Spotlight Gurus! Need help please.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
I need someone to give me some instruction on how to "detail strip" a Unity Spotlight. I cannot for the life of me figure it out. I can take the head off, I can remove the handle, and even pull the unit from a car, but I cannot figure out how you remove the shaft from the head! Is this not possible? I've removed every screw and pin I can find, and this thing will not separate. It looks as if it is supposed to, but I have had no success.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
kadetklapp said:
...but I cannot figure out how you remove the shaft from the head! Is this not possible?.
awww_totalgamingnetwork_com_attachment_php_b68951a97e7a49c0bd41f8f975be8e33._.jpg

fcicars

May 22, 2010
Washington State
There's a pin that holds the top gear assembly in place. You have to get a punch and hammer it out. Once the top gear is out, you can pull the inner shaft.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
fcicars said:
There's a pin that holds the top gear assembly in place. You have to get a punch and hammer it out. Once the top gear is out, you can pull the inner shaft.

Well that's what I thought. Are you referring to the pin that is directly beneath where the head would be? If so, I removed it and still no dice. I didn't see any other pins.

fcicars

May 22, 2010
Washington State
The top gear assembly is always very tight and it has a spring inside, so you have to take care when removing. I always do it putting the rectangular top of the top gear in a vise and wiggling the shaft assembly to loosen it. You have to watch out when you release the vise though, because the pieces will sometimes fly all over the place as the spring releases.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
What a PITA. Ended up just swapping the plastic portion (all it did was make it look newer, and it's lighter weight). Put a different handle onit that I had in my Caprice and it seems to be working great now. Adjusted the screw on the outside of the A-pillar near the bracket and now it turns nicely.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.