Smart Siren SS2000SS-D

Extremedetail

Apr 18, 2014
Alabama
I recently bought a Federal Signal Smart Siren SS2000SS-D. It came out of a wrecked 2015 Dodge Charger police cruiser, the vehicle still had power and the unit was still hooked up to the siren harness and all of the lights were still hooked up to the lighting control part of the unit. Everything worked great, the siren, the lighting control, and the keypad and slide switch all worked flawless. I disconnected everything carefully, and packed it up and brought it home. I have a Whelen Liberty SX8 w/ 8 LED heads, (2) Whelen Vertex in the backup lights, and a wig-wag headlight flasher. I didnt grab the siren harness that controls the siren aspect of the unit, not thinking this was a big deal since I can just buy a new one. I get it in the car, before hooking it up to power, I made all of my connections for my lights according to the instructions to correct positions on the unit. I ran a 10 GA (less than 50 amps) cable from the battery to a 40 amp circuit breaker (per instructions), then connected the main power cable from the back of the unit (+BATT) to the other side of the circuit breaker. I reinstalled the fuse that controlled the cable from the battery and went to activate the lighting part of the unit. The keypad doesnt work, it doesnt light up, and the unit does nothing. I took the cover off and it seems to be getting power to all internal relays, but its not getting power to the terminals labled "LIGHTS 1, 2, 3" where I have all of my lights connected. The only terminal getting power is "AUX". I even hooked the unit directly to the battery and still nothing. Is it because I need the other harness or has something went bad? All of the internal fuses are good. I'm stumped.

Attachments

• 0529182054_HDR.jpg
    0529182054_HDR.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 0529182054a_HDR.jpg
    0529182054a_HDR.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 0529182054b_HDR.jpg
    0529182054b_HDR.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 0529182055_HDR.jpg
    0529182055_HDR.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Capture+_2018-05-29-20-56-28.png
    Capture+_2018-05-29-20-56-28.png
    114.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Capture+_2018-05-29-20-56-39.png
    Capture+_2018-05-29-20-56-39.png
    128.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Capture+_2018-05-29-20-57-43.png
    Capture+_2018-05-29-20-57-43.png
    140.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Capture+_2018-05-29-21-01-10.png
    Capture+_2018-05-29-21-01-10.png
    105.3 KB · Views: 10

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
If I understand you correctly you omitted the 12 pin harness, if that's the case you're missing the ignition sense and ground wire. You didn't mention it and your pics don't show it so I have to ask- did you include the gray modular phone cable between the head and the amp?

Extremedetail

Apr 18, 2014
Alabama
I do not have the 12 pin harness, I just ordered one off of eBay tonight. I did connect the modular phone cable between the unit and the control panel. Then I connected the 10 gauge main power cable from LUG1 inside the unit per instructions, to a 40 amp circuit breaker, and from the circuit breaker, another 10 gauge cable to battery. I did connect at one point as a process of elimination ground to the number 4 pin, and power to the number 6 pin (as following instructions) to see if maybe it also needed power on the siren side to operate and I got nothing. I took the case off and checked all the relays and light outputs with a check light to see if they were getting power; all of the relays were getting power but none of the outputs for the lighting were getting power, nor was the remote control panel. The only output that was getting power was the output labeled "E/AUX", and it was constant even when the control panel wouldnt work or none of the other outputs were getting power; it was like a constant "hot". Everything seemed to be getting power that needed it, but nothing was outputting power. I had a touchmaster delta a couple of years ago and it wasnt this difficult to wire up. When you say ignition sense and ground, what are you referring to specifically?

mike001

Mar 25, 2013
Providence RI
I do not have the 12 pin harness, I just ordered one off of eBay tonight. I did connect the modular phone cable between the unit and the control panel. Then I connected the 10 gauge main power cable from LUG1 inside the unit per instructions, to a 40 amp circuit breaker, and from the circuit breaker, another 10 gauge cable to battery. I did connect at one point as a process of elimination ground to the number 4 pin, and power to the number 6 pin (as following instructions) to see if maybe it also needed power on the siren side to operate and I got nothing. I took the case off and checked all the relays and light outputs with a check light to see if they were getting power; all of the relays were getting power but none of the outputs for the lighting were getting power, nor was the remote control panel. The only output that was getting power was the output labeled "E/AUX", and it was constant even when the control panel wouldnt work or none of the other outputs were getting power; it was like a constant "hot". Everything seemed to be getting power that needed it, but nothing was outputting power. I had a touchmaster delta a couple of years ago and it wasnt this difficult to wire up. When you say ignition sense and ground, what are you referring to specifically?
You are missing the ground and ignition wire as stated above. Pay attention to the picture in the PDF for the pin out is upside down as the notched "V"side is down in the unit but up in the picture.[/QUOTE]

Extremedetail

Apr 18, 2014
Alabama
If I understand you correctly you omitted the 12 pin harness, if that's the case you're missing the ignition sense and ground wire. You didn't mention it and your pics don't show it so I have to ask- did you include the gray modular phone cable between the head and the amp?
You are missing the ground and ignition wire as stated above. Pay attention to the picture in the PDF for the pin out is upside down as the notched "V"side is down in the unit but up in the picture.
[/QUOTE]
I'm assuming the ignition wire is marked as the power wire in the diagram?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.