Squad 51 Siren?

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Wailer said:
Skip, the sirens I was thinking of are a cross between a model 66 and 66H or 28 and 28H. The number of ports for the higher tone are different than a standard double tone. That particular version of the double tone is rare.

Well, you've mis-stated it again. None of the 60-series are doubletones. The high pitched models: 66GH and 28H have 16 ports, compared to 8 ports for the standard tone. The old Federal catalogs even describe the cycles-per-second differences between the H models and standard sirens. Federal did make a non-coasting doubletone siren for a few years in the late 50s and early 60s. There were two models available: one for Chevies and one for Fords. They were special-built to fit behind the grilles of those two cars; and because of size limitations, the doubletones were non-coasters because there wasn't room to add the coaster clutch. They also offered a special-built 28 for grille-mount applications. Sorry to say, I've never seen one of them; but a friend who used to deal in Federal products said they had a strange look to them.

As to the "H"model high-pitched sirens, Federal offered them in the 60 series and the EW series, all at extra cost. I know how you dislike the high pitches, but Midland PD had a 28H on one of its patrol cars in the '60s which was ear-shattering. I don't know if it came with a specail motor, or if it might've been a 6-volt siren running on 12-volts (as Midland was bad about that), but that one particular siren had a very quick rise to it; and it would hurt your ears. I always wanted one of them ever since and finally got one from the late John Dorgan several years ago, and I latched onto a 66GH a few years ago as well. My only other H model is an EGH.

One last word about the doubletones. It's not widely known, and I've only seen two of them, but Sireno also built a doubletone siren which they called a "dualtone". These were available by special-order only. Now those are sirens that are extremely rare. The two I've seen were both underhood models: the J8A which had no brake, and the J8B which had the brake. Both were painted in a black finish, unlike the gray hammertone color of Federal's underhood sirens (although some of Federal's underhood sirens in the '30s and '40s were black). I had a J8A that I got new back in 1964. A friend of mine in Florida dealt in a lot of used sirens back then, when prices were reasonable. You could get a used 28 from him for less than $50. I had been wanting a doubletone siren for some time. Midland had switched to the 76B underhood doubletones in 1956 and I loved that sound! I had two old sirens that I had acquired: a 6-volt S8 B&M and an old 66 (before they became 66Gs) that Federal called a "junior longroll siren". I traded both of those sirens to my friend in Florida for a brand new J8A. Not long before I made the move from here to Lubbock I loaned that siren to the Sheriff's Posse Jeep Patrol in Odessa. Big mistake! Haven't seen that siren since. If I had known that they would be so rare, that wouldn't have happened. And the sole J8B I saw was on Ebay. A friend of mine in Ohio won it and now it belong's to B&M Siren's owner, Kevin O'Connell. To conclude, Sireno sought to duplicate all of Federal's line, siren-for-siren, but not all would be stock items. The one siren that Sireno built (and there may have been others) that was exclusive to Sireno was called the "Atomic Rocket". It was built "inbetween" their Vanguard series at 8" that competed with the C-series and the 10" ED10 which competed with the Q. The Atomic Rockets were 9". I've only seen pictures of them, so I would assume that tney are quite rare.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Skip Goulet said:
Well, you've mis-stated it again. None of the 60-series are doubletones.

I'm not 'mis-stating', and the sirens I'm describing are not 60 series models.

The sirens I'm thinking of have a dual tone rotor/stator assembly with 8 and 16 ports.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Wailer said:
I'm not 'mis-stating', and the sirens I'm describing are not 60 series models.

The sirens I'm thinking of have a dual tone rotor/stator assembly with 8 and 16 ports.

Well, that would be a standard doubletone, but you said they were a cross between a 66/28 and 28H. All of Federal and Sireno's doubletone sirens had 8 ports for the low pitch and 16 for the high pitch. The old Federal Catalog 300 describes the doubletones as follows: they have a high pitch (16 ports) for contrast and a low pitch (8 ports) for carrying power and range. If what you saw was a non-coasting model, then it may well have been one of those special grille-mount models that I described in my previous post.

