Speedway rescue efforts

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
ARCA rollover crash at Talladega. I like this clip because it appears to be unedited showing the events in real-time.

First responders check on the condition of the driver and take care of the flash fire with fire extinguishers. Rescue truck arrives and prepares hydraulic tools in case they're needed. Fire fighting truck arrives and pulls (and charges) a line to cover rescue crews attending the driver. Rollback tow truck used to stabilize car. Driver walks to ambulance.

These guys really looked coordinated and well-practiced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvjGgjb5dE4&feature=g-vrec

jws926

Dec 28, 2011
USA/ AZ
NASCAR and all the tracks owned by ISC/SMI take saftey very seriously , all the rescue crews train through out the year, they use wrecked race cars donated by race teams or NASCAR, or both, not sure 100% though. A lot of the track rescue workers are volly's.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
Great job by the wrecker crew.

That was one shiny deck on that flat bed, not all scrached up from use. I bet that truck will hold its value nicely.

Lazzati

May 22, 2010
Salem County NJ
I work at the NJ racetrack where ARCA, Bush series, and Team Promo along with other large race are held. As a fire/rescue tech and can say we do drill hard and play harder. Here are a few pic from an accident I had to pick up during pre Grand am race.

photo.jpg

photo (1).jpg

photo (2).jpg

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
At least they can rescue drivers better than they can fight fire. That crash that involved the jet dryer.... that was a fiasco. Shoulda been handled a LOT better. Instead of fighting the fire running down the track, put the main fire out and the track fire will go out. We were watching that at the station, and laughing at the way they handled that

Grotonems5

Jun 1, 2010
Groton, Vermont
Lazzati said:
I work at the NJ racetrack where ARCA, Bush series, and Team Promo along with other large race are held. As a fire/rescue tech and can say we do drill hard and play harder. Here are a few pic from an accident I had to pick up during pre Grand am race.

That's a sweet wrecker, double boom extensions! Never seen that before.

Lazzati

May 22, 2010
Salem County NJ
Grotonems5 said:
That's a sweet wrecker, double boom extensions! Never seen that before.

we have had problems when we picked cars up without the extension a few years ago of the car swinging into the boom and one time our spreader bar almost punched out the back window as one of the tow strap we used to pick and swing a car broke..... Talk about the pucker factor on both of those incidents. We had out shop at the squad attach the extensions booms on both our light duty and medium duty wreckers. Only thing I don't like is how slow the winch spools reel in and out.

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
I would say this brush truck crew got a little excited when they pulled up. Still, excellent knock-down. Thankfully the driver was able to exit under his own power before the fire extended into the cockpit.

Mike L.

May 21, 2010
Everett, WA
Captain4164 said:
At least they can rescue drivers better than they can fight fire. That crash that involved the jet dryer.... that was a fiasco. Shoulda been handled a LOT better. Instead of fighting the fire running down the track, put the main fire out and the track fire will go out. We were watching that at the station, and laughing at the way they handled that

What do you expect them to do? The Jet Dryer has 200 gallons of Jet A fuel. Not many fire apparatus is equipped to handle something like that. What they needed was an airport crash truck or even an ARFF. I thought they did a pretty good job and got the fire under control fairly quickly considering they aren't equipped to handle something like that. Easy to monday morning QB them, but I bet you wouldn't be able to do better with the equipment they had. Hey what do I know - I only used to work at an airport.

For what its worth, the delay had nothing to do with the fire, that was put out rather quickly. The delay was due to them waiting for the asphalt to cool and inspect its condition.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
vonirkinshtine said:
I would say this brush truck crew got a little excited when they pulled up. Still, excellent knock-down. Thankfully the driver was able to exit under his own power before the fire extended into the cockpit.

Thank God the driver got out... That video looks like it needs Benny Hill music, lol.

Moe24

Apr 2, 2013
Queens, NY
Jennifer Rose Towing said:
Great job by the wrecker crew.

That was one shiny deck on that flat bed, not all scrached up from use. I bet that truck will hold its value nicely.

That might have been the first time they used that bed. That's a century part of miller industries. Every year Miller & Jerr-Dan put out at least 15 or more trucks per track over the country. For advertising and use. Then at the end of the season they go out to dealers to be sold as new, nerver registered lol. All they need is a grease job and right front tire from going in circuls.

delcofirecop

Jul 22, 2012
usa pa
I have taken a few classes as a tow operator for race rescue race track wrecker operators atleast the one's I have trained with all have vehicle rescue technician and emt or at least first responder certs most are also firefighters and we are indeed all volunteers both the fire ems response crews and the tow truck operators.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
vonirkinshtine said:

This unusual crash reminds me of a similar incident that my standby ambulance service in Lubbock worked in 1973. During the car races one Saturday night they had a "daredevil" show during intermission. We had one guy who was trying the ramp-jump as in this picture, and he crashed just like in this one, but he didn't catch fire. He was very shaken up but didn't require transportation. Just a few minutes later another guy was using the same ramps; but this time it was with a motorcycle trying to jump over a few cars. This guy came down on his front tire rather than the back, which flipped him over. He had a broken collar bone and was transported.

My service worked 99% of the sporting events in and around Lubbock for 22 years, and during that time we had only one fatalitiy. That was in 1989, when a sprint car came into turn 3 and blew a tire, which catapulted the car into the retaining wall by the pits. People were forever standing near that fence even though they were continuously warned not to. When the sprint car hit the wall it also hit a utility pole, breaking it at ground level. It swivled up and caught a young guy who was trying to run away in the back of the head. Needless to say, he had massive head injuries and internal injuries. We called for a helicopter but they couldn't respond, so we headed for the closest facility, which was a small orthopedic hospital. We had to suction and do CPR all the way in; but he was pretty well gone when we loaded. As I said, in our 22 years at that track, it was the first fatality we had to work and only the second in the history of that track.

Here in Midland there's a small dragstrip that's been open for a few years not far from where I live. Last summer they had a unusual crash where a dragster crashed into the back wall of the facility. The driver lost both feet in the accident and was airlifted out. This track has its own ambulance, but uses off-duty Midland FD medics. They have a no-transport policy, whereby they stabilize and care for the patient until a city truck gets there. I've noticed this sort of policy in place the past few years at this track and the circle track as well. Their logic is that if they transport, the track has to shut down in their absecnce, or let the drivers run at their own risk. We always transported......period.....whether they had to shut down or not. When we eventually grew in size we managed to keep two ambulances at each event, unless we had multiple events at the same time which would spread us too thin, and that worked well for a very long time!

I would also mention that EMS care for sporting events has really done well over the past 20 years. Once-upon-a-time we were just considered "ambulance attendants"....and to that end we got a bad time from an elderly ER nurse when we came in with a patient fully packaged back in the early '70s, not long after the incident I describe above. In 1973 we had just gotten Emergency Care Attendant training here in Texas: the forerunner to EMT certs, with EMT certification in 1974 and the first paramedics around 1975. That nurse mentioned above was absolutely horrified that we had packaged the patient, and when we tried to give her vitals, she said, "Don't tell me anything about this patient, you're no damned doctor."

And in Lubbock, we'd been doing proper c-spine precautions, etc., since 1970. The old nurse was absolutely horrified when I told her that within the next couple of years we'd be doing a lot more. Now look where emergency medicine has gone! These guys do a great job!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.