SoundOff Configurator Software

Flyin5-0

Nov 11, 2018
OK
I'm looking for a brief tutorial on the use of the SoundOff Configurator Software.

Does it just "plug and play" with a micro USB to the breakout box or is there more to it?

SEPD_52

Dec 24, 2014
Illinois
I just learned about this late last night. Yes, basically it is a "plug and play".

Connect the SoS Breakout box to a computer by either RJ45/LAN or Micro USB to USB. Let the computer install the Breakout box driver and then go to SoS and download and open the Configurator Software. It will recognize the Breakout box when the program opens and it will open to the type of lightbar you have connected. You'll have to tell the software what lighthead is single/dual/triple colored and what else the lighthead is responsible for (takedown, scene light, dimming, cruise mode, etc.). After identifying each light, it's location and responsibility you can go to the 'flash patterns' tab and set each lighthead's pattern individually or as a whole all at once. There's so many features to choose from in the software I'd be typing for quite a while. Hopefully that kind of helps.

Reactions: Flyin5-0

Flyin5-0

Nov 11, 2018
OK
Thanks, SEPD. This is very helpful.

I’ve got a couple more questions if you’ve got a minute or two. Does plugging in to the breakout box wipe the existing “profile”? I’d like to leave everything as it is except for the scene lighting. I’m hoping to be able to make a change or two without having to program the entire bar.

Secondly, are there options within the configuration software to edit the behavior of the lights when the car is in park versus when the car is in drive? The setup I’m running right now changes the flash pattern when the car goes into park.

All that to say, I’d like to be able to change a thing or two without having to reprogram the entire light bar. Is this possible?

SEPD_52

Dec 24, 2014
Illinois
Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this.

Does plugging in to the breakout box wipe the existing “profile”?
No, at least it shouldn't. As soon as you open the program that asks if you want to save the current configuration or not.

"are there options within the configuration software to edit the behavior of the lights when the car is in park versus when the car is in drive?"
This all depends and how you have the wiring harness connected. The software allows you to specify what each wire on the wire harness does when it's connected to power, in addition to having multiple modes of operation. So really the options are kind of endless.

Even if you do have to reprogram the entire lightbar after looking around the software for a few minutes you'll pick up how to program everything.

Flyin5-0

Nov 11, 2018
OK
I might be able to help. It's been a few months since I've used the software though.

Thank you! To plug the break out box into the computer do you just unplug the LAN cable from the “lightbar” port on the breakout box and then plug in a LAN cable from there to the computer? I don’t see and extra LAN port.

Also, do the switches on the breakout box need to be switched to a “configure” setting or can they stay in their normal operating position?

I apologize for the crazy simple questions but I cannot seem to find any decent manuals on how this systems works.

SEPD_52

Dec 24, 2014
Illinois
Nope, no need to unplug the LAN. It's actually a micro-USB port on the breakout box that is used to connect to the computer. Obviously you'll need a USB A male to USB mini-B cable (super cheap on Amazon).

The DIP switches can stay in their normal position - I didn't change any DIP switches when Iast programmed an nForce interior bar.

Hopefully that helps.

Flyin5-0

Nov 11, 2018
OK
Nope, no need to unplug the LAN. It's actually a micro-USB port on the breakout box that is used to connect to the computer. Obviously you'll need a USB A male to USB mini-B cable (super cheap on Amazon).

The DIP switches can stay in their normal position - I didn't change any DIP switches when Iast programmed an nForce interior bar.

Hopefully that helps.

You’re the man!

Reactions: SEPD_52

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
Slight correction, it is a mini USB port on the breakout box, not micro. Like he stated, simply plug the breakout box into the laptop via a USB male to mini USB male. Then use the program to download the current flash map, and save that as a default/backup, then play around and upload it as you see fit.

As far as configuring how the lightbar changes with other vehicle inputs (ie Park), that all has to be done via BluePrint or physical wiring. Literally all the lightbar control software can do is flash patterns and stuff related.

Is your car a BluePrint car or not?

Flyin5-0

Nov 11, 2018
OK
Slight correction, it is a mini USB port on the breakout box, not micro. Like he stated, simply plug the breakout box into the laptop via a USB male to mini USB male. Then use the program to download the current flash map, and save that as a default/backup, then play around and upload it as you see fit.

