Solar panel on lightbar?

Apr 12, 2012
NC / TN / CT / SD
Ok i have been seeing a few around

what is the point of a solar panel on top of a light bar?

(i did try to search and came up with nada)

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
probably a battery maintaner

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
That as explained above is a battery maintainer. I see alot of GSA, and DHS units with bars that are built by Unicor. Even some unmarked and slicktop uints have a small 3x5 panel on the dash at the base of the windshield.

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
Last edited by a moderator:

mdonaldson

Sep 5, 2012
Texas
CrystalCoastUpfitters said:
gotcha thanks guys :thumbsup:

You are indeed correct. The Solar Pulse is designed to offset Key Off Parasitic loads to ensure the vehicle starts when needed. Currently SolarPulse is used by many Police Fleets and the US Customs and Border Patrol. If you would like additional information I will be happy to share with you all of the PulseTech employments.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Is there an echo in here??? :crazy:

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
I was in the mountains of North Carolina a few weeks ago. There was a NCHP car sitting in a work zone. It was covered in dust and no one in it. Looks like it had been sitting there for a while. The lightbar was on as is normal, to warn motorists. On the trunk, was a huge solar panel. It covered the whole trunk lid. Was really a strange set up. The lightbar was a strobe bar so I doubt that solar panel was running the bar, but who knows. Im thinking it may be used to supplement the charging of the battery, as the alternator at idle for extended periods of time may not be able to keep up a good charge.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.