speed tech lights?

Jan 10, 2011
New Jersey
anybody know anything about this company and the quality of the products they make im considering new lights and always liked and gone with whelen and wondered how they compared.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
STAY AWAY! They suck, the led's burn out fast, and the lights aren't bright at all! Its a waste of money! You can spend less money and get better products here on the forum! Like Microman lights or Pimp Pods or even used name brand equipment!

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
blulightandabat said:
anybody know anything about this company and the quality of the products they make im considering new lights and always liked and gone with whelen and wondered how they compared.

Use the Search function on this forum. You will see for yourself. Enough said.

Jan 10, 2011
New Jersey
Fast LT1 said:
STAY AWAY! They suck, the led's burn out fast, and the lights aren't bright at all! Its a waste of money! You can spend less money and get better products here on the forum! Like Microman lights or Pimp Pods or even used name brand equipment!

thanks for the tip tho ;)

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
We need to post a front page disclaimer. speed tech is horrible. They don't even deserve the proper grammar of their brand name. ;)

You need green LEDs? go to microman for a long bar. Go to Pimp for a good variety. (grille, dash, HAWs)...

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
HORRIBLE! waste of money. i'm surprised they even give as much as a 7-day guarantee (if they last that long)

john, can we post a sticky for speedtech (or possibly each company), so that ppl we'll see fewer threads being started asking "have u guys heard of them?"

dpfirerescue

Oct 19, 2010
USA, CO - Denver
In my opinion, for some volunteers Speedtech lights are "ok" for their seldom use but for those who demand a lot from their products, keep looking on the forum! I agree with the previous post, I have spent less and got more just around elightbars!

Jan 14, 2011
Brisbane Australia
Being as impartial as possible it is critical that any emergency light, whether seldom or high use, comes on every time and illuminates clean and bright to warn anyone approaching.

This protects you the user and the person, or persons, you are treating/recovering/transporting etc.

A good test condition is full sun on a clear day. A good product will be sharp and visible up to, and preferably beyond, 1/3 mile or 500m.

However as is mentioned in many places throughout this site you really do 'get what you pay for'.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
blulightandabat said:
well ive been trying to get my hands on some green leds and i find them very hard to find
+1 for Pimp Pods. Fast and personal service from Burt. And he has a special page just for green.

Lookn2cuff

Jan 1, 2011
Brazos Valley Texas
Well I agree that some of their lights are not that good. I was NOT impressed with their HAW's at all. Can't see them unless you are driving at night without headlights on. The dashlights are pretty bright and work well. The lightbar is bright, but they didn't have steady takedowns or ally lights. They only flashed. My small department was givin a very tight budget to outfit the new patrol truck, so we found them. Belive me, working accidents on I-10 where it's 3 lane and speeds reach over 80 often (speeders the limit is 70) the lights can be seen. For cheap lights they work. Not many flash patterns, but it works for a very tight budget.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Lookn2cuff said:
Well I agree that some of their lights are not that good. I was NOT impressed with their HAW's at all. Can't see them unless you are driving at night without headlights on. The dashlights are pretty bright and work well. The lightbar is bright, but they didn't have steady takedowns or ally lights. They only flashed. My small department was givin a very tight budget to outfit the new patrol truck, so we found them. Belive me, working accidents on I-10 where it's 3 lane and speeds reach over 80 often (speeders the limit is 70) the lights can be seen. For cheap lights they work. Not many flash patterns, but it works for a very tight budget.

you have got to be kidding me on I-10, i wouldnt use any vehicle with there lighting to even block an alley much less I-10...

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
I purchased two of their TIR-style lights before I was on this board. LISTEN to what everyone has said & stay away.

Pimp pods or Microman bars will have green and be a thousand times better than STL.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I bought one of the 90 watt power supplys it burned out that same day i got it. Good thing i had a botled water in my truck if not it would of cought the whole truck on fire.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Lookn2cuff said:
My small department was givin a very tight budget to outfit the new patrol truck, so we found them. Belive me, working accidents on I-10 where it's 3 lane and speeds reach over 80 often (speeders the limit is 70) the lights can be seen. For cheap lights they work. Not many flash patterns, but it works for a very tight budget.

