• WHelen M6 B/W

• Feniex 6x4 Widelux B/w

• Feniex Cobra T6 4 pack Blue

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Starting a build on my new rig. Roof bar will be a Feniex 49inch, and rear lighting will be some cannons and T3s, I'm stumped on what to do in the grille.....I have at my disposal the following...
2-Whelen M6 in B/W
2-Feniex 6x4 in B/W
4-Feniex Cobra T6s in blue (can be double stacked).

So what do I do?? Keep in mind this is a 3/4 ton truck, I'm not set on a full Feniex install, those M6s punch out really good....

Some pics of what they might look like mounted up.....
20171201_001316.jpg 20171201_001412.jpg 20171201_001339.jpg 20171201_001333.jpg 20171201_001324.jpg 20171201_001234.jpg

And video of the M6 v Wide lux

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Hands down vote for M-series. While the widelux are nice, I don’t think their punch is as strong as the M-series. If possible, I’d trade/replace with solid blue M-series for larger footprints (I’ve never liked split flash patterns), but if you only want to reuse, then I’d use the B/C M-series synced to flash blue together, then flash clear together. I’d put them on each side of the GMC logo thought, b/c I think they look a little funny sitting at the top of the grill IMO (although I understand that you’re trying to get them to shoot out at the right height level)

I’d save the T6s for future additions (ie running boards, side windows, rear window, toolbox, etc)

Reactions: Krsdog25

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
The M's are definitely the winner. I might just sell the widelux and the T6s. I also have 4 fusions in B/W but those are going on the running boards.

Back to the front...I'm not running a dash light like I did in my last truck so these will likely end up higher in the grill. Now I hafta figure out the best sync...in/out vs left/right.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
The M's are definitely the winner. I might just sell the widelux and the T6s. I also have 4 fusions in B/W but those are going on the running boards.

Back to the front...I'm not running a dash light like I did in my last truck so these will likely end up higher in the grill. Now I hafta figure out the best sync...in/out vs left/right.

How about both m-series synced in/out (all blue inside alternating with all clear outside)?

How come no dash?? :-(

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I've been tinkering with that. Your suggestion is exactly what I came up with that looked the best. That white to the outside gets attention at intersections better.

As for the dash, there is a sensor right in the center that according to the manual, says if covered or blocked it may interfere with temperature and occupancy sensors. o_O. Didn't realize the new trucks were that smart. No matter, when I'm done it won't need it anyway (insert diabolical laughter).

Reactions: Bvfa23

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Ok the grille is figured out. A new thought has popped into my head. Mileage....my old roof bar (Freedom) cost me 3mpg. My plan was to do a Fusion 49, but again, mpgs. So now im thinking an ilb or 2 2x's along the windshield top. Thinking about the dash light in my previous truck, it was very effective. What if I did something like mounting a 200 or what not to the hood?
2017-12-21 18.48.48.jpg

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I keep thinking a Fusion bar would be 1 or less. Lopro, lightweight and much stealther than the old freedom. All I have for now is my old cobra T6 dash light.

2017-12-22 21.12.31.png 2017-12-22 21.13.03.png

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
That flood light on the dash level looks awful! I’m sure it bounces off the hood and is terrible for the driver

I don’t like the idea of an exterior 200. I think you should mount a dual linear dash light directly under the RVM (thus clear of the dash sensor). A fusion 180 dual or (ideally) an avenger II dual would look nice there. However, if you wanted to go the exterior route for mid level lighting, I’d go with a dual ghost clipped on the hood.

I think the fusion exterior is a good option. Blue/clear to front and sides (for flood/scene) and blue/amber to the rear. Due to the low profile frames of newer bars like the fusion and legacy lightbars, I think mileage will be negligible here. You won’t be able to get a solid 360 package (with those extra functions) by doing a slick top package.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
As I get older, a slick top sounds more enticing. I had thought of 2 fusion 2x at the windshield top and a stick in the back window vs a roof bar. I just looked and the door seals and jams on this truck aren't cable friendly like my 07. So that would mean drilling for cables (ugh) or running them down the rear window or outside the C pillar, which looks tacky to me......