Either way the sound of a doubletone is unmistakeable.

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
Model 70 series double tone sirens had a row of 8 ports and a row of 10 ports. Never seen what Wailer is describing but anything is possible.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Henry455 said:
Model 70 series double tone sirens had a row of 8 ports and a row of 10 ports. Never seen what Wailer is describing but anything is possible.

You know, Tim, I've never counted the high pitch ports. I always assumed 16 like on all of the "H" models. Like I said, my only idea is the old special doubletones for the Chevy and Ford police cars "way back when" could've been what he saw, and they were non-coasters.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I have a picture of the interior of the Squad 51 at the Los Angeles Country museum and it is equipped with a Motorola radio and a Federal PA20A series 2E. I have a siren exactly like it, and it does not sound anything like the siren that was used in the TV show.

randyd

Feb 8, 2022
Great Britain
There were three Squad 51’s during the filming of the original movie and the entire run of the show. In the series movie premiere two Squads were used. These were the genuine articles. Two Dodge D300’s (1968 & 1971) were lent to the studio by the fire department for the production because the Universal Fabrication shop was at that time building their own Rescue Squad from supplied LACFD blue prints. The first squad depicted Squad 10. The second newer truck wore magnetic “Squad 51” placards and this vehicle appeared until episode 5 of season one. Notice that the Transonic Light Bar doesn’t have the white strobe light on top. The LACFD deemed these lights unnecessary as the rigs were being build. This identifies this Squad as the real MaCoy. In Episode 5 when the boys pull into that small municipal airport we see the studio build squad for the first time. The light bar has the white strobe as per the construction blueprints. The studio was not aware that fire department chose not to install them on their equipment. Season two had a Squad 51 with some distinctive changes. The two “D” towing lugs on the rear step/bumper. The different style side mirror mounts. The interiors of the cab doors now have a black vinyl trim cover (the original squad had metal doors painted to match the exterior). The “Dodge” emblem on the hood is now painted over. The year before it was chromed. The first Dodge truck was scavenged for parts for the sake of continuity between both seasons. The light bar, equipment compartment box and front grill were transferred over to the second vehicle. Season three saw a third brand new Dodge truck appear. This vehicle again scavenged parts from the second truck to maintain appearance. It’s accurate to say that the LACounty Fire Museum Squad have the original lightbar, grill and rear box from season one. That truck however is a 1974 Dodge D300 1 &1/2 ton cab and chassis with duals. The VIN on the dash of this truck confirms that. The only difference between this season three truck and the previous season two vehicle is the third truck now has a rear cargo light above the rear cab window and the black interior door panel only covers half the door, not the full length.

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
It was a Federal Signal CTS with a metal plate placed in the speaker section instead of the normal speaker cover. Seems to me someone on this board has this CTS, perhaps it is Ryan or Eric?

A lot of people immediately think this was a modified TwinSonic. But it was actually a Code3 SD lightbar. A 2600-series. Some agencies actually placed a speaker in that center section naked, uncovered.

1644441686044.png

ccsd834

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 19, 2019
Dallas, TX
A lot of people immediately think this was a modified TwinSonic. But it was actually a Code3 SD lightbar. A 2600-series. Some agencies actually placed a speaker in that center section naked, uncovered.

View attachment 234826
Back in the early 80s, Louisville (KY) PD or Jefferson Co. SO (can't remember which one) had some of these SD bars with Federal Q sirens mounted in the center opening on their patrol cars. Wild looking setup. Almost ran out of the road the first time I saw one. I can only imagine how the roof vibrated when they wound that sucker up! And I don't want to think about the amp draw an 8-lamp bar and that Q all going at the same time. Wish I had taken a pic back then. Would love to see one if anyone happens to have one.