As far as configuring how the lightbar changes with other vehicle inputs (ie Park), that all has to be done via BluePrint or physical wiring. Literally all the lightbar control software can do is flash patterns and stuff related.

Is your car a BluePrint car or not?

John, I am actually not sure if it is a BluePrint car or not but I have been curious about that myself. It would make this a lot easier if that is the case. I am just an officer who was issued this vehicle.

The people who did all the research and initial installs on these systems have since left our department and our newer install guys didn’t seem too sure about the system last time I spoke with them. I decided to try to learn about this system to help out and was given the “OK”.

I’m fairly tech savvy and enjoying learning, but I’m definitely not a professional install tech.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
I'm actually not sure if BluePrint makes it easier or not lol. It's not exactly the easiest software to use or find.

Does the main controller board, the one that has the switches and buttons, say BluePrint on it?

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
My biggest gripes about BluePRINT:

1) Aside from the main nForce light bars, all other lighting modules must be on the same flash pattern when flashing. For example, my car has nForce and mPower modules all over it. So I cannot have my rear license plate mPowers go "slow runner" while the front/side lights go "quint".

2) There can only be 3 buttons on the control panel that have double push capability. So my Arrow, Cruise, and Cage buttons are my 3, but I wish I could have another.

3) The printed button diagrams on the control panel itself can't be changed. Radio rebroadcast is something I have never used in a decade. So I programmed that button to be a rear light pursuit kill, which is great, except it still says Radio rebroadcast.

4) Lastly, and this is about the nForce light bars, the simultaneous flash patterns are fairly limited. The patterns themselves are not, but to get simultaneous flashing there's only a couple. Basically I wanted to program my rear bar to do the CHP rear pattern (Amber slow alternating with red and blue). There's only 1 pattern that makes this possible, and I'm not particularly impressed with it.

Flyin5-0

Nov 11, 2018
OK
My biggest gripes about BluePRINT:

1) Aside from the main nForce light bars, all other lighting modules must be on the same flash pattern when flashing. For example, my car has nForce and mPower modules all over it. So I cannot have my rear license plate mPowers go "slow runner" while the front/side lights go "quint".

2) There can only be 3 buttons on the control panel that have double push capability. So my Arrow, Cruise, and Cage buttons are my 3, but I wish I could have another.

3) The printed button diagrams on the control panel itself can't be changed. Radio rebroadcast is something I have never used in a decade. So I programmed that button to be a rear light pursuit kill, which is great, except it still says Radio rebroadcast.

4) Lastly, and this is about the nForce light bars, the simultaneous flash patterns are fairly limited. The patterns themselves are not, but to get simultaneous flashing there's only a couple. Basically I wanted to program my rear bar to do the CHP rear pattern (Amber slow alternating with red and blue). There's only 1 pattern that makes this possible, and I'm not particularly impressed with it.

This is all great information and is exactly what I was looking for when I came to this forum. I really appreciate all the insight.

I’m planning on getting started with mine on my next set of days off so that I have plenty of time to have it all ready to go for my next shift. I’ve been interested in reprogramming the bar since November, but between getting the go ahead to do it and trying to read up as much as possible on everything before attempting it, I’m just now at the point where I feel like I’m ready to tackle it.

John, if you’re online often I’m sure I’ll have some more questions for you in the next couple days when I get into it (if you don’t mind). Again, I really appreciate everyone’s help.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
So here is the BluePRINT control head, I believe the other ones look similar but say energy or something like that.

I will be on, and I'll be happy to help. I taught myself how to use the BluePRINT and Lightbar software, and it took a while. Just so you know, it's pretty much impossible to screw up to the point that flashing your default map won't fix it. You really can't do any permanent or component damage.

That's one of my biggest complaints about this forum, so much info on twin Sonic's and aerodynics and hardly any info or knowledge for products built in this century. I'm glad someone else actually has LED's.

Attachments

• 20190402_180135.jpg
    20190402_180135.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 33

Flyin5-0

Nov 11, 2018
OK
So here is the BluePRINT control head, I believe the other ones look similar but say energy or something like that.