Reactions: Krsdog25

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I just pulled the trigger on something that y'all may or may not like....install to follow in the coming weeks.

kitsune86

Jul 12, 2013
Texas
Is it two mag-mount minibars that you put up at the same time to make it look like a full bar? :)

(I saw it on a small town track first response truck, two whelen responders with a wire running through each sides window)

I just pulled the trigger on something that y'all may or may not like....install to follow in the coming weeks.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
No, but I am definitly going stealthy. No roof bar. It's almost like a van or tall suv. Mount a bar center roof and it's hard to see out back. Move it back to the rear a bit and it's useless from the front.

I do, however, have another project in store for a temporary roof mini bar. It involves self contained power and wireless operation. I'll be using it on our track this fall for the Arca springfield mile.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Ok, so I've been tinkering with the left over heads from my last truck, I had the following sitting on the bench.....
4 Fusion B/W
4 Cobra dumb W
6 Cobra smart B
So I built this for the rear window....

I'm happy with the pattern on the outer heads.....but not sure about the middle. I tried split top/bottom but it looked like crap so I synced 'em and set it to seizure, that way it doesn't sync with the outers....any thoughts? Or should I just delete them?

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
So I've made actual progress on this...decided to go mostly stealth this time around. It's been slow going due to cold weather and work....here's what I've gotten done so far...

Grille and front window....Whelen M6's in B/W...and I couldn't resist a sale Strobesnmore was having at xmas so I added a Tru-dual EFLOOD 4200 B/B as well. Still waiting on a delivery for the front window, so just the Feniex 1x B/W still hanging out behind the mirror.
20180122_124640.jpg

Sides...Strobesnmore rockers in blue with the white "alley". (Couldn't resist the sale). The video Louis posted up doesn't do them justice. They are much brighter than it looks. Are they as bright as the 900+ dollar set of Feniex rockers? No, but very much worth what I paid.
20180122_124630.jpg

Rear...My homemade "Fu-bar". A mishmash of blue Feniex Cobra T6 and B/W Fusion T6 heads I had left over from my previous truck. I really like the dual stacked footprint so I stacked the blues and added in 4 white dummy heads and made sort of a "Titan 800" out of them.
20180105_160138.jpg

Switching, etc....since the EFLOOD requires it's own flasher I picked up a Feniex flasher (great lil deal, wish it had the same patterns as the T6 or T3). In the process of using it to sync the front. And finally dual Feniex 4200 mini's for switching the warning and the whites (plus room left for more...hee hee hee). More vids and pics of the finished product to come.

20180129_114914.jpg

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Progress!! Everything installed, short of the Fusion 2X for the windshield I'm still waiting on. Still playing with the flash patterns for the sides and grille (thoughts anyone?)......I took some daytime and inside the dark garage footage to show how bright those rockers really are. Going to do a review on ELB for those with flash patterns (I've done a review of the SNM 4200 already).

rcfd34

Oct 24, 2011
Illinois
I would say either slow down the m6 or change pattern all together seems to fast and just odd with the other flash patterns in the front

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Updates coming....2 words "stake pockets".

FiremanSketch

Dec 17, 2014
Lake Arrowhead
>concerned about gas mileage
>drives a 2500
:p

I like the M6's in the grille. I'm a fan of big footprint lights. I also dig the light separation of your homemade setup in the back. I do think the dash light gets lost up there given that it's so small. But alas, we await your latest update...

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I like the M6's in the grille. I'm a fan of big footprint lights. I also dig the light separation of your homemade setup in the back. I do think the dash light gets lost up there given that it's so small. But alas, we await your latest update...

