So I was wondering...

dfuzz78

May 22, 2010
USA, Western Washington
So I was wondering why someone doesn't make a 200 watt siren speaker. It sure would make it a whole lot easier for installs and such. It only seems logical with mostly all of the newer sirens having a 200 watt output.

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
In my opinion, the reason you do not see many 200 watt speakers is #1, no one makes a 200 watt siren driver, at least I have never seen one. Atlas sound does have a Y adapter to allow you to use 2 100 watt drivers with some speaker housings but some people say that two drivers in one housing could have some volume canceling effects depending on the housing design. Federal's CP-200 appears to mount 2 100 watt drivers facing each other in one housing. Since doubling the power theoretically gives a 3db increase in volume, I guess one could measure with a db meter to see if its worth it.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Henry455 said:
In my opinion, the reason you do not see many 200 watt speakers is #1, no one makes a 200 watt siren driver, at least I have never seen one.

Whelen has several 200 watt sirens, such as the 295HFSA1 and the 295HFSA7.

Code 3 has a 200 watt version of the Mastercom as an option.

Federal Signal has a 200 watt version of the PA300, its model is MSB.

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
Yea, maybe I should have said "siren speaker driver".

Wikipedia

"A speaker driver is an individual transducer that converts electrical energy to sound waves, typically as part of a loudspeaker, television, or other electronics device."

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
For high power siren operation, two speakers sound better than one.

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
I use 2 dynamax speakers behind the grill of my silverado, I have them placed as far apart as i can , and there slightly pointed out at an angle, I run a Unitrol 8101, with dual U-90 amps, theoretically each U-90 will do 200 watts , I was toying with adding 2 more speakers (as a test only) just to see if there was a big differance in the sound, I went with 2 dynamax speakers and the extra U-90 so i can run the dual mode tones, its sounds sweet and it sounds like the Calvary has arrived

but the one thing that sucks is that I only get 1 amp to fire off if I hit the air horn, I wouldnt mind 200 watts for that any ideas there for the unitrol guys?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.