Softlights.org vs. Vehicle Lighting

RCMoeur

Apr 26, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
While reviewing comments on the new draft of the federal Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) dealing with traffic signs, signals, markings, and other devices, I came across a comment from a group called "Soft Lights". The mission statement on their website reads: "We are citizens from around the globe who recognize the drastic changes to our environment caused by overly bright, high energy, blue spectrum LED lights. Our goal is to convince our local, state and country governments to require lights that are compatible with human biology." However, there are no staff, member, or board listings, so it may just be one or a few people opposed to many types of lighting.

For an idea of their viewpoint on vehicle lighting, see this page: http://www.softlights.org/light-pollution/ In their own words: "These lights are torture and distracting. They are appearing on radio towers, bridges, stop signs, yield signs, police cars, ambulances, fire trucks, garbage trucks, highway maintenance vehicles, tow trucks and moving trucks. We are rapidly approaching a point where it will be impossible to look in any direction without being assaulted by a strobing light." This is followed by "LED strobe lights are mental torture because LED lights go on and off in a digital way. There is no time for the brain to keep up with the change in the intensity of the light. The faster the strobe, the more painful it becomes. In some locations, there are multiple strobe lights occurring at the same time, fighting for your attention. This is actually a torture technique called Sensory Overload."

It's unclear how much actual influence or power this group has, but it seems that if they were to have their way that nearly all types of vehicle warning lights would be prohibited or eliminated.

Just thought I'd pass it on.

• Haha
Reactions: SEPD_52

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
This movement may have started with the turtle repopulation efforts on the coasts, where turtles were drawn by artificial lighting near and on houses, causing them to lay their eggs in areas that wouldn't support being a nest.
I also know from researching real estate a few years back that the issue of decreasing dark areas is real, often combined with the use of 24/7 lighting. In the "old" days (2000), most people used timers on their lights to prolong bulb life and reduce electric costs. Now, with the low cost of LED's, they simply leave the lights on all day and night.
That said, kvetching about emergency lights has nothing to do with any of those issues.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
In the "old" days (2000), most people used timers on their lights to prolong bulb life and reduce electric costs. Now, with the low cost of LED's, they simply leave the lights on all day and night.

I was one that had a timer on my outside lights. I agree with the statement of low cost of running LEDs (all of my lights are LED, inside and out). But nowadays (given the high unemployment rate for one) and criminals traveling farther away from inner cities, I now have my lights on dusk to dawn. It’s the sad truth.
But I am now where near any water bodies so I don’t have to worry about turtles.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Living rural I try to limit my light pollution and energy consumption. Lights at my house are LEDs in and out. I leave the driveway post lights on timer (dusk to like 1am) and everything else exterior is motion sensor. Let's the critters do their thing but yet if I hear a "bump" I can check it out easier, especially in these times.

As far as the blinkies on my vehicle, they aren't on that much and when they are it's because I'm responding to a bonafide emergency. So I doubt it affects any wildlife that much and is only temporary to nearby motorists....plus they draw less power so less need for the vehicle charging system which in turn saves fuel....insert snarky pfffftttt face here, lol.

Softlights reasoning sounds legit but the realist in me says it seems more foil hat type of stuff.

Reactions: JazzDad

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
I have heard that some locals are now fining people who have solar powered outdoor led lights that flash or pulse when the batteries no longer charger completely. I dismissed it until I read this. Wow.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Just because there is a comment doesn't mean it will affect the next edition of the manual in any way.

RabnaPole

Feb 13, 2023
USA
It's great to see that people are taking an active interest in the impact of lighting on our environment and health.

However, we can't deny that vehicle lighting serves an important safety purpose.
But there also are minutes of overly bright and high-energy LED lights. Maybe there could be a way to balance the need for safety with the well-being of citizens. Who knows, perhaps technology could lead to the development of LED lights that are brighter but less harsh on the eyes and brain. Though there are some options for commercial vehicle leds lights which already are near to the perfect balance

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: fp13-2

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
There is some interesting science behind human perception of light and movement, it is worth trip down the google rabbit hole. It's not new, we discussed it back in 1998 on here when people wanted to know why red and blue lights appeared at different heights at a distance at night. We went on to discuss strobes being too bright or having too much on vs. off time. Then when LEDs hit we began (and still are) discussing split flash fail and "purple blob" problems. Lights are only as good as their implementation. Whelen DVI seems to try to address this by making LEDs behave more like traditional light sources. The interesting part for me is that light brightness is essentially an arms race of sorts. Ambient distraction increases and warning light brightness increases. It becomes a never-ending cycle of one-upmanship between the outside world and lights designed for safety.

Personally I would love to see light pollution decrease. I remember being able to see the stars at night by driving a few minutes outside town. Now the lights on barns and houses are bright enough to make ambient light pollution without being in a full city. I also remember when you needed to mix a clear sealed beam into the lightbar because red just wasn't attention getting enough even in "darker conditions". Lights are technology and technology is controlled by need/demand. LEDs are brighter, cheaper, and draw less power than previous technology. They also work in a manner that allows their on/off cycles to be more precise and appear less natural. This can be good from an attention getting standpoint but bad from a distraction standpoint.

This isn't as simple as "more lights good, less lights bad" or "less lights good, more lights bad". This is a complex issue with roots in many different portions of modern life.

Reactions: Tango7

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.