Speed Turtle 3.0 for 2021 Chevy Silverado

leeemstech65

Jun 1, 2012
Lee,MA
Hi there everyone,
I purchased a Speed Turtle 3.0 for my 2021 Chevy Silverado from a facebook group. I took the time to read the instructions and download the STE Configuration software to my laptop and checked off what I wanted to flash for the module.
The issue that I am having is I had disconnected the wiring hardness per the instructions, and re-plugged them into the module exactly what the instructions said to do. Then I want to turn my vehicle key over and the anti-theft device came on plus the truck will not start.
I disconnected the module and re-plugged the vehicle hardness back in and the truck works. I am no sure if this speed turtle 3.0 is going to even work for my truck. Does anyone have any insight on the anti-theft issue???
I would love to use this speed turtle so I do not have to put any headlight flashers, taillight flashers and have to cut the wiring to the truck, however this speed turtle does not seem to be working at all with my truck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Frank

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Here's what it shows from the website and install support, hmmm not available till Monday, I's it truly a 3.0 version?

If that doesn't work out I'd contact them directly.

Just my 3 cents

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220212-081410.jpg
    Screenshot_20220212-081410.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20220212-081339.jpg
    Screenshot_20220212-081339.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20220212-081623.jpg
    Screenshot_20220212-081623.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20220212-081636.jpg
    Screenshot_20220212-081636.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 5

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL

This guy makes custom wiring harnesses for vehicles. You can install one of his plug and play kits and flash your lights without cutting any factory wires.
Yes wow a site that goes round and round and supplies no real info ( pardon the sarcasm ) they just kept wanting me to call them instead of using correct English spelling, and drop down menu, and no particular info on a product.
Lemme guess a startup with a need to work things out before the product hits a website?

Hope you have better info then.

Reactions: codycat91

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Yes wow a site that goes round and round and supplies no real info ( pardon the sarcasm ) they just kept wanting me to call them instead of using correct English spelling, and drop down menu, and no particular info on a product.
Lemme guess a startup with a need to work things out before the product hits a website?

Hope you have better info then.
I’ve never used them. His name is Jeremy Ginn. He is in a few of the FB groups that Im in. Many people in those groups use his harnesses, and have nothing but positive reviews. Maybe it would be easier to contact via FB.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
I’ve never used them. His name is Jeremy Ginn. He is in a few of the FB groups that Im in. Many people in those groups use his harnesses, and have nothing but positive reviews. Maybe it would be easier to contact via FB.
Not sure but I don't use FB so that leaves me out. Hopefully he will be able to contact him.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Here's what it shows from the website and install support, hmmm not available till Monday, I's it truly a 3.0 version?

If that doesn't work out I'd contact them directly.

Just my 3 cents
Maybe I'm just getting old and paranoid, but I don't like messing with factory wiring. In these dark days of "subscription based" seat warmers and remote starters (look it up it is a thing) plugging into the OEM wiring of anything except a police package with approved plugs is something I won't do. My boss bought a remote starter that said it was plug and play with for explorer police interceptor 2020 and up. I get to looking at it and they want me to cut their "plug and play" plugs off the device and solder it inline to the OEM ignition harness; apparently the plug and play only worked on 2020 models. No thanks, that's not "plug and play". I have "unf***ed" several installs for people where problems could all be traced back to headlight flashers or other items tied into OEM stuff. Don't even get me started on how well ambulance builders interface their stuff with the OEM chassis. I have trucks that can't regen because the ambulance module programming puts the vehicle into high-idle when they are in park (with no override), and I have to pull the connections to the ambulance "box" to get the trucks to low idle in park to regen (Cummins). The list goes on. With all the options out there for lights I just leave the factory stuff alone.

It sucks this module you got said it was compatible but seems like it isn't, but I bet with all the different options out there it just plain doesn't work with your trim package, year, model, engine package etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: fp13-2 and Tony P

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Maybe I'm just getting old and paranoid, but I don't like messing with factory wiring. In these dark days of "subscription based" seat warmers and remote starters (look it up it is a thing) plugging into the OEM wiring of anything except a police package with approved plugs is something I won't do. My boss bought a remote starter that said it was plug and play with for explorer police interceptor 2020 and up. I get to looking at it and they want me to cut their "plug and play" plugs off the device and solder it inline to the OEM ignition harness; apparently the plug and play only worked on 2020 models. No thanks, that's not "plug and play". I have "unf***ed" several installs for people where problems could all be traced back to headlight flashers or other items tied into OEM stuff. Don't even get me started on how well ambulance builders interface their stuff with the OEM chassis. I have trucks that can't regen because the ambulance module programming puts the vehicle into high-idle when they are in park (with no override), and I have to pull the connections to the ambulance "box" to get the trucks to low idle in park to regen (Cummins). The list goes on. With all the options out there for lights I just leave the factory stuff alone.

It sucks this module you got said it was compatible but seems like it isn't, but I bet with all the different options out there it just plain doesn't work with your trim package, year, model, engine package etc.
I agree 100% We dont even flash taillights on PIUs anymore because of bcm issues. With all the high quality LED options out there now, its so much safer and easier to just add aftermarket lighting.

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA

With the 2021 PIU you can do remote start for free with the FordPass app, which is what I did. Granted that doesn't work on the fleet side of things, but for a single user it's nice. I initially ordered a $300 plug and play kit before realizing it was already built in.

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
Why does that name, Jeremy Ginn, sound familiar? Wasn't there some issues with him years ago here on eLb ?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
With the 2021 PIU you can do remote start for free with the FordPass app, which is what I did. Granted that doesn't work on the fleet side of things, but for a single user it's nice. I initially ordered a $300 plug and play kit before realizing it was already built in.
That's the route we will probably go with the single unit my boss drives. I didn't want to get involved in for pass but for one vehicle if it avoids cutting stuff it will be the best option.