Code 3 LP6000. End of story.

mauryfireman

Aug 15, 2010
North Carolina, USA
I bout some grill lights from Speed Tech about 2 or 3 years ago. love them. Good price, bright, and havent quit on me yet. Have alot of run time on them. Ive also had 3 diff. dash lights from them and the only reason I sold them is bc someone offered me a great price. Way more than what I payed for them. Got some Speed Tech Quad Pro from a guy bout a month ago. Havent installed them yet but they are running fine right now. He ran them for bout a year and a half as dash lights and the guy who had them before him ran them as rear lights for about a year. So as far as my experience. they are good produces. But as far as a downside, I have seen their prices go up a bit through the past couple years.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
mauryfireman said:
Ive also had 3 diff. dash lights from them and the only reason I sold them is bc someone offered me a great price. Way more than what I payed for them.

(still cannot figure out how to embed YT videos...)

Last edited by a moderator:

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I actually bought some STL lights about 5 years ago and used them for rear on scene warning (combo dept so we only went to building fires and there were always at least 4 FD and usually a few PD units around, all lit up). While def not as bright as a real light, they weren't bad. I never used them for response, but just to identify my vehicle as being with the FD and to show where it was since I didn't want to leave my tail lights on for a few hours. They never gave out and I still think they would work if I plugged them up. I wouldn't use them as primary warning, but I wanted to show that at least some of their things aren't Nazi spawn.

Boss429

May 21, 2010
Pennsylvania
We should make a sticky on this site about STL. So many new members ask about them...

Just a Thought.

mac7271

Aug 4, 2010
New York
I had one of their STL Quad Pro's. I was bright enough. I had it mounted on the rear deck of my car.It got only minimal use. The switch with the pattern change button broke after a few months. No biggie, I set it on one pattern and left it. After 2 1/2 years the two right side modules went bad, so only half the stick worked. I replaced it with a Whacker Inciter. If your looking for inexpensive, there are better choices out there.

CMS7

May 23, 2010
Hallstead, PA
I bought a set of the G4 Grill Lights... went through two power supplys, and tried to hook up a Whelen ULF44 flasher to them... with in 2 minutes of run time on the whelen they were gone... Save yourself the hassle and buy from a reputable company(Pimp, Microman, ETC).. There are way to many quality products on this site to waste your time with STL...

thejudges69

May 31, 2010
youngstown, ohio
I know this thread is over a year old but are there any feelings changed towards speed tech? They have a light bar I really like and some mini lights my buddy like but we can't afford problems with them. Just curious if there product or customer service has improved

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
thejudges69 said:
I know this thread is over a year old but are there any feelings changed towards speed tech? They have a light bar I really like and some mini lights my buddy like but we can't afford problems with them. Just curious if there product or customer service has improved

Same company, same lights, same issues. Nothing has changed..

Take a look around ELB. There are plenty of better quality lights for much better prices!

Quentin

May 21, 2010
Lancaster, Nebraska
thejudges69 said:
I figured that would be the response but hey a lot can happen in a year. Thanks.

A local shop here was stocking them, so I filled them in about how everyone feels about STL and they agreed. They drop STL and picking up Soundoff Signal

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Can we PLEASE make an OFFICIAL STL thread, so that IF anyone bothers to search for it, they will find it any not post anything new? That and/or we could just merge all new posts/threads for STL to it?

thejudges69

May 31, 2010
youngstown, ohio
Zapp Brannigan said:
Can we PLEASE make an OFFICIAL STL thread, so that IF anyone bothers to search for it, they will find it any not post anything new? That and/or we could just merge all new posts/threads for STL to it?

What's the problem with it. I didn't start a new thread I resurrected an old one for new updated advice. Reread

thejudges69

May 31, 2010
youngstown, ohio

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
thejudges69 said:
Well since I brought the thread back to life then it would be pointed towards me, apparently some members just aren't happy unless the lights are made by whelen everything else is junk.

So why not roll this!

I own, and/or CURRENTLY have installed, lights from almost every major manufacturer, and at least one off-"MAJOR" brand.

Code 3, Whelen, SoundOff Signal, StrobesNMore, 911EP.

Guess I only care about Whelen. :duh:

Next genius argument? :eek: :-x

thejudges69

May 31, 2010
youngstown, ohio
Zapp Brannigan said:
I own, and/or CURRENTLY have installed, lights from almost every major manufacturer, and at least one off-"MAJOR" brand.

Code 3, Whelen, SoundOff Signal, StrobesNMore, 911EP.

Guess I only care about Whelen. :duh:

Next genius argument? :eek: :-x

Some people on this board are truly unbelievable. Keep up the good work Jose.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.