Speaker cone support

wfdstation42

May 23, 2010
USA/FL
FDNY used to have an issue with the cones being stolen so they had a triangular piece of steel fabricated to prevent that as seen in the picture below. I wonder if this was done for the same reason.

Credit to the original photographer

afarm4.staticflickr.com_3052_3100861869_df09c51be4.jpg

FDNY Engine 65 c.1983 by JL1967, on Flickr

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Definitely looks homemade (or shop/dept. made, if you will) since the bars aren't level. I would think if it was something Federal offered, they would have some sort of machine or jig that lined everything up perfect.

Neat though!

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Night Patrolman said:
A very intriguing photo. I wonder...

1. Since when did FDNY ever have yellow/lime green rigs (white? Maybe a bit hard to tell considering the age of the photo), and...

2. Since when did FDNY ever use ALF rigs in the 70's & 80's?

1. The FDNY painted about 11 apparatus lime green in the early 70's thanks to the new "studies" that indicated lime green as a better color. It wasn't.

2. The FDNY used a few ALF rigs throughout the department at different times. They also had one up until 9/11 but haven't gotten any more since. Among other apparatus manufacturers, they've also had Sutphen tower ladders in the past as well.

nlaser11

May 23, 2010
Ridgway IL, 62979
maybe the cone broke off of the threads, and that was how they fixed it. Try taking it off. I went to unscrew one once and the the 3 little legs that mount to the female threads broke.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.