....

ai32.photobucket.com_albums_d10_IRTc_Alex_siriusinstall1.jpg

My wires braided together and going behind the plastic on the A post to behind the dash.

ai32.photobucket.com_albums_d10_IRTc_Alex_siriusinstall2.jpg

The Audio cable plugs into the Aux in on the front of my stereo (the rear input didn't wanna work with it for some reason)

ai32.photobucket.com_albums_d10_IRTc_Alex_siriusinstall3.jpg

The power plug connected into a female cigar plug. This is hidden behind the carpet (notice my scanner speaker hiding there as well.) You will also notice that the original plug has butt connectors on it - I found out the hard way that the radio won't work without the original plug attached.

My antenna is in the middle above the front windshield, wire hidden behind the rubber. It's 2:00 AM, otherwise I would have included a photo of that as well.

May 22, 2010
New York City
BigDogg795 said:
Where did you pick that up from? Do you know if they make one for XM units?

here is one like i think he has, you just dont have to use that mount, its a nmo

http://www.tss-radio.com/products/tram-mirror-mount-truck-antenna-1

the xm and sirius frequencies are

SIRIUS FREQUENCY: 2320 to 2332.5 MHZ

XM FREQUENCY: 2332.5 to 2345 MHZ

with that being said, it may work,but i think the satetlites are at a different angle, but i do not think you will get the best reception, even though tss-radio says its cross compatable, i heard from someone who tried it was not the best...... but all area's are different too..... i had xm and couldnt get a good signal in nyc on my block...

May 16, 2010
Torrington, WY
911 said:
here is one like i think he has, you just dont have to use that mount, its a nmo

http://www.tss-radio.com/products/tram-mirror-mount-truck-antenna-1

the xm and sirius frequencies are

SIRIUS FREQUENCY: 2320 to 2332.5 MHZ

XM FREQUENCY: 2332.5 to 2345 MHZ

with that being said, it may work,but i think the satetlites are at a different angle, but i do not think you will get the best reception, even though tss-radio says its cross compatable, i heard from someone who tried it was not the best...... but all area's are different too..... i had xm and couldnt get a good signal in nyc on my block...

Yep that's the same one I bought. I just drilled a hole in the roof and installed the antenna. It was really easy, plus as you can see I am not afraid of drilling holes in my roof. lol.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.