Slimlighter or Avenger?

NYBLS

Oct 13, 2010
NY,USA
I am trying to decide between using a dual avenger or a Slimlighter and need some opinions. It will be my only light (NYS law and limited distance using it) and will be placed on the dash due to the fact I already have an interior bar on the headliner (green for NYS EMS). It will be in blue and some limited off axis will be needed for turning right onto a somewhat busy road. Cost is not a major issue.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

NYBLS

Oct 13, 2010
NY,USA
Also note: I will be using the suction cups provided with either light, and would like them to hold up. I have had trouble with the suction cups holding on a mini phantom I had, and I want to avoid that same problem.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Slimlighter will have more forward punch with poorer off-axis, but the suction cups seem to hold up really well since my Sgt has had one right above his dash for years. Avenger is plenty bright and will have somewhat better off-axis. Also will probably have the same suction cups as the SL and the flashback shield would make it more stable on your dash.

If you are willing to go with a different brand, I love my dual Viper and it is great head on and to the side. I've never seen one in person, but a lot of people on here also love Tomar's newer stuff.

All in all, you will be fine with any of the above for your purpose.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
NYBLS said:
I am trying to decide between using a dual avenger or a Slimlighter and need some opinions. It will be my only light (NYS law and limited distance using it) and will be placed on the dash due to the fact I already have an interior bar on the headliner (green for NYS EMS). It will be in blue and some limited off axis will be needed for turning right onto a somewhat busy road. Cost is not a major issue.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

I'm wondering about the added value of a dash LED if you already have a windshield headliner device. The latter only duplicates more or less the axis and footprint of the former.

From what you describe (crossing a busy road), what you need is intersection warning, so I would suggest, if you don't want to bother with wiring and stuff, that you go for a LED beacon, which at least will provide some 180 to 360° visibility. Or a mini LED bar at best.

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
Blue is courtesy color in NYS right? I don't think he's going to be clearing intersections.

If you are putting the light lower on your dash then I'd say go with the slimlighter. You'll get flashback down onto the dash but if the light is low enough it shouldn't be a bother. Plus with no flash shield it won't interfere as much with your defrost when you're trying to clear your windshield.

NYBLS

Oct 13, 2010
NY,USA
TheGatekeeper said:
I'm wondering about the added value of a dash LED if you already have a windshield headliner device. The latter only duplicates more or less the axis and footprint of the former.

From what you describe (crossing a busy road), what you need is intersection warning, so I would suggest, if you don't want to bother with wiring and stuff, that you go for a LED beacon, which at least will provide some 180 to 360° visibility. Or a mini LED bar at best.

The headliner bar is used for EMS only (green in NYS), the dash light will be for fire only (blue in NYS).

NYBLS

Oct 13, 2010
NY,USA
bigcat said:
Blue is courtesy color in NYS right? I don't think he's going to be clearing intersections.

If you are putting the light lower on your dash then I'd say go with the slimlighter. You'll get flashback down onto the dash but if the light is low enough it shouldn't be a bother. Plus with no flash shield it won't interfere as much with your defrost when you're trying to clear your windshield.

Correct, blue is a courtesy color. I will not be clearing any intersections, just turning right onto a somewhat busy road from my driveway.

May 22, 2010
Central WV
TheGatekeeper said:

The interior lightbar is green (for EMS). The dashlight would be blue (for Fire).

As far as which one, that is more your personal preference. As far as off axis goes, the avenger would be better than the super slimlighter. I generally would go with a linear style light to the front and TIR style lights to the rear. Having said that, there are some TIR style light that do have very good off axis and can be used to the front, it's just that the super slimlighter isn't one of them.

I would also consider the Tomar 200S (normal or high power) for another linear option. For TIR style options the Sound Off UltraLite 4 or the Predator II have great off axis lighting.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
If the dash light will be your only light, I'd go with the Avenger or a Tomar 200S high power... The slimlighter is great when you already have a lightbar, corner strobes/led or mirror beams... but as the ONLY light... gotta go linear...

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
C17LVFD said:
If the dash light will be your only light, I'd go with the Avenger or a Tomar 200S high power... The slimlighter is great when you already have a lightbar, corner strobes/led or mirror beams... but as the ONLY light... gotta go linear...

Well, the supplemental information you brought up makes a big difference. Those two lights should never be activated simultaneously, which slightly alters the problem statement.

Avenger (dual since cost not a problem) is indeed very effective and an excellent choice. If this is going to be the only working, I would also suggest a good old FB3 FireBeam with Multi Mirrors. 1500 flash/mn, can't beat that.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
TheGatekeeper said:
Well, the supplemental information you brought up makes a big difference. Those two lights should never be activated simultaneously, which slightly alters the problem statement.

Avenger (dual since cost not a problem) is indeed very effective and an excellent choice. If this is going to be the only working, I would also suggest a good old FB3 FireBeam with Multi Mirrors. 1500 flash/mn, can't beat that.

Gate,

I have to agree you can't beat the Firebeam and multimirror... but LED wise... still the Avenger or 200S :D

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
If you wipe the windshield and suction cups with alcohol prep pads and stick it on while its still moist, they will stay on until you take them off. I did that with my dual avenger and it hasnt moves the slightest bit yet, and I have gone off road a few times :lol: I would also reccomend the avenger over the slimlighter for off axis. Good luck.

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
Do yourself a favor and go with the Whelen TIR6 SlimLighter. I have had the Dual Talon, Dual Avenger, 5mm SlimLighter, and TIR6 SlimLighter all in my personal vehicle over the past 8 years. They are all great lights, but I have had the Whelen TIR6 SlimLighter as my primary dash light for the past 5 years and will not get rid of it until the day it dies; it just has terrific output for head-on applications. Mine is in Blue/Blue, but I have installed many in Blue/White for NY volunteer and they are always pleased the first time they respond to a call with it on.

~Kirk

GaryErrol

May 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Here is video of a vehicle I used to have taken at night:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v725/ ... CF0054.mp4

Single Talons (predecessor to Avengers) on top and Slimlighter MM on bottom. I personally think linear is better as primary lighting, both front and back with TIR mixed in for that extra punch when needed.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
i'd go with the dual avenger hands down over the slimlighter for a dash light; they're both great products but, as seth said, they'd ideally be used if you had other blue lighting since the slimlighters are only head-on warning.

i've had a dual talon for 3 yrs on my dash and love it (off-axis and head-on)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.