Southern VP 1166 timeline

Got a NOS green SVP 1166 with box, manual, warranty sheet, shield and mounting plate.
Bottom says "Made in Hong Kong" and a sticker with "2880".

NOS green (1).jpg NOS green (6).jpg

Does anyone know the timeline of the model 1166 from Southern VP?
I have some with 3 magnets and some with round magnet, all marked with "Made in USA".
Other are marked with "Made in Hong Kong".
And two different company addresses: Clearwater 33520, FL and Pinellas Park 34664, FL.

And there are the last version of STAR 1889 with other rotator and more plastic parts.

What was the first production year of the 1166?

Reactions: Fireball
Nice light. I believe SVP got the SAE cert for the 1166 is the late 1970's, maybe 78? The series were made outside the US for several brands during the main production years.

Okay, thanks.
So I guess the production started in the USA and was later moved to Hong Kong (maybe in the middle of 1980s).
I found a priceliste of 1995 with mailing address in Pinellas Park and shipping address in Clearwater, FL.
Good to know, but no reason for two different labels.
IMG_6295.jpeg

Hence my interpretation: first production took place in Pinellas Park and later the final production and packaging of the in Hong Kong made products was carried out in Clearwater.

So I did some quick checking on the lights I have. Keep in mind that no matter who's name is on it, the lights are identical in dimensions. Most of mine have the 3 small rectangular magnets. One has a single large round magnet and one has both, 3 rectangular and 1 round.

The Signal Stat I have is from 79 and was built overseas.

The SHO-ME lights I have, one was built overseas and dated 1980(NOS).

The second was built in 1990 and marked made in USA, with the Clearwater FLA address. That one has a single large round magnet on the bottom. It also has a black worm gear on the motor and a black gear on the reflector, where the others have white. I don't have an explanation for the difference, but the reflector rattles or isn't as secure as the others. I don't know why, it functions perfectly and never locks up or skips.

The SVP has has the Clearwater address,
has both 3 small rectangular magnets and a larger round magnet. The inset of the round magnet has made in Hong Kong, but not date of manufacturing.

The KD Lamp lights just have the name on the light base. One of mine has a very small China printed on the retaining band label. KD never put QC or date labels on their version thst i know of, like the other brands.

I hope this helps sort out the timeline for you a bit.

Chris

Last edited:
Okay, thanks.
So I guess the production started in the USA and was later moved to Hong Kong (maybe in the middle of 1980s).
I found a priceliste of 1995 with mailing address in Pinellas Park and shipping address in Clearwater, FL.
Good to know, but no reason for two different labels.
View attachment 252415

Hence my interpretation: first production took place in Pinellas Park and later the final production and packaging of the in Hong Kong made products was carried out in Clearwater.
I can't say when production may have moved to Hong Kong, but as an SVP distributor back in the 80s, everything was shipped from Clearwater, FL. Checking an old distributor price list from the mid-80's, they show both addresses. Seems their mail was received at the post office in Pinellas Park, while their warehouse was less than 4 miles down the street in nearby Clearwater - both in the Tampa area.

Attachments

• SVP.JPG
    SVP.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 3

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShulemSaal