Source for Ford/Whelen Cencom software?

canonninja

Aug 27, 2013
Houston, Tx
Picking my PI Utility tomorrow, and looks like the CD and dongles never made it to the dealership :hopeless:

They want to charge $100 for the CD and $40 for the dongles. I'll play nice with the wiring, but $100 for the CD? I mean, I could swallow $30 for the thing, but $100 sounds like robbery. Does anyone have a better source for this software? :cry:

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
canonninja said:
Picking my PI Utility tomorrow, and looks like the CD and dongles never made it to the dealership :hopeless:

They want to charge $100 for the CD and $40 for the dongles. I'll play nice with the wiring, but $100 for the CD? I mean, I could swallow $30 for the thing, but $100 sounds like robbery. Does anyone have a better source for this software? :cry:

It should be available on whelens website.

canonninja

Aug 27, 2013
Houston, Tx
Ive seen few threads over the last year in regards to the Ford stuff needing Ford-supplied software, but nothing really recently. I guess there's only one way to find out tomorrow when I pick up the truck.

canonninja

Aug 27, 2013
Houston, Tx
Welp, tried with the current software off Whelen's website, 3.8.something, and got a "Connection Failed" error trying to download the file off the box. Looks like the $100 DVD is in my future :cry:

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
So I just jumped onto Whelen's website... Is your Cencom a Cencom Gold or Sapphire? The only Cencom software I found was stated for the Sapphire and I truthfully don't know if they are interchangeable between the Gold and Sapphire... I have the Cencom Gold software version 5.0.5.1... I don't know if that's the latest...

Might also try calling Whelen directly and getting advise from them.

PM me if I can help.

Thanks,

Seth

canonninja

Aug 27, 2013
Houston, Tx
C17LVFD said:
So I just jumped onto Whelen's website... Is your Cencom a Cencom Gold or Sapphire? The only Cencom software I found was stated for the Sapphire and I truthfully don't know if they are interchangeable between the Gold and Sapphire... I have the Cencom Gold software version 5.0.5.1... I don't know if that's the latest...

Might also try calling Whelen directly and getting advise from them.

PM me if I can help.

Thanks,

Seth

It's a Sapphire, 3 position with TA control, and a FoMoCo sticker on the stupid thing :suicide:

Still cant get my laptop to talk to it, turn the truck to "ON," siren gets power, plug USB into the laptop, windows does its thing, click Extract on the Whelen downloaded software, "Connection Failed"

Am I missing something or are the Ford Cencom Sapphires really SOL on free software?

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Hmmm... I don't know... Sounds to me like you're doing everything right... Truthfully, I'd give Whelen a call on Monday before you drop a hundred bones on a CD... or better yet make the department buy it as I'm sure it'll be needed again.

Good Luck!

Seth

canonninja

Aug 27, 2013
Houston, Tx
Ended up on the phone with Whelen and Ford Fleet yesterday, Whelen being much more helpful than I thought and seems that new Ford Cencoms will not require the older software from Ford. And, fingers crossed, a gentleman by the name of Doug from Ford is going to get me a CD in the mail at the end of this week. Everyone I spoke with said pretty much that the dealership I bought the truck from should have either included it or eaten the cost of it for me, so here's hoping.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
canonninja said:
Ended up on the phone with Whelen and Ford Fleet yesterday, Whelen being much more helpful than I thought and seems that new Ford Cencoms will not require the older software from Ford. And, fingers crossed, a gentleman by the name of Doug from Ford is going to get me a CD in the mail at the end of this week. Everyone I spoke with said pretty much that the dealership I bought the truck from should have either included it or eaten the cost of it for me, so here's hoping.

Thats hhow they stay in business..... lol good luck

canonninja

Aug 27, 2013
Houston, Tx
Forgot to add earlier... as confirmed by Whelen, Any Ford Cencom Sapphire with the Ford part number on the sticker ending with "AB" will require the Ford software to program the brain with. Ford has in the last 6-8 months been supplied at their request with updated Cencoms that be able to use the free software from Whelen directly.

canonninja

Aug 27, 2013
Houston, Tx
Success! On a work trip in east Texas, and swung by the Ford fleet dealership/workshop out in Nederland, and the shop manager gave me a copy of his Ford CD. Even on this 12 year old Dell Latitude laptop, the software worked like a charm, and finally talked to the Cencom. Ford had some wonky programming in this thing but it really doesnt appear to be neutered over the regular Sapphire, even has all the same selectable siren tones.

Reactions: Rafael502

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.