some old rigs that I found part # 3

rick h.

May 21, 2010
Green Bank WV.
I really liked the Chev. caprices .He had 4 (I think) not including the station wagon and they all had the LT1 engine . He also had several CV's sitting around.

fedsig7

May 20, 2010
Santa Rosa, California
There a place just like this one near me. Hundreds of old vehicles, many of them being old emergency vehicles. The people who own dont want to part with anything. So annoying.

We should have a junkyard / old rigs thread! I love looking at pictures like these.

plybeep68

Aug 29, 2011
Jonesborough TN
Great pictures! How many hours or days did you spend there?? I would spend a week! lol , I love looking at old emergency vehicles. The biggest problem i have ran into is the owners will not let you look thru there vehicles because someone has been there before you and stolen something!

rick h.

May 21, 2010
Green Bank WV.
plybeep68 said:
Great pictures! How many hours or days did you spend there?? I would spend a week! lol , I love looking at old emergency vehicles. The biggest problem i have ran into is the owners will not let you look thru there vehicles because someone has been there before you and stolen something!

I only had about a Hour and half to spend looking.There were several areas that had more vehicles inside ,but was to dark to get good pics .I am hoping to go back again in a couple of weeks or so and maybe the Owner will be there

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
fedsig7 said:
There a place just like this one near me. Hundreds of old vehicles, many of them being old emergency vehicles. The people who own dont want to part with anything. So annoying.

Try doing what Doran suggested in Rick's first thread:

lotsofbars said:
In my experience, the best way to coax items off people who don't want to get rid of items is to make it obvious how much you want said items. If the owner's not one to sell things, make sure that he knows that you're willing and able to remove everything yourself. And, assuming he doesn't know the worth of the items, start with a very low offer and keep adding money to your "offering" price so it seems that you're willing to pay him a lot more than he would usually get for something. This has worked for me in the past, I hope it works for you!

If they still won't want to, here's some questions I'd ask them and statements I'd make:

"Well, are you going to fix up all those emergency vehicles out there for car shows and parades, even though they've been sitting for years and years, haven't budged an inch and will cost thousands each in themselves? That's a lot to do for one person, don't you think?"

"I'll be the one getting dirty and such taking off the lights. You don't have to 'cause I find it interesting to do this sort of thing."

"Times have changed and those old lights will never be used on a current emergency vehicle because everything has gone LED or strobe and moving away from sealed beam and halogen because of high amperage issues. So, what is the purpose of keeping them if someone's willing to pay for 'em and nobody else has inquired to?"

"It's my hobby collecting these old lights. If you're concerned about me being dumb and slapping these lights on a truck or car, I would not do an asinine thing like that. They will be restored and live on a shelf for the rest of their existence. That's it."

"I've got to ask then: What are YOUR plans to do with the lights I'm inquiring about?"

"If somebody else asked about these lights, what was their offer? I'd might be able to do you one better."

It takes time to make somebody realize they have potential to pocket some cash and get rid of some stuff at the same time. If they are still REALLY, REALLY stubborn about selling, then tell them that's a shame, because those lights are something that they could profit on, and the chance to get that extra buck is walking out the door and probably won't come back because they are that stubborn. I had that happen to me in Mandan at an auto salvage yard in July.

A decent-shape clear-lensed 12F TwinSonic with all amber bulbs and flashers was mounted on a wrecked service truck. I hoped that the owner was not at the desk when I went in to ask and just his employees, but sure as snot, he was. I inquired about it and in 2 seconds, he said "No, I need that." I asked why if it's an old sealed-beam light and most tow trucks today have LEDs or strobes? He said then "I've got a wrecker with a busted light and I ain't spending $500 bucks to get a new strobe or LED beacon." Okay, that didn't make sense due to the fact they only got 2 trucks with full-size Jetstreams on them, but whatever, I wasn't feeling like arguing. So, I said I'd like to take some pictures of it, left my number, and asked them to call me if they wanted to sell. My plan after that was to drive by there every time I went to Bismarck and see if that owner was serious and possibly inquire in a few months if the lightbar was still on the truck. I drove by there about 5 or 6 times in the span of a couple months, and sure enough the damn truck still sat with the Twin on it. About two months ago, that service truck just disappered when I made a quick run to Bismarck and passed by on the way out. Either that owner was serious with his intentions, or he just moved the truck out of sight so no one else would ask about the lightbar. I've pretty much given up on going to that place again because of the owner's unwillingness to work with customers inquiring on unique items. The chance to make a buck is right in front of him, why not take it? I will never know....

End of schpeel. Back to the awesome pictures of Rick's adventure :haha: !

Last edited by a moderator:

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Respondcode3 said:
All these rigs and just sitting there to rot.. No one in their lifetime can ever restore all those.. Its a shame..
With the proper money they could be done. There is an outfit in NJ that restores old pieces for companies, they have done a ton of different antique and older vehicles to look brand new.

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
theroofable said:
With the proper money they could be done. There is an outfit in NJ that restores old pieces for companies, they have done a ton of different antique and older vehicles to look brand new.

with enough money anything can be done.. Will it no.. Sounds like the typical hoarder..He is going to hang on to these and make some money.. In reality he dies off. No one wants to deal with it and they all get sold for scrap. That Aherns-fox is worth a shit ton of money as it sits. I doubt it will ever see daylight again...

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
While pictures like this are definitely interesting to look at, they quickly remind me how I will never be able to understand how a hoarder's brain works. My lack of understanding their mentality quickly turns to disappointment. I understand these vehicles belong to someone, and he can do whatever he wants with them, but why would you collect things to watch them rot away on your property?

This is the same mentality shared by people who come out on television shows like American Pickers. These elderly people are holding on to items they are never going to do anything with.

I think a lot of these hoarders like telling people no. They like the attention their lightbars, or fire trucks, or police cars get them. They want people to ask them if those things are for sale so they can say no. They probably get a thrill from saying those things aren't for sale.

I would stay away from asking the owner why he won't sell. The litany of questions posted above aren't going to convince a hoarder to sell you anything. If anything, they are just going to infuriate the owner. Like I mentioned before, the owner doesn't owe anybody an explanation as to why they don't want to sell their items.

That being said, there are plenty of hoarders on this site as well. I know I'm not going to make any new friends with what I'm about to say, but many people here would probably just strip those vehicles of their emergency lighting and leave the vehicles to rust as well. I know there's a hearse enthusiast who mentioned he would like to restore some of those vehicles, and I'm sure there are those on the site who would try and restore some of those emergency vehicles, but for the most part, I would think most here would just pop those lightbars, beacons, and sirens off of those trucks and add them to your collection. There are a lot of stand up people on this site. There are those who give things to other collectors. I have sold things and given things away to members on the board. I have bought and received things for free from members on the board as well. But there are also those who hoard lightbars and try to make hundreds of dollars off of things that cost them next to nothing. I will never understand that, either. I guess I wouldn't make a very good businessman, but I don't think I would find a beacon in a barn, pay 20 dollars for it, then turn around and try to sell the beacon for 350 dollars.

There are collectors on the site who collect lightbars and hide them away in some storage shed, never to be seen again. There are collectors who would much rather buy a lightbar they already have a dozen of and add it to the pile rather than tell someone who doesn't have one where they got it. This isn't just an issue in emergency light collecting. This is something that happens in every collecting community. This happens in patch collecting also. If I know someone is looking for a rare patch, and I can get them that patch at a cheap price, I won't try and make money off of the collector. I've bought patches and given them to other collectors for free. I'm not a candidate for sainthood, I'm just saying there are several people in our hobby just like the owner of those emergency vehicles.

Collectors are some of the most cutthroat, ruthless people out there. They'd just as soon step over their own grandmother to get something rather than let someone else get their hands on it. It really is disappointing this person is unwilling to sell some of the items he clearly isn't using, but in my 20+ years of collecting, it doesn't surprise me in the least.

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
CrownVic97 said:
Try doing what Doran suggested in Rick's first thread:

If they still won't want to, here's some questions I'd ask them and statements I'd make:

"Well, are you going to fix up all those emergency vehicles out there for car shows and parades, even though they've been sitting for years and years, haven't budged an inch and will cost thousands each in themselves? That's a lot to do for one person, don't you think?"

"I'll be the one getting dirty and such taking off the lights. You don't have to 'cause I find it interesting to do this sort of thing."

"Times have changed and those old lights will never be used on a current emergency vehicle because everything has gone LED or strobe and moving away from sealed beam and halogen because of high amperage issues. So, what is the purpose of keeping them if someone's willing to pay for 'em and nobody else has inquired to?"

"It's my hobby collecting these old lights. If you're concerned about me being dumb and slapping these lights on a truck or car, I would not do an asinine thing like that. They will be restored and live on a shelf for the rest of their existence. That's it."

"I've got to ask then: What are YOUR plans to do with the lights I'm inquiring about?"

"If somebody else asked about these lights, what was their offer? I'd might be able to do you one better."

It takes time to make somebody realize they have potential to pocket some cash and get rid of some stuff at the same time. If they are still REALLY, REALLY stubborn about selling, then tell them that's a shame, because those lights are something that they could profit on, and the chance to get that extra buck is walking out the door and probably won't come back because they are that stubborn. I had that happen to me in Mandan at an auto salvage yard in July.

