Squad 51 Twin Sonic

Jun 4, 2012
New England
crescentstar69 said:
Good show, but definitely some cheesy productions. I am watching an episode right now where the guys leave the station in broad sunny daylight, and when they arrive on their call, it is pitch dark night. Also, the "old Dodge/new Dodge footage during responses is comical. Definitely an entertaining show, but you can't take it too seriously.

Maybe so, but perhaps that's one of the reasons why the show is so fun. Regardless of the production goofs, I think this show is better than most of the shows that have been on TV in the past 10 years or so.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
crescentstar69 said:
Agreed, not dissing it. It is fun to watch.

I agree, as well! I loved the show when I was a teenager, and I still love to watch it today. Finding production goofs is part of the fun. I love going to IMDB and looking up trivia and production goofs for various movies and TV shows. One of my favorite goofs on Emergency is when the ambulance leaves the scene as a Caddy or Suburban, and it grows to a type 1 by the time it arrives at Rampart.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
"Can't take it too seriously"?

That show singlehandedly launched EMS as we know it today as well as inspired hundreds of thousands of people to enter emergency medicine.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
CHIEFOPS said:
That show singlehandedly launched EMS as we know it today as well as inspired hundreds of thousands of people to enter emergency medicine.

Bingo! That is the show's ultimate claim to fame. It showcased the possibilities and usefulness of having trained paramedics go to calls as first responders and I'm sure it inspired at least one generation of EMT's.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
stansdds said:
Bingo! That is the show's ultimate claim to fame. It showcased the possibilities and usefulness of having trained paramedics go to calls as first responders and I'm sure it inspired at least one generation of EMT's.

It's still brought up in some of the station classes. Only the older members know what is being talked about.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Night Patrolman said:
Maybe so, but perhaps that's one of the reasons why the show is so fun. Regardless of the production goofs, I think this show is better than most of the shows that have been on TV in the past 10 years or so.

Considering the restricted amount of training that California paramedics had back in the early days, and both actors went through a great deal of that training themselves, what was done on the show in terms of medical care was quite realistic for the time. As a young EMT when the show was in production, I loved to try to second-guess what the paramedics' on-scene diagnosis would be. And even with my limited training, I'd come awful close most of the time.

And it's a well known fact that this show alone was responsible for a lot of young people (mostly men back then) going in for paramedic training, and it's what put EMS into a lot of fire departments....something that's considered "old hat" nowadays.

I've mentioned this story on other threads, but bears repeating here. Until 1974, a local funeral home here in Midland had been the sole ambulance provider since 1968 when the one private ambulance company moved its operation to Sweetwater, TX. By this time the oldest son of family (this was a family-operated funeral home) had been elected to the city council, and when it was proposed that a full-line EMS system be instituted within the Midland Fire Dept, this councilman fought the city tooth-and-nail. This small operation never did a lot of funeral business, but their ambulance service kept the place going. The sad thing was that until the last couple of years of their ambulance operation, they actually ran (and got by with) one-man ambulances. They had a pair of Pontiac Consort ambulances, and they figured that was sufficient to cover a town of then-70,000. One time when I was down here for Thanksgiving (I still lived in Lubbock and had my standby ambulance service in operation) I had come down in my 1962 International Carryall ambulance that had been bought from Baker Ambulance in Odessa. My mom had gone out of town so my dad and I were "batching it" whle she was gone. We had been out to eat, and just as we walked in the house I could hear my scanner chattering loudly, so I went back to see what was going on. It turned out that a private lear-jet belonging to an oil compay based out of Denver had exploded in mid-air over a ranch about 14 mi. north of town. The funeral home responded both of their ambulances. It was stated that there were at least 25 people on board the jet; but fortunately as it turned out, all but the piolot and copilot had disembarked at the Midland Air Terminal, leaving only those two on board. So my phone rang and it was my best friend wanting to know if I was going out to the crash, so I told him to meet me outside. When we got to the scene, the older son and the dad were there in both ambulances, and the son pitched a bitch fit when we drove up: stomping his feet and acting like an idiot! The dad quickly chastised the guy and that was it! It seems that they thought our old rig was still one of Baker's and couldn't imagine how "Baker" could've gotten from Odessa to Midland quite so fast. :eek:

But the point was that had there actually been 25 people onboard the jet, there's no way that the two ambulances could've handled that, and Baker would've been called in along with some of the surrounding communities' ambulances. What was quite comical and brought the whole thing to a close came on local TV one night after the city council had voted to establish the EMS within the fire dept. A local news anchor railed about the city council's decision saying, "Never in a hundred years will you ever see someone in an ambulance starting an IV or trying to shock a heart back into operation. That's all Hollywood hype and will never happen." I've always wondered if he ever lived that down. :undecided:

A lot of shows have come and gone over the years that have tried to duplicate or best what Emergency! did, but the closest I've seen is Chicago Fire. NBC's "Trauma" was very close, except there was too much of the soap-opera aspect in that show, which didn't last long. There's a bit of the love-triangle stuff on Chicago Fire, but I love some of their rescue scenes and how realistic everything is. I've heard that the cast actually trained with Chicago Fire Dept prior to the first taping of the show.

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
CHIEFOPS said:

The point was, those fretting about siren tones being incorrect and such.

zakovermyer

Jan 29, 2013
Illinois
Back to the original question, I watched the pilot episode today and saw the white light on the platter setup of Squad 10. Looks pretty cool. Can be seen multiple times throughout the episode. Also a couple on the Twinsonic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weXUh_8AE3k

Starts at 3:12, and throughout the response to the factory fire.

Again at 11:30,

46:16 on the Twinsonic

48:08, the scene later used in the Opening.

And take a look at the old Civil Defense Engine at 1:19:03!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Sarge619 said:

Just for fun a couple of weeks ago I googled KMG365 to see if it's an actual license. It is, indeed, licensed to LA County, but not as a fire dept operation. I intended to look up KMA367 but forgot. Next on my list!

I forgot to mention: The radio frequency is: 154.43 mhz. That's Midland's old fire channel. Too bad we never got any skip from L.A. on that channel.

However, one time I was listening to my scanner one afternoon in Lubbock and heard the then-sheriff, Sonny Keesee go 10-8. This was on 155.535. Hearing Sonny go 10-8 was nothing unusual, so I thought nothing of it until the dispatcher hesitatingly said, "10-4, 800. What's you're '20?" His response was, "Downtown L.A. Just left the conference and headed home." Just one of those freak skips I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

nick7542

May 24, 2010
Carlise PA ,USA
chief1565 said:
Well I finally saw an episode that showed the radio and siren.
here's the pics.

Wish I could get better pics but when you pause something on TV it looks good until you take a pic of it.

Here's a pic of my squad 51 siren radio setup.

0114131633b.jpg

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
Tristar said:
I agree, as well! I loved the show when I was a teenager, and I still love to watch it today. Finding production goofs is part of the fun. I love going to IMDB and looking up trivia and production goofs for various movies and TV shows. One of my favorite goofs on Emergency is when the ambulance leaves the scene as a Caddy or Suburban, and it grows to a type 1 by the time it arrives at Rampart.

I know this is off topic, but I was watching the James Bond movie Diamonds Are Forever the other night, and was disturbed when I saw the scene where Bond was driving his Mach 1 Mustang and being chased by the local Sheriff's cars. I think all of the police cars had CP25 or CP100 siren speakers on their bars, but many of the cars had mechanical siren sounds (multiple models) dubbed in. Maybe the cars had mechanical sirens under the hood, in addition to the electronic sirens, but it struck me as odd when I heard them. (I don't understand why my wife gets annoyed when I point this type of error out...I guess she's just not interested.)

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Tristar said:
I know this is off topic, but I was watching the James Bond movie Diamonds Are Forever the other night, and was disturbed when I saw the scene where Bond was driving his Mach 1 Mustang and being chased by the local Sheriff's cars. I think all of the police cars had CP25 or CP100 siren speakers on their bars, but many of the cars had mechanical siren sounds (multiple models) dubbed in. Maybe the cars had mechanical sirens under the hood, in addition to the electronic sirens, but it struck me as odd when I heard them. (I don't understand why my wife gets annoyed when I point this type of error out...I guess she's just not interested.)

Like many have said here, Hollywood doesn't care about authenticity when it comes to sounds. All those mechanical sounds were probably dubbed in and the actual cars had electronic sirens only. I still hear vintage Federal electronic sirens in modern TV shows and movies. I guess they can't bring themselves to get rid of their old Federal Directors and Interceptors in their cars:haha:!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
CrownVic97 said:
Like many have said here, Hollywood doesn't care about authenticity when it comes to sounds. All those mechanical sounds were probably dubbed in and the actual cars had electronic sirens only. I still hear vintage Federal electronic sirens in modern TV shows and movies. I guess they can't bring themselves to get rid of their old Federal Directors and Interceptors in their cars:haha:!