Thanks. I'm still working on the dash but the grille makes up for it for now. Since the weather broke and we've been busier I almost revamped and did a full roof bar, but alas the new house has a 7ft garage door :(, no go. Still working on funds for another 2x or maybe a full ilb this fall.
Back to work....

FiremanSketch

Dec 17, 2014
Lake Arrowhead
Thanks. I'm still working on the dash but the grille makes up for it for now. Since the weather broke and we've been busier I almost revamped and did a full roof bar, but alas the new house has a 7ft garage door :(, no go. Still working on funds for another 2x or maybe a full ilb this fall.
Back to work....
The internal debate of lightbar vs slicktop is a long arduous one that I'm still having with myself. I think I just need to hand the truck off with all the lights inside and let someone else decide!

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Alright, need some opinions......just mounted up my steak bed lights, not wired yet.......take a gander...
20180814_142822.jpgsame thing on the other side. I have 4 more heads, do I mount them horizontal or vertical or just leave it? Keep in mind these are split B/W (yeah yeah I know) and the whites are used as scene lights.

Reactions: tsquale

FiremanSketch

Dec 17, 2014
Lake Arrowhead
Alright, need some opinions......just mounted up my steak bed lights, not wired yet.......take a gander...
View attachment 214314same thing on the other side. I have 4 more heads, do I mount them horizontal or vertical or just leave it? Keep in mind these are split B/W (yeah yeah I know) and the whites are used as scene lights.
Ooooh, well that's a new take! I like it for the simple fact that I haven't seen anyone else do it, and I like being different. Those Feniex or Whelen SurfaceMax?

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Ooooh, well that's a new take! I like it for the simple fact that I haven't seen anyone else do it, and I like being different. Those Feniex or Whelen SurfaceMax?
Feniex widelux...I have 8 of them...soooo tempting.
steak beds? cows have a place to lay down?
Yes.....usually when I'm bringing them home from the grocery store, lol.

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
That will be MORE than enough warning out of a Wideluxe...

Looks good as is.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
So I managed to test the drivers side by using an old PC power supply. I can say that 2 on each side is more than enough. Hoping to get them all wired today. Video forthcoming.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I can't wait to see the video of this. how often will you remove the sides? Have them on a quick disconnect or anything?

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Things winding down now that I'm settled in the new house. Got the sides wired in. I tried a couple different patterns and settled on attack 2 (at least that's what I call it) for now. The lack of sync is kinda driving me nuts, but its keeping traffic at bay on calls.....

@FEVER...I don't plan on removing the sides unless necessary. Runnin' it through the car wash, wide load, etc. I used the 4 pin flat automotive waterproof connectors. The ones that kind of mimic a 4 pin flat trailer plug.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Was given a "bet you wont do that" challenge by a fellow dept. member, he dared me to mount up a Feniex beacon that I've been dinking around with. Challenge accepted...slapped it on the roof after picking up 3 Harbor Freight 25lb magnets.

feniex beacon.JPG
While doing a 360 I discovered my SNM 4200 was only half working.....Pulled it and one end is totally dead, blue and white. Bench tested and nothing, quick e-chat and phone call to the SNM folks and its going back (still under warranty). Details to come, once that's said and done.

So in the mean time, I moved the M6's down a bit to get them away from the head lights, moved the window light down a few inches and left the beacon. Yeah, it looks kinda goofy, but it grows on you. More testing and likely video tomorrow.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Version 2.5 for the time being. Road tested the beacon and it sticks like glue. It does bring the truck height to just over 7ft so I have to remember to pull it before pulling it into my garage.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Is there a purpose for the beacon? Because it's worthless for warning.
Not really. Just tinkering. I agree that it leaves a bit to be desired, especially compared to the dash light.
Needs some Martin Horns now!
Right? The blue is definitely a bit more cobalt-ey on the beacon, giving it a euro look. I had a knock off Grover on my old truck, alas no room for it under hood on this one.

Reactions: FiremanSketch

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.