A decent-shape clear-lensed 12F TwinSonic with all amber bulbs and flashers was mounted on a wrecked service truck. I hoped that the owner was not at the desk when I went in to ask and just his employees, but sure as snot, he was. I inquired about it and in 2 seconds, he said "No, I need that." I asked why if it's an old sealed-beam light and most tow trucks today have LEDs or strobes? He said then "I've got a wrecker with a busted light and I ain't spending $500 bucks to get a new strobe or LED beacon." Okay, that didn't make sense due to the fact they only got 2 trucks with full-size Jetstreams on them, but whatever, I wasn't feeling like arguing. So, I said I'd like to take some pictures of it, left my number, and asked them to call me if they wanted to sell. My plan after that was to drive by there every time I went to Bismarck and see if that owner was serious and possibly inquire in a few months if the lightbar was still on the truck. I drove by there about 5 or 6 times in the span of a couple months, and sure enough the damn truck still sat with the Twin on it. About two months ago, that service truck just disappered when I made a quick run to Bismarck and passed by on the way out. Either that owner was serious with his intentions, or he just moved the truck out of sight so no one else would ask about the lightbar. I've pretty much given up on going to that place again because of the owner's unwillingness to work with customers inquiring on unique items. The chance to make a buck is right in front of him, why not take it? I will never know....

End of schpeel. Back to the awesome pictures of Rick's adventure :haha: !

To a point though, its it kinda sad to remove those lights from apparatus thats in such good restorable condition? I mean I understand that fact if they sit there and rot and will get ruined, but if there is a possibility of the stuff getting restored at some point in its life, I would hate to get one and have the original lights removed and hafta hunt em down and buy em from someone. Just my two cents.

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Great Pics, lots of great vehicles here. This Cadillac ambulance is my favorite, so far! I'd take it in a heart beat! Granted I'd love me an Ahrens-Fox or American Lafrance too! I'd also love to see the rest of this "Aliquippa" beast!

DSCN0586.jpg

DSCN0588.jpg

DSCN0633.jpg

DSCN0645.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I'd love to see more pics of pro-car ambos and hearses. There's a nice black mid-1960s Superior hearse somewhere in one of those photos.

rick h.

May 21, 2010
Green Bank WV.
JennyCop said:
Great Pics, lots of great vehicles here. This Cadillac ambulance is my favorite, so far! I'd take it in a heart beat! Granted I'd love me an Ahrens-Fox or American Lafrance too! I'd also love to see the rest of this "Aliquippa" beast!

Jenny that is the best I could do on the Aliquippa Rig as it is in a very tight area to move around in .The White Cad. Ambulace starred in a movie but with old age I cannot remember what one

guy m.

May 23, 2010
Honesdale, PA 18431
fedsig7 said:

We should have a junkyard / old rigs thread! I love looking at pictures like these.

I guess that you are meaning Hank Dally's on Scenic rd? I bought a 1976 Pontiac LeMans Green & White former Sheriff's car for $600.00 and a 1975 Plymouth Fury 1 also Green & White for $550.00 from him years ago.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
If I were you in this situation, Rick, just inquire about the lights not attached to any vehicles, like in your pics here. Maybe the owner will let those go, who knows?

ai870.photobucket.com_albums_ab264_rickh100_DSCN0647.jpg

ai870.photobucket.com_albums_ab264_rickh100_DSCN0646.jpg

ai870.photobucket.com_albums_ab264_rickh100_DSCN0637.jpg

I'd go for all the 184s/CJ184s and the two XL bars. The StreetHawks can wait for the next person.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Streethawk heaven and not a white or a red one in the lot.

Unless on the bottom.

rick h.

May 21, 2010
Green Bank WV.
chief1565 said:
Streethawk heaven and not a white or a red one in the lot.
Unless on the bottom.

I did see 1 red streethawk sitting on the ground outside, I think I seen a few more inside . There were alot more Beacons,kightbars ,etc that I did not have time to take pics of

rick h.

May 21, 2010
Green Bank WV.
CrownVic97 said:
If I were you in this situation, Rick, just inquire about the lights not attached to any vehicles, like in your pics here. Maybe the owner will let those go, who knows?

ai870.photobucket.com_albums_ab264_rickh100_DSCN0647.jpg

ai870.photobucket.com_albums_ab264_rickh100_DSCN0646.jpg

ai870.photobucket.com_albums_ab264_rickh100_DSCN0637.jpg

I'd go for all the 184s/CJ184s and the two XL bars. The StreetHawks can wait for the next person.

Since the Owner was not present I did not pursue trying to purchase anything .

HearseGuy

Nov 15, 2012
Virginia
JennyCop,

That ambulance is one of my favorites too. She is a 1941 S&S. Very beautiful pre-war procar.

Wailer,

Check out ProfessionalCarSociety.org Theres more procar pics in there than you can look at in one day!

