Some of the CHP light patterns

VMAN

Jun 5, 2012
US - California
Found this video of a friendly officer showing this guy how the lights work. I think it's awesome that CHP officers have so much control over their lights.

Last edited by a moderator:

vc859

Oct 31, 2010
USA/ New York
The red mirror light is actually "steady burn" right? The camera just picks up on the very rapid flashing of it, since LED's don't have a true steady burn.

Also, I know that CHP gets a lot of EVOC training, I guess that is when they go over the lighting systems. Most of the police officers I know, barely know how to change patterns on the arrowstik.

Reactions: BLUELIGHT

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
vc859 said:
The red mirror light is actually "steady burn" right? The camera just picks up on the very rapid flashing of it, since LED's don't have a true steady burn.

Yes it is steady burn. It looks like all of them are when in park... There has to be a video on here somewhere...

VMAN

Jun 5, 2012
US - California
Hoff said:
Yes it is steady burn. It looks like all of them are when in park... There has to be a video on here somewhere...

Yeah they are steady burn, I think it must have something to do with the frames per second of the camera he was using.

You'll see the front lighting switch to steady burn when the officers roll up at 1:23

(also note how the lights change from wig-wag to all flashing when the sirens are put on yelp)

I'm assuming they are using either custom whelen lightheads with different mode priority capabilities, or every single lighthead is set to steady burn and hooked up to some proprietary flasher the CHP has. Would like to see more agencies have setups like these

Last edited by a moderator:

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
VMAN said:
Anyone know what model that bar is on the rear deck? Is everything hooked up to a cantrol system?
I think the rear TA is a specially made CHP model.

chono

Jun 5, 2010
Midwest
What I don't understand is why dont they just use the blue right away? Why wait to get the attention with red first and then use blue.

Reactions: DRMOed

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
vc859 said:

Also, I know that CHP gets a lot of EVOC training, I guess that is when they go over the lighting systems. Most of the police officers I know, barely know how to change patterns on the arrowstik.

You are correct! LED's do flash, even when on steady burn. Watch Top Gear (BBC) and you will see brake, tail, DRL, and headlights that are LED doing the dance.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Nice to see that im running my lights like they do. Im not from Cali im from Texas but i try to run my lights like them i dont know why but i just love the idea most people from the area think my lights are "broken" because of the steady burn. I run mostly Federal Signal i have a Federal Signal RAYDIAN and it has the cali steady burn red to the front and also run a Federal signal VIPER S2 with steady burn and when not in an emergency my rear flashers are only amber blue on my directional.

ALSO it might be just my OCD kicking in but did anyone notice some of the LED's burnt out on that rear deck bar on the first video "blue led" and one of the amber moduels had some leds missing.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Station 3 said:
ALSO it might be just my OCD kicking in but did anyone notice some of the LED's burnt out on that rear deck bar on the first video "blue led" and one of the amber moduels had some leds missing.

I saw it too and accidentally posted about it on the other CHP thread. I guess it's out since they didn't bother to raise it about the center mount brake light.

arsenal10

Jun 9, 2010
California
VMAN said:
(also note how the lights change from wig-wag to all flashing when the sirens are put on yelp)

I'm assuming they are using either custom whelen lightheads with different mode priority capabilities, or every single lighthead is set to steady burn and hooked up to some proprietary flasher the CHP has. Would like to see more agencies have setups like these

I noticed that too, on the rear lightbar changing patterns as they go through that first intersection. Not sure why changing the siren tone should change the rear pattern to a steady-on flash.

I also believe that they are using a proprietary control/flashing system and that the Whelen bar is made compatible with what they are using.

In general I like how they do their lighting set ups. I'd be interested in seeing what/if they did any studies on the rear-seady-blue-burn when stopped with traffic arrow. I find them being the easiest set-up pattern wise & color-wise to track as I approach.

arsenal10

Jun 9, 2010
California
RyanZ71 said:
What's up with those pointless little twinkle lights on the front bumper on the first video?

They are a LINZ6 style light head called "Raider" from whelen. They are intersection lights angled and partially hidden behind the push bumper. They are there to protect them when they decide to do a pit maneuver. Unless your talking about the flicking? They are in steady burn, the camera is playing tricks on us.

vc859

Oct 31, 2010
USA/ New York
Please tell me that trunk tray isn't usually positioned like that.

How is an officer supposed to carry any equipment at all with that in the trunk?

arsenal10

Jun 9, 2010
California
vc859 said:
Please tell me that trunk tray isn't usually positioned like that.

How is an officer supposed to carry any equipment at all with that in the trunk?

Pretty sure it slides in and under the rear passenger seat back.

VMAN

Jun 5, 2012
US - California
Yeah it looks like it was just slid out for the photos.

And the laptop you see there is the CVPE by Rockwell-Collins (or iForce for other agencies). It is a computer that is basically interfaced with everything in the trunk. So the officer can control lights, siren, radios, scanners, radar all through the computer interface.

aw6j.png

arsenal10

Jun 9, 2010
California
VMAN said:
Yeah it looks like it was just slid out for the photos.

And the laptop you see there is the CVPE by Rockwell-Collins (or iForce for other agencies). It is a computer that is basically interfaced with everything in the trunk. So the officer can control lights, siren, radios, scanners, radar all through the computer interface.

View attachment 56612

Is this something new the CHP is doing? Like I said I have never seen a laptop PC in a CHP before.

VMAN

Jun 5, 2012
US - California
arsenal10 said:
Is this something new the CHP is doing? Like I said I have never seen a laptop PC in a CHP before.

Yup I think it is their primary hardware now. In another thread someone told me that they no longer use the old RANGR controllers by GE because they are not narrowband compliant.

Reno911

Sep 15, 2012
Southern Oregon
CHP equipment is pretty much all CHP specific. All the 2011 Crown Vics and new enforcement vehicles will have the computer system. The sliding trays began on the second batch of 09 Crown Vics that Motor Transport equipped.

Those computer/radio systems cost a crap ton, but if CHP continued using the older S810 there would be fines of some sort.

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
So does cantrol allow you to accomplish similar results as what CHP's has for their set up? If a slick top ran cantrol you could program your light heads such as avengers, m4's etc. to flash but also have a setting to set them all to steady burn if you wanted?

VMAN

Jun 5, 2012
US - California
coopers said:
So does cantrol allow you to accomplish similar results as what CHP's has for their set up? If a slick top ran cantrol you could program your light heads such as avengers, m4's etc. to flash but also have a setting to set them all to steady burn if you wanted?

I'm not too sure about cantrol and avengers because a dual avenger wouldn't let you control each lighthead individually. You could probably replicate it by mounting two raiders or lin6s side by side.

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
VMAN said:
I'm not too sure about cantrol and avengers because a dual avenger wouldn't let you control each lighthead individually. You could probably replicate it by mounting two raiders or lin6s side by side.

Ah okay that makes sense.

arsenal10

Jun 9, 2010
California
coopers said:

It's a raider not an avenger, with a custom shield. Also it is probably a custom made raider, hardware and software wise. Almost everything is custom made for them.

vc859

Oct 31, 2010
USA/ New York
I notice they have tabs on the computer for the radio/l/s and the CAD software.

Does the officer have to keep switching screens to read the updates on his calls and work the siren/emergency equipment

556fmj

Aug 17, 2011
CA
VMAN said:
I think they can also control the lights and siren using that hand grip and little box of buttons below the keyboard

The Rockwell system allows for voice commands to turn on the Whelen lightbar /radio functions. From what I was shown, that controller at the bottom allows for the officer to toggle through various functions as well.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.