Speker wiring help

Jun 24, 2015
Andrews TX
I have two AS124 wired in parallel to a LCS 880 siren my question is when the siren is on it sounds like it has a loose wire connection somewhere. Speakers are new and wiring is checked and is good. The instructions says that the wiring from me siren does not matter + or - as long as the speaker wiring are wired in parallel. Do I have to ground the speakers to a body or battery ground seperately or what are your suggestions

Last edited by a moderator:

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
The speakers should not be grounded.

My first thought is that the siren amp may not be getting enough power, which will cause distortion. A siren with dual speakers pulls about 16 A, so you need 12 AWG or larger power and ground wires to the amp.

Next thing would be to try one speaker at a time and see if the problem isolates.

Reactions: Retired1
Jun 24, 2015
Andrews TX
I did try one at a time and same thing using 14 awg power wire no cheap wire either

Siren amp is coming straight off the battery with 8 awg wire into a blue sea fuse block. I will check the power wires from there to the amp I believe they are 14 AWG also they are the supplied siren harness. The siren is grounded using the same set up. I will try to post a video of the issue when I get home

Last edited by a moderator:

CPSS

Aug 1, 2013
Clifton Park, NY
Quote said:
If two speakers are installed, it is necessary to connect the speakers in-phase. This is accomplished by connecting the two speaker leads marked “1” to the same lead of the siren's speaker cable, and the two speaker leads marked “2” to the other lead of the siren's speaker cable. 
This is copied from the speaker installation manual.

This is necessary so that the speakers dont effectively cancel some of the sound from each other. If they are not in phase, one speaker diaphram will be pushing out, while the other is pulling in. Not sure if this is your problem, but you seem to think + and - don't matter. Actually they are labeled on the speaker as "1" and "2" 

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.