Soldering issue

Frooom

Dec 6, 2012
NH
Hey all,

I'm modding 4 whelen LR11 to take the MR11 wires/plugs from my 911ep millenium. Got 3 done fine, but the 4th sucked. The wee little rings that are embedded in the board came out, so now I have no way to make metal-metal contact to pass power. Anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to repair this? Kinda thinking my LR11 is a lost cause now :/

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Without seeing the item in question, my response unfortunately will be rather limited.

If there is any exposed copper or trace wiring on the pcb, you could use some flux and abit of solder to "Tin" the pads. Then in turn solder the rings back in place and presto.

The more involved option is to scrape away at the PCB to reveal the circuit your trying to connect to and then solder a jumper wire to it. I have had to do this with old brittle arcade boards.

Good luck,

Rob

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Without seeing the item in question, my response unfortunately will be rather limited.

If there is any exposed copper or trace wiring on the pcb, you could use some flux and abit of solder to "Tin" the pads. Then in turn solder the rings back in place and presto.

The more involved option is to scrape away at the PCB to reveal the circuit your trying to connect to and then solder a jumper wire to it. I have had to do this with old brittle arcade boards.

Good luck,

Rob
But then you can also contact Mr Wilson and he might be able to give you a good idea or be able to fix it

Reactions: wilsonbr90

Frooom

Dec 6, 2012
NH
But then you can also contact Mr Wilson and he might be able to give you a good idea or be able to fix it
What's his handle here? Here's the PCB. I did find what looks like the trace leads that would have connected to the socket rings. I did test trying to put 12v to them and didn't get it working. My craptastic voltmeter doesn't do continuity, so I can't tell what issue might exist. Kinda bummed, did 3 out of 4 wire swaps just fine, this one I think I was accidentally too low on temp.

Attachments

• IMG_0977.jpg
    IMG_0977.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 14

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
Just an idea: Is it possible its a two-layer board where you may have to look for and expose traces on the bottom too?

Frooom

Dec 6, 2012
NH
Just an idea: Is it possible its a two-layer board where you may have to look for and expose traces on the bottom too?
I don't think so, the ring was on the top. I've exposed the pathways or what looks like the pathways. I tried to run12v both ways and got nothing. Wondering if I killed it with heat perhaps. Not sure.

IMG_0995 (1).jpg

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
Hmmm -- I just took one apart and it looks to me like the board is two sided . I measured continuity between the pad and wire circled below. I also found at least one other exposure on the bottom side that also showed continuity. HTH

1648832260062.png

Reactions: Frooom

Frooom

Dec 6, 2012
NH
Well shit. I wonder if I'm screwed on this one, I don't have the necessary tools for fine soldering. uuuggghhhh gonna be a PITA to find a single LR11 to finish my bar.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.