I will be on, and I'll be happy to help. I taught myself how to use the BluePRINT and Lightbar software, and it took a while. Just so you know, it's pretty much impossible to screw up to the point that flashing your default map won't fix it. You really can't do any permanent or component damage.

That's one of my biggest complaints about this forum, so much info on twin Sonic's and aerodynics and hardly any info or knowledge for products built in this century. I'm glad someone else actually has LED's.

Nice. My control head is almost identical but is labeled nErgy instead. I was really surprised how hard it was to find detailed info on these more modern bars and control heads. Even reading the manuals from SoundOff left me with a bunch of silly questions. I figured maybe it was just because my questions were so simple that anyone with any kind of experience would just know already.

Thanks for the heads up on this being virtually impossible to break. That has been my biggest worry... Somehow inadvertently resetting something or doing something that would require applying power to wires, etc. to reverse or correct. Hence the reason for all the questions. I also sent an email off to SoundOff and they replied with a ton of great instructions so we should be good to go.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
Gotcha, so ya your car isn't BluePRINT capable. So it's got the same lightbar, just without the additional vehicle integration. So lightbar changes can be made via the Lightbar software, but any other changes would involve wiring.

So, for the bar, it's important you begin by downloading from the breakout box, and saving, the current configuration/map. Although the bar software is relatively simple and easy, you still don't want to be rebuilding a map from scratch when you mess something up and can't figure out what.

So in the photos below, once you plug it in, the "down" arrow I highlighted will be active. That'll download the current map. Prior to download it'll ask you if you want to save the current map, click no as that'll be a bare skeleton map. Once the map downloads the screen will change a bit, looking like my second picture. Now, before you proceed, click the disk button, save as, and save it as Default or something like that. That's important.

Now you're free to play around, just ask if you have any questions. Sadly there's no way to get a preview what changes you made and what they will do, you have to flash/upload the config/map, then test it by starting the car and pushing buttons.

The first tab, Lightbar Modules, is basically the "building" of the bar, so the program knows how your bar is setup via colors and such. You won't mess with much on this tab. You can see mine is an 8 head, dual color, RW/BW/RA/BA. The letters below each module are coded at the top, so you can see only the inner 4 front modules do "Steady On," which I use for Code 1.

The second tab, flash patterns, is where you'll do a lot of your playing. I'm familiar with this tab, so ask away.

The third tab, Breakout Box Inputs, isn't utilized on my car since I have BluePRINT. It is probably used on your car, but I didn't learn it, so I won't be of much help.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
Photos

Attachments

• 20190402_190510.jpg
    20190402_190510.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 20190402_190535.jpg
    20190402_190535.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 20190402_190604.jpg
    20190402_190604.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 20190402_190838.jpg
    20190402_190838.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: Flyin5-0

Flyin5-0

Nov 11, 2018
OK
Gotcha, so ya your car isn't BluePRINT capable. So it's got the same lightbar, just without the additional vehicle integration. So lightbar changes can be made via the Lightbar software, but any other changes would involve wiring.

So, for the bar, it's important you begin by downloading from the breakout box, and saving, the current configuration/map. Although the bar software is relatively simple and easy, you still don't want to be rebuilding a map from scratch when you mess something up and can't figure out what.

So in the photos below, once you plug it in, the "down" arrow I highlighted will be active. That'll download the current map. Prior to download it'll ask you if you want to save the current map, click no as that'll be a bare skeleton map. Once the map downloads the screen will change a bit, looking like my second picture. Now, before you proceed, click the disk button, save as, and save it as Default or something like that. That's important.

Now you're free to play around, just ask if you have any questions. Sadly there's no way to get a preview what changes you made and what they will do, you have to flash/upload the config/map, then test it by starting the car and pushing buttons.

The first tab, Lightbar Modules, is basically the "building" of the bar, so the program knows how your bar is setup via colors and such. You won't mess with much on this tab. You can see mine is an 8 head, dual color, RW/BW/RA/BA. The letters below each module are coded at the top, so you can see only the inner 4 front modules do "Steady On," which I use for Code 1.

