Split Dome Beacons

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
How are the dome halves attached? Glue or some type of plastic welding process?
I had a friend in Lubbock who had bought a TwinSonic that came with red domes. He ran a service that did roadside assistance and couldn't have red to the front but could have red to the rear. Blue or amber forward was o.k., so he got a blue dome and took it and the red dome to a plastics manufacturer in Lubbock and they were able to cut both domes and put them back together with blue to the front and red to the rear. Seems like they used some kind of clear silicone in the process.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I never really thought about it, but that was probably the shortcoming of the Twinsonic and similar lightbars.  The inability to show one color to the front and another color to the rear.  Federal certainly addressed that problem with the Aerodynic and Jetsonic series.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Here's something quite unique: a split red-amber Dominion Auto 357.

The dome is pretty old and the amber side spider-cracked but since it is the only one I know to be so far in existence, I guess I can share it all the same.

DSCN1107.JPG

DSCN1108.JPG

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
This is what Dietz used to do to create their amber/red domes for the 7-11, 7-40, and 7-61 beacons. I believe those were their only "split" colored domes offered.
Interesting. I can't imagine that it was the most effective and would cut down the output.

Ben G

May 24, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Dominion  Automotive made them specifically for the Ontario Ministry of Transportation Highway Patrol units.  Those units were non law enforcement, and patrolled the major 400 series highways in the Toronto / Niagara Corridor. They assisted at MVC's, provided traffic control and first aid, and assisted disabled motorists. And I guess I will have to post a picture of the NOS one I have.     Ben

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Please do, Ben. I'd like to see.

This one came from New Bruinswick and was owned in the 60's by a fire station, according to the person who traded it to me.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Awesome grab for $15!!! There was a thread or post on here that someone discussed a plastic specific adhesive that did not leave residue. I will try to find it. I believe Rob was the one talking about it.

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
Digging around, I found some pictures of a few of these for the FB3's from inventory photos. They were produced to comply with our state laws requiring red to the driver's side and blue to the passenger side on LE vehicles. These would have been a necessity when using the UF7 flash mirror assembly to meet this statutory requirement versus the front/rear red/blue split which produced a smorgasbord of red/blue flashes...

And an FB4, dual speed, utilizing one of those split filters;

Attachments

• 101_0861 - Copy.JPG
    101_0861 - Copy.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 100_5396 - Copy.JPG
    100_5396 - Copy.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
You are correct, it was terrible.
That reminds me of an ambulance I used to see as a little kid. It was a '51 Chevy sedan-delivery. It had two clear driving lights mounted on the front corners of the roof which were painted red. The only "real" red light on the ambulance was the spinning PropelloRay light on the fender-mounted siren. It belonged to Ellis Funeral Home here originally, and when it was replaced by a '54 Ford wagon, the Chevy was given to the predominantly black funeral home. Something you'd like, Dan, a red BR2 was added to the rear roof, but the nice big siren/light was replaced with a tiny Federal VL siren. The guy just couldn't understand why people weren't seeing and hearing him!

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
I got the other one. Nice light. I trashed the box. Smelled. Light is gorgeous. It shows they had blue red and blue amber options. Wonder if those had actual split domes. This one is red sprayed. Looks brand new

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.