I saw something on an old TV move the other night where several police cars were responding Code 3. All had CP speakers on top, but what you heard sounded like Federal 28s, or something similar.

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
Here are my questions about Emergency!

1. Did they EVER shut the bay garage door when leaving on a run?

2. Did they ever use the yelp siren tone?

Just sayin..........

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
crescentstar69 said:

Just sayin..........

1. I don't think so.

2. No, but I think in a few episodes the European hi-lo tone was used.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
crescentstar69 said:

Just sayin..........

I've seen some episodes where the bay door was down when the came back and opened as they started back in. No....they never used yelp. What you always heard was the dubbed in sound of the Interceptor in manual. The hi-lo horn sound was also dubbed in...somewhat inappropriately. I finally got to watch an episode or two over the Thanksgiving holiday. This was one of the very early episodes with the original Engine 51: the Crown Firecoach with the CP25 speaker mounted in the front. Sure enough, when the truck ran you heard the mechanical siren sound. Too bad we couldn't get our Interceptors to do that! :p

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
nick7542 said:
Here's a pic of my squad 51 siren radio setup.

I have a siren that sounds just like the one that was dubbed in for Squad 51 in the TV show. It's a mid-1960s Federal PA20 with the 'alert' tone.

I think the Squad had a Motorola radio in the early episodes.

Skip Goulet said:
This was one of the very early episodes with the original Engine 51: the Crown Firecoach with the CP25 speaker mounted in the front. Sure enough, when the truck ran you heard the mechanical siren sound. Too bad we couldn't get our Interceptors to do that! :p

The Firecoach has a PA20 just like I have. The sound technicians should have dubbed in the same sound they used for the Squad. Instead they dubbed in the sound of a B&M mechanical siren.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
You people who were watching to see if the bay door was up or down or whether the tone was correct, were obviously not appreciating the cultural significance of the program:

26958.JPG

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
NPS Ranger said:
You people who were watching to see if the bay door was up or down or whether the tone was correct, were obviously not appreciating the cultural significance of the program:

View attachment 65288

THANK YOU! I thought it was just ME that thought she was smoking hot as I was growin up:inlove:

Reactions: fltmedic469

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
NPS Ranger said:

View attachment 65288

She was even hotter when she was younger. She was a singer too, but I think she had just one hit song.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Wailer said:
She was even hotter when she was younger. She was a singer too, but I think she had just one hit song.

Julie London was a popular club singer. She was also married to Jack Webb, and later Bobby Troup ("Dr. Joe Early"), who had a music career of his own and wrote the song "Route 66."

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
chief1565 said:
It's still brought up in some of the station classes. Only the older members know what is being talked about.

Yep, have an autographed photo of Randy Mantooth popping the caps on the Bristojets. Was on my corkboard at work. Guys look at it and ask who he is...DOH!

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
zakovermyer said:
Back to the original question, I watched the pilot episode today and saw the white light on the platter setup of Squad 10. Looks pretty cool. Can be seen multiple times throughout the episode. Also a couple on the Twinsonic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weXUh_8AE3k

Starts at 3:12, and throughout the response to the factory fire.

Again at 11:30,

46:16 on the Twinsonic

48:08, the scene later used in the Opening.

And take a look at the old Civil Defense Engine at 1:19:03!

Jack Webb got a lot of mileage from that fire. They ran 6 cameras, and the fire ran almost 4 minutes. 24 minutes of firefighting.

Remember having my bunkers at home, when I responded from home. Jump out of bed, into the pants, and out the door.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
The Squad 10 platter setup was equipped with a Federal C5G mechanical siren.

One other interesting thing to note in the pilot episode is that there is a brief camera shot of an Edwards Adaptahorn fire alarm buzzer hanging on the wall. That's the thing that makes the buzzing sound after the electronic beeping tones come over the loudspeaker.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Wailer said:
The Squad 10 platter setup was equipped with a Federal C5G mechanical siren.

One other interesting thing to note in the pilot episode is that there is a brief camera shot of an Edwards Adaptahorn fire alarm buzzer hanging on the wall. That's the thing that makes the buzzing sound after the electronic beeping tones come over the loudspeaker.

