Spotlights

May 27, 2010
Lebanon PA
Hello

Maybe this is in the wrong area but here I go. DOes anybody remember when they mounted remote control spotlights on the hood of police cars. I remember this from our area in the 70,s on the big boat cars. It was similar to the old fender mounted sirens. I checked out the classic police web sites I know of and cannot find a picture of any. Well if anyone knows of and pics kindly post a link. I was telling the kids at work about this and they want to see (cause they dont beleive it)

Thanks

Support

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
Check out post number 275 on page 10 in the "Official whacker or screwed up install" thread in the off topic forum to see some pics of one of those remote controlled Jabsco spotlights mounted on the speaker housing of a Twinsonic. That's also the way they used to mount them on vehicles around here, not on the front fender.

BTW, if you want one, I have several of them available for sale.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
We had one center mounted on the lower roof of our '71 Cadi ambulance just above the rear view mirror.

ai920.photobucket.com_albums_ad42_Steve_Collins_EROE71Cadillac.jpg

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
crescentstar69 said:
Gotta dig the Fireball hood ornament on that Caddy!
We added that shortly after we took delivery on the car. Everyone decided that the nose got to an intersection long before the rest of the ambulance did.

The main roof light is a Deitz 2-11 hill model with red and clear 4416's under a clear dome.

The tunnel lights on the sides and rear are red round headlight bulbs complete with the three nubs for aiming them.

The two round rotators on the front low roof are the kind that were popular back then, two small bulbs on a rotating frame. They'd be worth a LOT of money these days.

I added a Dunbar-Nunn Unitrol headlight wig-wag unit (the old fashioned one with the 537 can flasher) because none of our drivers could understand that the most visible lighting in the daytime is the headlights and never bothered to turn them on unless it was dark. So I wired the wig-wag in on one of regular emergency light switches and it took most of them years to figure it out even after I told them that I did it.

That car was one of the best ambulances I ever worked in.

Oh yeah, that gold wagon behind the ambulance is my '72 Buick Estate Wagon. Wish I still had that car.

CFD125

May 21, 2010
Carver, Mass.
I'm pretty sure that we still have an Explorer with one mounted on the hood. Carver PD used them on Crown Vic's right up to about 1999.

I know that Signal-Stat also offered them a long time ago.

I have one, and the controls, but have yet to test it.

They came with a dual filament Par36 bulb. One filament for flood, and one for spot.

I think the bulb was a GE 4700 ???

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
I just bought a NOS Jabsco/ITT Remote spot light with controller for $75.00 on this site 3 days ago.... one must pay attention grasshopper! :D

CFD125

May 21, 2010
Carver, Mass.
Well, I thought we still had one in service, but a quick look around the PD parking lot turned up two of them.

So either they are not vintage, or the CPD is far behind the times!!!

These pics were taken today:

ai288.photobucket.com_albums_ll191_CFD125_1301260479.jpg

ai288.photobucket.com_albums_ll191_CFD125_1301260413.jpg

ai288.photobucket.com_albums_ll191_CFD125_1301260497.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.