Spotlight switch replacement

bdwhit

Jun 26, 2010
Olathe,Kansas
I have rebuilt many Unity 'spots' over the years, and one of the major issues I have is with the switch design. I am considering replacing the paddle switch on my POV pillar spot with a push button unit(latch on/latch off type), if I can fit it inside the handle cap. Does Unity have a replacement switch of this type, or do I replace the spring loaded plunger/cup assembly like I usually do? I have converted my spot from a halogen to a Whelen LED head, so current draw is pretty low. Any input from you would be helpful. Thanks BW

UnityUSA

Nov 25, 2015
Chicago IL
To better explain the light, I just want to clarify some terminology. The metal "paddle" that you use to turn the light on and off is the toggle. The switch is a small black box inside the handle. The switch box connects the external power wire to the contact tip at the end of the shaft. On its own it has an incomplete circuit. When the toggle is in the on position, its contact lines up to complete the circuit on the switch box. In theory as long as you can get the contact to properly align when the button is pushed it would work.

For our spotlights we only have the toggle. We do not have a push button version available. We did design a push button version at one time and of what I have heard it worked. I don't know if any of the internal parts were different. Also, I don't know if this is accurate, but I heard the project was scrapped because automakers did not like it. Project was before my time at Unity.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.