Small Edge Freedom Issue

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I got an Edge Freedom a little while ago. I believe that it had an Opticom emitter at one point. There's a 400 series strobe in the middle of the bar. A power cable runs from it to outside of the bar. I'm on the fence as to how to proceed. Part of me wants to connect that cable to a strobe power source. However, I don't like the idea of an exposed power source in terms of shock risk. I could house it in something.

My other course of action is replacing it. There are two LR11 takedowns to either side of the strobe tube. I was thinking of putting a couple center modules in; one r/w and one b/w. They're the old modules without optics.

The issue is then with the takedowns and how to mount those as their size prevents me from putting in two lightheads. The bar used a couple of the light head clips cut in half vertically with a bandsaw. One's still fine and the other's busted. I'm getting a bunch of clips soon and cutting one in half is doable.

So, how can I proceed with the strobe option and how to proceed with the LED option?

Any 2¢ would be much appreciated.

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
I got an Edge Freedom a little while ago. I believe that it had an Opticom emitter at one point. There's a 400 series strobe in the middle of the bar. A power cable runs from it to outside of the bar. I'm on the fence as to how to proceed. Part of me wants to connect that cable to a strobe power source. However, I don't like the idea of an exposed power source in terms of shock risk. I could house it in something.

My other course of action is replacing it. There are two LR11 takedowns to either side of the strobe tube. I was thinking of putting a couple center modules in; one r/w and one b/w. They're the old modules without optics.

The issue is then with the takedowns and how to mount those as their size prevents me from putting in two lightheads. The bar used a couple of the light head clips cut in half vertically with a bandsaw. One's still fine and the other's busted. I'm getting a bunch of clips soon and cutting one in half is doable.

So, how can I proceed with the strobe option and how to proceed with the LED option?

Can you post a pic? I more or less understand what you are describing but I'm confused if the takedowns are currently mounted in a stock mount or if they are in some sort of modified mount. I think the latter, but I'm not clear. Also, is it a mini Freedom or a full size (49, 54, etc)? Your thread title says Small Edge Freedom Issue... not sure if it's the Freedom or the issue that's small.

As for what to do, the first (obvious) question is whether having a "stock" setup is important to you, or if your fine with fabricating mounts, as long as the end result works and looks alright.

Reactions: StEaLtH2

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Here’s some spare change from my thought bank. You should be able to get one of Whelens small 2 outlet strobe supplies inside the bar, that would keep it weatherproof, or you could replace the strobe with a single 400 module, Those would be the two easiest ways to add to the bar imho… Will this bar be put into service?

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
It's a full-sized bar. I should've used another thread name. No, it's going on a display rack. Definitely not going into service

The single 400 would look odd, I think. Maybe r/b split would work or w/w. I'm liking the idea with the strobe power supply. Where would I start with that. I'm pretty new to strobe. I wasn't a big fan until I got my Heliobe.

I've only gotten into Edge series bars lately. I will say that they're a PITA to take apart.

A stock setup is fine, but at the end of the day I'm more interested in turning a very standard bar into something unique in some way, be it a unique setup or a clone bar.

I'll attach photos to a post sometime tomorrow morning as a reference.

Clarence H

May 20, 2010
USA Twin Cities Minnesota

You could use a 1 light head preemption supply in the lightbar housing, or take it out, and put 2 regular sized takedowns in it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.