I hated these things. They had these in my Elementary Schools as fire alarms and they scared the shit out of me so much so that the office had to come and get me every time they were going to do a fire drill, otherwise I would freak out and run and hide somewhere in the school, or run out of the school and keep running away from the school. In fact one time the teachers couldn't catch me (there were 3 of them trying to chase me down, I was a fast kid) and I ran the 3 miles home and would be very pissed off at the teachers and office staff for not getting me out before it would go off. They learned very quickly. Then one day in the 5th grade some kid messed around with one of the pull stations on a dare, set off the alarms, and I ended up not being scared and was just fine after that.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
RyanZ71 said:
I hated these things. They had these in my Elementary Schools as fire alarms and they scared the shit out of me so much so that the office had to come and get me every time they were going to do a fire drill, otherwise I would freak out and run and hide somewhere in the school, or run out of the school and keep running away from the school.

I know what you mean. Every elementary school I went to had the Edwards fire alarm buzzers, and they made such a repulsive sound I was scared of them too. I remember two versions: the Adaptahorn which was grey and mounted on the surface of the wall and the Flush Horn which was red and mounted flush with the mechanism inside the wall.

The high school I went to had mechanical sirens for a fire alarm system. The sirens were Federal VG/O series models, and they were just as loud if not louder than the Edwards buzzers.

squad 51 fan

May 24, 2010
u.s.a.ph twp michigan
wailer, I would like your input on facebook. I am admin to a fs pa15,pa15a,pa20,pa20a owners group, your article in professional car society is the bible to our group, your more then welcome to join at anytime. as is any member of elightbars.. thanks leslie..

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
squad 51 fan said:
wailer, I would like your input on facebook. I am admin to a fs pa15,pa15a,pa20,pa20a owners group, your article in professional car society is the bible to our group, your more then welcome to join at anytime. as is any member of elightbars.. thanks leslie..

Could you link that FB page here, Sqaud? That'd be great!

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Getting back to the light bar, I think the Twin Sonic on the Squad had just one speaker, although the bar has enough room for two TS24 or TS100 speakers. The speaker was connected to a PA20A siren, but I'm not sure if the PA20A was a series 2D or 2E. The 2D was still available in the very early 1970s. I'm also not sure if the restored Squad has the original light bar and siren.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Phillyrube said:
Yep, have an autographed photo of Randy Mantooth popping the caps on the Bristojets. Was on my corkboard at work. Guys look at it and ask who he is...DOH!

Not knowing who Randy Mantooth/Johnny Gage is almost a sacrilege!!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Wailer said:
I know what you mean. Every elementary school I went to had the Edwards fire alarm buzzers, and they made such a repulsive sound I was scared of them too. I remember two versions: the Adaptahorn which was grey and mounted on the surface of the wall and the Flush Horn which was red and mounted flush with the mechanism inside the wall.

The high school I went to had mechanical sirens for a fire alarm system. The sirens were Federal VG/O series models, and they were just as loud if not louder than the Edwards buzzers.

When I was in school all we had we three bells for a fire drill or actual alarm. Years later the schools all had the Federal Model "G" handcrank sirens....about the size of the V series sirens. Whenever there was a drill or actual alarm they'd run the siren through the PA system. Now with more sophisticated technology, I'm sure they have something else.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
MtnMan said:
Julie London was a popular club singer. She was also married to Jack Webb, and later Bobby Troup ("Dr. Joe Early"), who had a music career of his own and wrote the song "Route 66."

What's sad is that both Julie and Bobby are both gone. And I'm not sure about Robert Fuller. The MTV channel shows the later Wagon Train shows that Fuller appeared in. Of course Kevin and Randy are still around. It's nice to see that Randy's popularity is still there, as he's called on to appear at a lot of fire musters and other such functions...for which I'd guess he's well compensated. On my last trip out to Southern California I got to see Randy's house, but didn't get a chance to see him in person.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Skip Goulet said:
What's sad is that both Julie and Bobby are both gone. And I'm not sure about Robert Fuller. The MTV channel shows the later Wagon Train shows that Fuller appeared in. Of course Kevin and Randy are still around. It's nice to see that Randy's popularity is still there, as he's called on to appear at a lot of fire musters and other such functions...for which I'd guess he's well compensated. On my last trip out to Southern California I got to see Randy's house, but didn't get a chance to see him in person.

Bob Fuller is still around and going at 80 years old. So is Michael Norell, aka Captain Hank Stanley and Ron Pinkard aka Doctor Mike Morton.

Here is Bob

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.