SoundOff UltraLite vs Whelen Dual Avenger?

jantman

Jun 2, 2010
NJ, USA
I'm looking to put a dash light in my new commuter car (a 2001 toyota camry...). I've been a big fan of the Whelen Dual Avenger since it came out, but now I've heard a number of people recommend the SoundOff UltraLite (4 module). Any thoughts on how they compare? I'm interested mainly in overall brightness (especially in daylight, at the way top of a windshield) and off-axis visibility. Any thoughts are appreciated. If anyone happens to have an UltraLite with visor/flashback shield that they could measure that could be helpful too...

Thanks to anyone who replies.

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
Sigh... A linear light vs a TIR light.

zack A

May 24, 2010
NC
I've seen both. Just like Burt implied it's hard to compare a LED light with two different technologies. It all comes down to 1) what your using it for and 2) personal preference. If you don't have to many intersections I would go with the sound off otherwise the avenger is the way to go.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
Ultra-Lite. What measurements would you like for me to get for you.? Also if your going to use suction cups the sound off is more user friendly in adjusting to your windshield fit.

Medicman695

May 27, 2011
USA, MN
I have a dual avenger at the top of my windshield and it does very well with the off axis. So I'd say go with the avenger.

jantman

Jun 2, 2010
NJ, USA
Thanks for all the opinions. It honestly didn't occur to me that the UltraLite was TIR... I haven't used (or suggested to anyone) a TIR for anything but behind tint or behind a grille since the linears hit the market. I guess I'm leaning towards the avenger, but dimensions may affect this.

I was planning on doing a custom bracket tied to the visor bolts, putting the light centered *above* the rearview mirror. I barely made this fit with an Avenger in my old 2008 F350, I'm a bit apprehensive about the camry.

Dimensions... I'm trying to figure out how to describe this easily. What I'm really interested in is the overall height at the thickest point (probably the middle of the housing), and then the top and bottom depth, including the shield - from the back edge of the housing to the front edge of the shield, both at the top and the bottom.

Something like the three red lines:

ablog.jasonantman.com_GFX_ultraLite.jpg

Also, does the UltraLite have places for mounting screws on the top (like the Avenger), or just the back/sides?

If anyone could do the same for the Avenger, it would be helpful also, as I sold my old one and nobody near me has one that isn't hardwired.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
Avenger, no question. Anyone that votes UltraLite is only trying to sell you one.

I own a 12-head UltraLite arrow bar with dual warning tips. Great bar, ridiculous number of modes and patterns, I love it. But at the end of the day it is a TIR style device and best left for directional lighting.

It is worthwhile to note that some linear optic lights are now outperforming TIR. The Whelen LINZ6 vs the TIR3 is a good example.

jantman

Jun 2, 2010
NJ, USA
Ok, I actually got a chance to look at both lights, hold them up in their future mounting position, see how they punch through the bit of tint at the top of the windshield, etc.

I'm totally sold on the Avenger. The ones I saw were blue, but it amazed me how much less bright the UltraLight is compared to my old dual avenger, or the avenger I took a look at. Unfortunately, the UltraLite fits *perfectly* over the rearview mirror, and the Avenger definitely won't - maybe it would if I notched out the flashback shield, but I think I'm going to have to go with a visor mount.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
your saying the avenger is brighter through tint? I just dont see it, I have made multiple installs with both units and behind the tint the Ultra-Lite is hands down. When not behind tint its a VERY close race, off axis the avenger/talon wins hands down.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CHUCK4850

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.