The second tab, flash patterns, is where you'll do a lot of your playing. I'm familiar with this tab, so ask away.

The third tab, Breakout Box Inputs, isn't utilized on my car since I have BluePRINT. It is probably used on your car, but I didn't learn it, so I won't be of much help.

John, your help was spot on! I’ve got it all configured just the way I wanted. Quick and easy. Thanks again!

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
Awesome glad I was able to help!

What do your patterns look like now? Is it a dual color bar or single?

My rear pattern is a CHP pattern, which requires setting the rears to roadrunner simultaneous, then the outside 4 modules to red and blue on color 1, no color 2, and the inside 4 amber on color 2, no color 1. It works alright, but not as good as I'd like. There's a pause where no lights are on that looks weird.

Stage 1 in the front just steady burns the inside 4 red/blue modules. Stage 2 uses slow runner, colors red and blue only. State 3 is the "Impact" pattern.

Flyin5-0

Nov 11, 2018
OK
Awesome glad I was able to help!

What do your patterns look like now? Is it a dual color bar or single?

My rear pattern is a CHP pattern, which requires setting the rears to roadrunner simultaneous, then the outside 4 modules to red and blue on color 1, no color 2, and the inside 4 amber on color 2, no color 1. It works alright, but not as good as I'd like. There's a pause where no lights are on that looks weird.

Stage 1 in the front just steady burns the inside 4 red/blue modules. Stage 2 uses slow runner, colors red and blue only. State 3 is the "Impact" pattern.

Right now I’ve got the inter cycle pattern for stage 1 and 2. Stage 1 rear only, stage 2 front and rear. Red on the driver side, blue on the passenger side. Stage 3 is Warp123 with a bunch of white light mixed in.

hwpd

Apr 8, 2019
FL
So,

My vehicle has MPower light heads. Right now they flash red/off/red/off and blue/off/blue/off. How can I make them flash red/blue from the same light head? Only certain lightheads are programmed to do this function, but I don't see it in Lightbar configuration tool. The only thing that shows up is the lightbar.

hwpd

Apr 8, 2019
FL
Also, with the breakout box, the light patterns have four phases. Why are there 4 phases for a 3 position slide switch?

It seems like the vehicle has BLUEprint, because the third page of breakout box inputs does not download or auto populate. How would I adjust which lightbar lights to come on during a braking situation?

Flyin5-0

Nov 11, 2018
OK
Also, with the breakout box, the light patterns have four phases. Why are there 4 phases for a 3 position slide switch?

It seems like the vehicle has BLUEprint, because the third page of breakout box inputs does not download or auto populate. How would I adjust which lightbar lights to come on during a braking situation?

The short answer is: It all depends how the vehicle is wired. For mine, the “Phase 1” siren is what the vehicle defaults to when it is shifted into park. Phase 2 is when you get into actual switch position.

If the vehicle has BluePrint it will say so on the control head. Mine does not so I am no help with BluePrint.

Choosing braking lights is done on the breakout box input page of the software if you do not have a BluePrint car. You’ll have to click each “wire” setting and see what populates on the page as being active or not. Once you find the proper wire you can click around on that page to edit settings.

Lastly, on the first page of the software you can program the “duties” of each light module (takedown, scene, arrow, brake, etc). If you do not have a specific module programmed with the duty you want it to perform, it will not work.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
Like he said, first we need to know if the car is BluePRINT controlled. See my pics above, does the main control panel say bluePRINT or nERGY?

So,

My vehicle has MPower light heads. Right now they flash red/off/red/off and blue/off/blue/off. How can I make them flash red/blue from the same light head? Only certain lightheads are programmed to do this function, but I don't see it in Lightbar configuration tool. The only thing that shows up is the lightbar.

This is easy to do either way, but I don't want to type double. We need to know if it's bluePRINT controlled first.

hwpd

Apr 8, 2019
FL
Thanks guys. The control box says Blueprint, so I am pretty sure vehicle is BluePrint controlled. How would I change MPower lightheads and brake lights if it is blueprint controlled?

Also, if I use the lighrbar software to change light functions, such as colors, add side cruise lights, and then override the pattern by uploading new settings, would it erase Blueprint settings by having the blank duties page uploaded to the lightbar?

