SOLVED - FedSig Valor / SSP300B Bench Testing Help

TacoMonster

Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Hoping for some help.

I purchased two complete Valor + SmartSiren + and Control Heads at auction from a local police department for a profanely low price. The PD says they were pulled from service 100% operational, and I have no reason to doubt them - they always have nice, expensive new toys (their new setup has loaded W Legacy Trios).

Anyway, when bench testing, and connecting the lightbar, siren, and control head to 12VDC, and connecting the lightbar and controller serial cables, the control and siren come to life, but the lightbar is not responsive. I reset the SS to factory defaults, but no change. Same result on both Valor bars (lightbar no go flashy-flashy), with both SSP300s and both control heads, even after swapping parts around. Am I missing a step?

TacoMonster

Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Did you program the Platinum to what lightbar you have and select what patterns you want to come on with which buttons/slide switch
Yes, I connected to the Platinum in the Convergence software and it's setup correctly.
I'm thinking I may have a serial cable issue between the control head and the Platinum. When I plug in the cable "SM PWR" and "Aux PWR" lightup, but there's no activity on the TX/RX lights. The siren functions also aren't working - so that might be the culprit. Thoughts? Does anyone have the pinout of the cable?

TacoMonster

Jul 1, 2010
Texas
A possibility could be not enough amps to fire the bar... what power source are you using for bench testing?
Good thought - but I hope it's not trying to draw THAT much... I'm using a 650CCA deep cycle RV/Marine battery with a good charge.

Menachem S

May 1, 2017
Brooklyn
Yes, I connected to the Platinum in the Convergence software and it's setup correctly.
I'm thinking I may have a serial cable issue between the control head and the Platinum. When I plug in the cable "SM PWR" and "Aux PWR" lightup, but there's no activity on the TX/RX lights. The siren functions also aren't working - so that might be the culprit. Thoughts? Does anyone have the pinout of the cable?
Just btw you can plug the lightbar directly into the control head and bypass the amp to test it

Reactions: TacoMonster

TacoMonster

Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Just btw you can plug the lightbar directly into the control head and bypass the amp to test it

SeeTheLight.gif

This was a huge help in troubleshooting. Thanks!

In the end - everything works except one control head. I'll try factory defaulting it, looking for cooked parts on the PCB, and telling it how special it is - or use this as an excuse to buy a 6-button control head that I really wanted anyway.

Menachem S

May 1, 2017
Brooklyn
Just by the way as far as a 6 button control head they are super rare to find the ones that control platinum sirens

Also you can't play with programming on them they are locked however you get them from federal

Last edited:
Reactions: TacoMonster

TacoMonster

Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Update - the control head was still under FedSig's 5 years warranty - they repaired it in about one week and I was only out $8 in postage. Great customer service!

Reactions: Tango7

Impala9C1

Sep 28, 2018
Arizona
Do you need a controller to bench test? I just got one and powered the red and grounded the black wires and get nothing. I powered it straight from the car battery.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
For a Valor (Or any CN/Convergence Network Light) it HAS to be a Smart Siren Platinum KeyPad. A regular SS KeyPad will NOT run a Valor.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.