Sound Off Pinnacle Mini LED - Mag mount or permanent mount?

Stimpy911

Nov 23, 2011
USA / Michigan
What are your thoughts about permanently mounting a mini light bar or just using magnet mounts? I am leaning towards magnets right now because I did not want holes drilled in my Silverado. Just looking for opinions and your experiences using mag mounts.

Thanks,

Steve

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
For a mini bar (especially one as small as the S.O.S Pinnacle) Magnets are more than enough... I'm not sure what size mags come with the Pinnacle, but if you are worried about it staying, you could upgrade to larger/stronger magnets...

I remember when I had my 22" Whelen Mini LFL I had 8, yes 8, 95lb Magnets on permenant mount feet... That thing was SOLID. Plus the extra height from the mount feet helped since it was a lifted truck...

Here's a pic of the truck... I wish I knew where I put the pic of the mags on the mount feet...

View attachment ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_Vehicles_Tahoe02.jpg

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
A lot of people will shun me for this, but I'm going to suggest it anyway...

Why not just run the cable in through the CHMSL (third brake light) at the top of the cab...? Just notch or drill a hole big enough for your lightbar cable to fit, then just seal it up with some clear silicone... I've done this numerous times with no problems what so ever... That's actually how BJ (triton911bj) and I ran his cable for his full-sized JetStream...

http://elightbars.org/forums/f34/b-b-lighting-solutions-2005-chevy-silverado-*updated-11-3-11*-394/

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
He wouldn't even have to notch or drill. Go to a hardware store, get a 2 place plug similar to a 4 wire trailer plug, or even just use a 4 wire trailer plug. Wire it thru the brake light, having the wire exit the bottom of the CHMSL and leave a drip loop to keep water out, then wire the other end of the plug to the lightbar (measuring wire to make sure you cut it long enough. The flat 4 place wire should seal right up against the truck. Then, when needed, plug in the bar and magnet it down. Remove when stowed. If you still wanted to use the cig plug, you could buy another 4 wire plug and wire that onto the cig cord for use on another vehicle. That way, you'd have power, negative, and pattern (as I assume the pattern button is on the switch like so many other bars).

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
rwo978 said:
He wouldn't even have to notch or drill. Go to a hardware store, get a 2 place plug similar to a 4 wire trailer plug, or even just use a 4 wire trailer plug. Wire it thru the brake light, having the wire exit the bottom of the CHMSL and leave a drip loop to keep water out, then wire the other end of the plug to the lightbar (measuring wire to make sure you cut it long enough. The flat 4 place wire should seal right up against the truck. Then, when needed, plug in the bar and magnet it down. Remove when stowed. If you still wanted to use the cig plug, you could buy another 4 wire plug and wire that onto the cig cord for use on another vehicle. That way, you'd have power, negative, and pattern (as I assume the pattern button is on the switch like so many other bars).

Thats EXACTLY how I had my Tahoe wired for its mini bars (custom mini-vector and the above pictured LFL). The only difference was I drilled my roof... LoL

But yes, the Flat-4 trailer plug is GREAT for wiring mini bars a for quick and easy removal when needed...

RMBROWN

May 20, 2010
Brooklyn.MI
I've used 4 90 lb magnets and 3 25lb magnets on my mini lightbar for 1.5 yrs now with no problems...+1 I also drive a silverado....

Stimpy911

Nov 23, 2011
USA / Michigan
rwo978 said:

By chance would you have a pic handy? I am not the smartest at times when it comes to stuff like this. I tend to visualize things much better.

Thanks for the options. This sounds like a good one.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Stimpy911 said:
By chance would you have a pic handy? I am not the smartest at times when it comes to stuff like this. I tend to visualize things much better.

Thanks for the options. This sounds like a good one.

Flat-4:

91039-40.jpg

Flat-2:

58020_a.jpg

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Thanks Triton.

I had this setup when I had my Ranger, but that was over 8 years ago, and I don't have any pics of that truck equipped.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.