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Interesting seeing that pumper with the hoses and air bottles on it. Like it came from a fire, and went straight to the junk yard.

MARSMAN

Jun 14, 2011
LAS VEGAS NV. USA
This guy sounds like a ass-wipe if he dont want to sell anything. Tell him if he dont sell you something your going to send A&E over to film an episode of "Hoarders"!

NoVAFed

Dec 28, 2011
Earth, USA, Northern VA
Fantastic pictures. There is probably equipment in that lot you will never see anywhere else. It's mind boggling how much old stuff is stashed away in this country. Pride and joy one day, useless junk the next. Really a shame.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
rick h. said:
I really liked the Chev. caprices .He had 4 (I think) not including the station wagon and they all had the LT1 engine . He also had several CV's sitting around.

I'd gladly take that red Caprice chief's car. I just love the Caprices....period. You've gotta grab that old 78 doubletone siren off that old Caddie ambulance next time you see it; not to mention that rare old Trippe light on the roof.

Lightbarnut

Jun 9, 2010
Palatka, Florida.
Since this seems to be a popular thread, I'll add my 2 cents.

I've seen several examples both online and in-person of situations where the person had acres full of vehicles of all kinds or just a small pile of lightbars/beacons and they refused to even give a figure for what they would sell them for. My strategy for dealing with that problem is this: Wait them out. Usually the person in question is old, and no one lives forever. If you wait long enough and keep an ear to the ground of what is going on with them, they WILL die eventually. Then you can be prepared to slide in at the right moment and offer either cash for an item or just help whoever remains haul off stuff and trade help/labor for a piece you want, etc; or if it is auctioned off you can see what the stuff is going for and if you are financially prepared, you maybe can get some of it on a bid.

I'm waiting out an old guy right now that has a Code 3 SD bar, several CJ-184s, a Streethawk and some assorted strobe beacons. He'll die, and as soon as I hear that he's gone I'll go and ask whoever is there if they want to sell.

Rick, whenever you go back, take as many hearse and ambulance pics as you can. There is a thread on the Professional Car Societys' web forum that is called 'Sad ProCars' or something to that effect. I'm sure they would like any of the pics you can get in it. Skip Goulet is a member there, you could send the pics to him and he could get them over there. Or you could join and post them yourself! :D Either way, great pics, thanks for posting all of them. :thumbsup:

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Lightbarnut said:
Rick, whenever you go back, take as many hearse and ambulance pics as you can.

Post them here too. I like fire engines, but I like pro-car ambos even more.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Lightbarnut said:
Since this seems to be a popular thread, I'll add my 2 cents.

I've seen several examples both online and in-person of situations where the person had acres full of vehicles of all kinds or just a small pile of lightbars/beacons and they refused to even give a figure for what they would sell them for. My strategy for dealing with that problem is this: Wait them out. Usually the person in question is old, and no one lives forever. If you wait long enough and keep an ear to the ground of what is going on with them, they WILL die eventually. Then you can be prepared to slide in at the right moment and offer either cash for an item or just help whoever remains haul off stuff and trade help/labor for a piece you want, etc; or if it is auctioned off you can see what the stuff is going for and if you are financially prepared, you maybe can get some of it on a bid.

I'm waiting out an old guy right now that has a Code 3 SD bar, several CJ-184s, a Streethawk and some assorted strobe beacons. He'll die, and as soon as I hear that he's gone I'll go and ask whoever is there if they want to sell.

Rick, whenever you go back, take as many hearse and ambulance pics as you can. There is a thread on the Professional Car Societys' web forum that is called 'Sad ProCars' or something to that effect. I'm sure they would like any of the pics you can get in it. Skip Goulet is a member there, you could send the pics to him and he could get them over there. Or you could join and post them yourself! :D Either way, great pics, thanks for posting all of them. :thumbsup:

I use a public computer, so I have no way of posting stuff like I could with my own. Go to the website and contact Paul Steinberg, who is president of PCS and moderator of the board. He can help.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Skip Goulet said:
I use a public computer, so I have no way of posting stuff like I could with my own. Go to the website and contact Paul Steinberg, who is president of PCS and moderator of the board. He can help.

I used to belong to Steinberg's group, but apparently he broke away from the old PCS discussion board and formed a new one with a bunch of like-minded members.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Wailer said:
I used to belong to Steinberg's group, but apparently he broke away from the old PCS discussion board and formed a new one with a bunch of like-minded members.

I joined that group in 1998 and had always been a regular member; but when some embezzling occured and it all went south I backed out. When I did re-enter for a while, they got way behind on the magazine, and after only 6 months I was getting rebilled for dues. That wasn't right, so I'm still out! Have you ever checked out the CA group's club, Professional Cars International? Their newsletter/magazine is monthly and in full color, and their dues are $25 annually.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.