Reactions: fp13-2

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Why does that name, Jeremy Ginn, sound familiar? Wasn't there some issues with him years ago here on eLb ?
Probably.... I hate it when I hear names and I get that vague feeling I once got an official email rom XYZ depart about their activities but cannot place it for the life of me.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
That's the route we will probably go with the single unit my boss drives. I didn't want to get involved in for pass but for one vehicle if it avoids cutting stuff it will be the best option.
I could be wrong, but I think that it has to be ordered with certain options in order to have the factory remote start. I don’t think that it works on all of them across the board. I think you need to have factory keyless entry. Most of the cars that I build don’t have that.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I could be wrong, but I think that it has to be ordered with certain options in order to have the factory remote start. I don’t think that it works on all of them across the board. I think you need to have factory keyless entry. Most of the cars that I build don’t have that.
We have the factory keyless and remote, the remote lacks the start button. I have been waiting for an answer from ford about whether the larger keyless remote with the start button is available for this model; initially we had been told that the smaller one with lock, unlock and panic was the only one and did not work to remote start it (despite some button combinations that were suggested). I'm not in a huge hurry I'm just glad I am not splicing factory harnesses either way.

mackgranite

Feb 11, 2011
USA Marcy, New York
Hi there everyone,
I purchased a Speed Turtle 3.0 for my 2021 Chevy Silverado from a facebook group. I took the time to read the instructions and download the STE Configuration software to my laptop and checked off what I wanted to flash for the module.
The issue that I am having is I had disconnected the wiring hardness per the instructions, and re-plugged them into the module exactly what the instructions said to do. Then I want to turn my vehicle key over and the anti-theft device came on plus the truck will not start.
I disconnected the module and re-plugged the vehicle hardness back in and the truck works. I am no sure if this speed turtle 3.0 is going to even work for my truck. Does anyone have any insight on the anti-theft issue???
I would love to use this speed turtle so I do not have to put any headlight flashers, taillight flashers and have to cut the wiring to the truck, however this speed turtle does not seem to be working at all with my truck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Frank
Not sure on your issue, however I use one on my 2020 GMC for headlight wig wag and tail light flash only. I have it tied to my Whelen CenCom Sapphire. When in use, my heated seats don't work and on a few occasions it has locked my doors when the fob was in the cupholder. I keep onstar active just in case.

GE

Sep 30, 2015
Prairies Canada
FWIW cutting into factory wiring is not a huge deal IF you study the vehicle wiring closely and diode the crap out of everything. The main issue with frying modules is putting current into a wire from an alternate source without the original source of that wire being protected against reverse polarity, which is essentially what you are doing to it.

I installed a Whelen flasher onto the LED taillights of an F150 and it worked perfectly, however I was very careful to study the electronic schematics to verify that the current went directly to ground after it hit the lamp module and that the supply was indeed +12VDC. I spliced 5 amp inline diodes into the factory harness to prevent backfeed to the BCM as well as at the flasher to prevent vehicle current backfeeding into it. The system worked perfectly and still does to this day some six years later, and the taillights do provide excellent warning. Applying the brakes overrides the flashing, with the only caveat being turn signals wouldn't really display properly to the rear but that's hardly a concern when moving forwards.

This was, however, for a POV and not for an agency. This user required a discreet appearance and factory LED taillights preclude adding anything to the housing, so this is the route we went. If it's not something you are comfortable or familiar with to a tee on the precise vehicle and system you are messing with, I wouldn't recommend it.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
FWIW cutting into factory wiring is not a huge deal IF you study the vehicle wiring closely and diode the crap out of everything. The main issue with frying modules is putting current into a wire from an alternate source without the original source of that wire being protected against reverse polarity, which is essentially what you are doing to it.

I installed a Whelen flasher onto the LED taillights of an F150 and it worked perfectly, however I was very careful to study the electronic schematics to verify that the current went directly to ground after it hit the lamp module and that the supply was indeed +12VDC. I spliced 5 amp inline diodes into the factory harness to prevent backfeed to the BCM as well as at the flasher to prevent vehicle current backfeeding into it. The system worked perfectly and still does to this day some six years later, and the taillights do provide excellent warning. Applying the brakes overrides the flashing, with the only caveat being turn signals wouldn't really display properly to the rear but that's hardly a concern when moving forwards.

This was, however, for a POV and not for an agency. This user required a discreet appearance and factory LED taillights preclude adding anything to the housing, so this is the route we went. If it's not something you are comfortable or familiar with to a tee on the precise vehicle and system you are messing with, I wouldn't recommend it.
I agree with most of what you are saying. Im definitely not afraid to tap into certain vehicles. I know that its totally ok to install remote starts on PIUs, Ive done plenty of them. However, the issue with the speed turtle, is that it does send power into the bcm. And the issue with 20+ PIUs, is that the typical way of installing a flasher is to break the wire, and use a relay, only sending power to the light, and not letting it feed back to the bcm. However, when the bcm doesn’t see the load, it cuts power to the light. So if the flasher is on, and the wire is broken, and then you turn on your lights while the flasher is on, the vehicle doesn’t see the load, and doesn’t actually turn on the light. Now you’ve turned off your flasher, and drive off, and you have no taillights. But it isn’t totally consistent, sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn’t.
Now the way that you are talking, Ive never tried. Which would be installing a diode between the bcm and the light, and applying the flasher between the diode and the light. Maybe that would work? Idk? But it probably wouldn’t, because if your lights were on, there would be no way of the lights flashing “off.” In the instance of the PIU, there is plenty of room for two hideaways in there, so, its just easier and safer to add hideaways. I build for multiple agencies, and none of them have had a problem with this.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.