Smallest Mobile VHF

GoatMan165

Jul 27, 2010
Southeastern US
I have a 2008 Tundra, and there is a small cubby in beside the cigarette lighter. I was wondering if I could fit a VHF radio in there, or maybe just a control head for a remote mount. Can anyone offer ideas or suggestions? I can take a picture or get measurements of the cubby if needed. Thanks!

May 22, 2010
New York City
take measurements and a pic, the vx-2000 series are pretty small..... alot of options but we gotta see what you can fit !

FFParker

Jul 17, 2010
Aiken, SC
Id say the Moto M1225 its a nice size, or you might look into a moto CDM series with a remote head,,then again Kenwood and Vertex have remote mount radios as well, depends on your space. A picture of where you want to mount it would help.

GoatMan165

Jul 27, 2010
Southeastern US
The opening is roughly 3.5" across, not quite 2" high, and around 4" deep. Attached is a (stock) picture, I've highlighted the intended mounting area with a red square. I'm beginning to think this isn't going to work, so if someone could provide other suggestions for a sleek, somewhat factory-looking install location, I'm all ears!

tundradash.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

FFParker

Jul 17, 2010
Aiken, SC
I haven't seen anything that small except a Ham radio, and you cant use that for public safety legally. I have seen a mount that sits in your cup holder, or maybe a swivel mount on the side of the hump, or just use the ol' portable. Sorry I couldn't help

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
I'm really surprised no one has suggested it as of yet.. How about a Astro Spectra with a HHCH? (w3 controller)

Looks like this:

specastw3.jpg

P1060687.jpg

You would still need to hide the actual radio under a seat, etc.. but with this controller the display and controls are built into the mic. I used to have one, it worked very well.

GoatMan165

Jul 27, 2010
Southeastern US
I actually really like that idea a lot. There is a piece of trim between the gear shift and cup holders that pops out, so I could store the radio there when not in use. Does it have an external speaker or is it build into the mic portion? Where would be a good place to find one?

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Other than a "want" ad on here and (Ideally) batlabs, ebay would be a place to look for them.

External speaker required.

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
I'm not as up on Motorola, but Kenwood makes a hand held control head model# KCH-16. I beleive in works on all their remote mount radios. Thay'll also be a bit cheaper them the big M!

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Newberry13 said:
I beleive in works on all their remote mount radios.

Negative ghost rider... It only works with the 5710/5810.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/KCH-16M

** I didn't even know this existed until you posted something, and I'm a Kenwood guy!!!**

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
I know that's what they say on the site, but if you look at the TK 5910 it's listed as an option. Either way though, the OP stated that he needs it for VHF which is what the 5710 is.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
If you are smart with the purchases, you can get it for around 350-500... I put one together a few years ago for around 500. (and 2 favours) ;)

cory y

May 21, 2010
you know you have a cubby hole to the right of the shifter? that piece of plastic thats long and narrow pops out and theres a pretty deep cubby there

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.