SS200SM Configurator

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
I have a very nice SS2000SM siren that has apparanetly been locked out of programming mode. FS tech support is not able to help, although very knowledgeable and nice.

Does anyone have the circa 2003 Smartsiren Configurator software, or offer programming services on these units?

Thanks much. Just looking to assign some buttons, restore Hi-Low etc.

Last edited:

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
I've never heard of software for the original SmartSiren. Did you try unlocking it using the PTT button while entering configuration?

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
Yes, but I cant get it to go into programming mode. As I read it, I should start it up, give it a second to boot up, then pull the cable out. Push "STBY" and plug it back in. Buttons 9-1-11-12 should light up. They never do :(

I found the software manual online, but the software isn't available

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
Software is copyright 2003 and runs on Win 98, ME, NT, 2K and XP. Requires some kind of serial adapter. Looks a lot easier than the keyboard method!

Attachments

• ss2000.jpg
    ss2000.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 26

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
I ran a ss2000 touchscreen in my Acura TL once upon a time. Worked well!

I have the software however I’m not sure about copyrights and sharing it as it was purchased. I have since sold the adapter/interface adapter.

Does anyone know about the protocol or if there was anything special about the db9 to dual telephone connector interface? Maybe it’s about time to reverse engineer it like the Whelen Transporter.

Admins: What are thoughts regarding this software? SS2000 has be discontinued for some time. Is it ok to share?

Thanks,
Seth

thatoneiowan

May 23, 2016
Central Iowa

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Wow, this is getting complicated. it would take about 30 seconds to unlock it via the PTT and reset to factory defaults. :rolleyes:

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
I tried the PTT sequence but it didn't seems to work. Maybe factory locked out - not sure. Federal told me that they don't have parts to repair nor do they have the software either for sale or for their use in repair. Just too old. Still working through this, with wonderful help from ELB friends, but considering an HHS4206 to upgrade to current technology. Thank you all for your help.

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
Eventually was able to get pa mic ptt sequence to work. Thank you everyone.

With two 100W speakers wired to the “high power” wire, does it put out 200W and if so, how does the siren know what speaker configuration is attached, I.e., two 11 ohm 58W speakers vs two 11 ohm 100W speakers?

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Good to hear that worked ot.

Yes, the SS2000 will drive two speakers for a total of 200 W. The siren doesn't "know" anything about the connected speakers, it just puts out voltage.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Just Remember, Do Not have someone hold both wires while testing the siren or you'll create a whole New Siren Tone!!

Are you referring to my patented Shriekometer testing technique? Seriously, the siren output is about 33 VAC. While not recommended for anyone with a pacemaker or other implanted device, that's fairly mild. Now, bear in mind, I hardly feel 120 VAC anymore, so maybe I'm not the best reference.

• Haha
Reactions: Nolines

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
You could be experiencing destructive interference if the speakers are wired out of phase relative to one another. To test this, disconnect one speaker's wires from the siren and reconnect its wires to the siren in the opposite way. Leave the other speaker's wires as they are.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Hmm, that makes sense. So how do I confirm 200W output. It seems quieter that it should. Learning a lot, thank you

200W vs 100W is a 3 decibel difference, which is noticeable but not dramatic. Don't expect it to sound twice as loud, because that would require 10x the power.

Last edited:

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Better bet is to only hook up one 100 watt speaker and hook up the second speaker to a second siren for dual tone capabilities...

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
The way I understand it, a doubling in loudness requires a 10 decibel increase. Adding a second speaker, thereby doubling the power from 100 watts to 200 watts, represents only a 3 decibel difference.

Adding 3 speakers, for a total of 400 watts, would double the power twice, representing a 6 decibel difference. If this is incorrect, please let me know where I went wrong as I'm still learning.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
The way I understand it, a doubling in loudness requires a 10 decibel increase. Adding a second speaker, thereby doubling the power from 100 watts to 200 watts, represents only a 3 decibel difference.

Adding 3 speakers, for a total of 400 watts, would double the power twice, representing a 6 decibel difference. If this is incorrect, please let me know where I went wrong as I'm still learning.

You’re completely right. I typoed above, now corrected.

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
Thank you all for this new knowledge and understanding. I previously ran a Carson SA-41? Dual tone siren. It required a separate speaker lead and second fuse implying a whole separate amplifier board. It was stupid loud . It did not, however have light controls and I didn’t have room in my console for anything else, so I swapped it out with the Smartsiren. I love the look and the switching capabilities but the siren is noticeably quieter, despite the same two TS100 old school speakers (I like the traditional cone/bell design rather than compact when feasible).

I tried Shues suggestion reversing polarity on one speaker but no difference.

I’m thinking the Smartsiren is 100w (33VAC) with an additional 3 dB difference with the second speaker. The Carson was probably running two 100w amplifiers, each of which produced 33VAC resulting in twice the total output.

Am I on the right track? Thanks again.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
I’m thinking the Smartsiren is 100w (33VAC) with an additional 3 dB difference with the second speaker. The Carson was probably running two 100w amplifiers, each of which produced 33VAC resulting in twice the total output.

Am I on the right track? Thanks again.

It's 200W total either way. However, the dual tones will produce a subjectively more noticeable signal.

Of course, it's always possible the SS2000 isn't producing full output. Check it with a meter to be sure.

Astro_Man

Nov 27, 2023
Canada
I ran a ss2000 touchscreen in my Acura TL once upon a time. Worked well!

I have the software however I’m not sure about copyrights and sharing it as it was purchased. I have since sold the adapter/interface adapter.

Does anyone know about the protocol or if there was anything special about the db9 to dual telephone connector interface? Maybe it’s about time to reverse engineer it like the Whelen Transporter.

Admins: What are thoughts regarding this software? SS2000 has be discontinued for some time. Is it ok to share?

Thanks,
Seth
Can anyone provide a link for this software. I can't find it anywhere. Thanks.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.