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
So yes the lights are all bluePRINT controlled. Which is bad for you. Aside from the main nForce lightbar, you can't adjust anything else without the bluePRINT software. So the mPowers can't be changed without it.

If you get ahold of the software I can guide you through it easily, or you can take the car back to your upfitter and have them do it (I almost doubt they're capable if they didn't enable the brake override). But they might give you the software.

The lightbar software can still be used, but it's functions are limited, and it will only adjust the main bar.

Follow the instructions above, and again to reiterate, save the initial download map as a Default. The 3rd tab should be blank and won't do anything, as the car doesn't utilize that.

The first and second tab will be where you can play, and have open reign. But that's it unfortunately. You can change colors, flash patterns, arrow settings, etc all with that (Again only for the main bar). Making changes via this program will not override the bluePRINT settings, they work in conjunction. Lightbar controls the main bar, bluePRINT controls everything else, and when the main bar turns on.

So, for the brake override, the enable option for that is in bluePRINT. However in post #21 here, the last picture, notice all of my rear lights (Bottom row) have the S enabled. This is STT, which is for the brake override. Try adding the S to all of the rears like mine and see if that does it.

For side cruise, this could be a bit more difficult. Does your car already have a push button on the controller that is used for cruise or steady burn? I'm going to assume not, in which case your options are limited to basically changing one of the program flash patterns to cruise. Your car is probably setup where each slide switch position (1, 2, and 3) activates the main bar, and lightbar controller on the second tab controls which lights come on, and how they flash. I didn't take a picture of the second tab, flash patterns, so I'll go off memory. On the flash pattern tab, on the left side there are 4 drop down boxes, each is a program basically. So click each one, then below these it shows you what happens to the bar with each program. Figure out by testing which ones are used, and when they're used. If you want to change one of these programs to be side cruise, that'll be easy, but that's the only way you can do it if your car doesn't have a cruise button. bluePRINT controls which program turns on, and when it turns on. My car is weird, but my slide switch 1, 2, and 3 each turn on that respective program. Then I have a button on the bluePRINT controller which I programmed to turn on the 4th program, which I use for a DOT flash. You're 4th program may not even be used, that's something you'll have to figure out by trial and error.

I'll take pictures this evening and be more detailed about it. You can't add side cruise, you can only modify an existing pattern to do side cruise instead of what it does.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
Fuck this site. Delete half my comments? Fine, people can help themselves. Literally the only person here willing to share any knowledge on how to use the SOS software, and you're going to delete my posts? Go fuck yourselves.

• Haha
Reactions: tsquale

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
Fuck this site. Delete half my comments? Fine, people can help themselves. Literally the only person here willing to share any knowledge on how to use the SOS software, and you're going to delete my posts? Go fuck yourselves.
Me thinks you don't know what you're talking about. None of your posts have been deleted. However, don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out...

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I'm just here to watch the fall out...
It's like the good ol' days.... I can hear the bell for "the Ring" in the distance. Love that the clown has been on several times since and is just lurking. Guess the site isn't so bad that he wants to stay away.... just enough to act like a three your old throwing a tantrum.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
The fact is that you shouldn't start pointing fingers at people when you have no idea what you're talking about. The moderation that takes place on this site falls into two categories.... organization and compliance. We do our best to keep things organized and we have to make sure our content is compliant with Google's guidelines or they'll pull our advertisements and the site will not be able to support itself financially. Other than that, you are entitled to your opinions and provided that you aren't conducting illegal business, we're not deleting full or partial posts for no reason.

hwpd

Apr 8, 2019
FL
Ive been a long time lurker here but recently joined because the new car has BluePrint Soundoff lightbar system. I didnt even know Soundoff was a mainstream lightbar, but ive been impressed with it.

Due to it being new, there is not much information available. This forum is one of the few, if not only places to get advice on the new system without going to BluePrint class.

I see there is drama on this forum and it looks like John Smith's posts are being deleted, which is a shame, because the whole point of this is to make everyone better at this new technology and not just talk about fed signal vectors.

I appreciate his responses and anyone that can offer their 2 cents in, because I sure can't.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.