As this thread tends to wander off-topic, I will add yet another burrow to this Warren…
It was Jefferson County Police (now part of Metro Louisville P. D.) and they were Dietz 911s with fast rotators inboard and normal rotators outboard with V mirrors in between facing forward. They switched from 174s (blue glass domes) and the Q was on the hood or fender.

9EE797AE-4FA2-4892-B8FF-95E1AC3E889C.png
this is my mini bar made from a damaged 911 my brother and I made (he was a local P. D. Chief at the time).
E40E7993-425D-4252-AA81-ECDDDD11100C.jpeg
Louisville Fire played with Qs on Model 11s for a while then switched to something similar to JCPD. (Photos from KentuckyFireTrucks.com) They put them on bars b/c the hood hinges/springs were too flimsy to support the weight.

8E0F7ED2-7CF9-4B4F-9B28-8B8D1868A9BB.jpeg 709E395A-1BC6-4108-9DBA-87D1587D2A33.jpeg
The Olds was diesel…this is Batallion 2’s car, Maj Bud Fedeke (housed with Engine 5 and Snorkle 2 on Jefferson Street). He was a day staff on my volunteer fire department when he was captain and taught me quite a bit—an outstanding gentleman and firefighter.

Last edited:

ccsd834

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 19, 2019
Dallas, TX
As this thread tends to wander off-topic, I will add yet another burrow to this Warren…
It was Jefferson County Police (now part of Metro Louisville P. D.) and they were Dietz 911s with fast rotators inboard and normal rotators outboard with V mirrors in between facing forward. They switched from 174s (blue glass domes) and the Q was on the hood or fender.

View attachment 234841
this is my mini bar made from a damaged 911 my brother and I made (he was a local P. D. Chief at the time).
View attachment 234842
Louisville Fire played with Qs on Model 11s for a while then switched to something similar to JCPD. (Photos from KentuckyFireTrucks.com) They put them on bars b/c the hood hinges/springs were too flimsy to support the weight.

View attachment 234843 View attachment 234844
The Olds was diesel…this is Batallion 2’s car, Maj Bud Fedeke (housed with Engine 5 and Snorkle 2 on Jefferson Street). He was a day staff on my volunteer fire department when he was captain and taught me quite a bit—an outstanding gentleman and firefighter.
I stand corrected on the model. 40 years has taken a toll on my memory. Thanks for the pics, Maxim2Eng, and the trip down memory lane. Outstanding!

Reactions: Maxim2Eng

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
stansdds said "It was a Federal Signal CTS with a metal plate placed in the speaker section instead of the normal speaker cover." You can see in the photo below that the lightbar has the normal speaker cover. And, if you look closely, you will see it is a CTS, not a Code3 SD bar. I've seen photos of the side of the squad where you can clearly see the Federal tag on the bar's end cap.

1644710504660.png

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Whats on the chiefs car??? Split Twin Sonic??

This is the SD bar in question, not the CTS on squad 51..... we are discussing like 5 things in this thread.

Squad 51 had CTS bars with small variations over the years. Other apparatus on other shows had the "missing speaker grill" SD bar and similar "missing center" bars like in the video above.

This thread is a mess to the point I can't keep straight what we are identifying... but rest assured Squad 51 had a CTS....no one is denying that, we are just talking about too many different TV lightbars in one thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maxim2Eng

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
This is the SD bar in question, not the CTS on squad 51..... we are discussing like 5 things in this thread.

Squad 51 had CTS bars with small variations over the years. Other apparatus on other shows had the "missing speaker grill" SD bar and similar "missing center" bars like in the video above.

This thread is a mess to the point I can't keep straight what we are identifying... but rest assured Squad 51 had a CTS....no one is denying that, we are just talking about too many different TV lightbars in one thread.
My apologies; I was confused.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
My apologies; I was confused.
We all were....we all were.... like 20 minutes of rereading the thread got me back somewhere near on track.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.