SSP3000 Smart Siren upgrades, Aug 2015

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Reactions: EVPP.COM / STLJN

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
I just got word that my '16 Utility was ordered from Ford.  Not sure when it will go to the installer as I am not sure how long it will take for it to be shipped from Ford.

Gave my Sergeant a list to get three quotes for equipment, for a Z3, SmartSiren, and CenCom.  I hope that they go with the SmartSiren.  If they do it will be installed way before these new ones come out, but I am willing to buy one and switch out the brains. 

Will it be a whole new processor?  Or just a firmware upgrade that can maybe just be updated from the computer? 

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
Are you sure Ford commenced it's 2016 model year production already?
Ford has started producing the 2016 model Utility. We have a department that order their 2016 in the middle of June. They were told it would be here sometime in September but we heard yesterday they should have it by the end of the month.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
I asked the question about the upgrading as well, since we just put an SSP3000B in our brand new 2015 Tahoe PPV demo vehicle.

If you have the "B" version of the siren, then you can do a firmware upgrade.  You have to have the Programming module from Federal (Part # ROCPR2,  US List = $200), and you have to flash both the head and the amp.  I assume you'll need new programming software as well.

If you have an older SSP that's an "A" version, you have to have some hardware changed, which probably makes it not worth while.  I didn't get into the details about that, as I just wanted to upgrade the "B" version that we have in our Tahoe, and the ones we have in stock.

I have a programmer on order so in a few weeks I'll do the upgrade to my Tahoe's siren and will try to remember to post the results. 

Note that the older programmer will not work.  You need the ROCPR2 programmer, which is the standard programmer that FS uses on almost all their stuff now.

Last edited by a moderator:

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
Good to know.  Thank you.  I really hope they give me a SmartSiren but I can bet it will be a Code-3 RLS or a Z3.  Ill buy the controller in a heartbeat if I get a SmartSiren.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I asked the question about the upgrading as well, since we just put an SSP3000B in our brand new 2015 Tahoe PPV demo vehicle.

If you have the "B" version of the siren, then you can do a firmware upgrade. You have to have the Programming module from Federal (Part # ROCPR2, US List = $200), and you have to flash both the head and the amp. I assume you'll need new programming software as well.

If you have an older SSP that's an "A" version, you have to have some hardware changed, which probably makes it not worth while. I didn't get into the details about that, as I just wanted to upgrade the "B" version that we have in our Tahoe, and the ones we have in stock.

I have a programmer on order so in a few weeks I'll do the upgrade to my Tahoe's siren and will try to remember to post the results.

Note that the older programmer will not work. You need the ROCPR2 programmer, which is the standard programmer that FS uses on almost all their stuff now.
When're you posting a vid of the new demo Tahoe?

Quentin

May 21, 2010
Lancaster, Nebraska
I've been waiting and praying and today I look and found this.

If I am reading this right. They are adding, so 10 tones now.

Also got my SSP3000 lined up to be sold.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the SSP3000b and the SSP2000b?

Also will the new model work with the original valor

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
I've been waiting and praying and today I look and found this.

If I am reading this right. They are adding, so 10 tones now.

Also got my SSP3000 lined up to be sold.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the SSP3000b and the SSP2000b?

Also will the new model work with the original valor
You read it right. All of the original tones, plus the Unitrol tones, including sweep. The addition of hands free mode is a big plus for us.

The differences in the 2000 and 3000 are just outputs and wattage. The 3000 has 14 relays whereas the 2000 only has 11 (1- 10 Amp +/-. 6- 10 Amp +, and 4- 2 Amp +). The 2000 doesn't have a wired Signalmaster output and is only 100 watt. Finally, there are no LED indicators on the fuses.

Yes, it will control your Valor through the Converence network.

Now, if they'd hurry and get new version software online...

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
Awesome thanks for the reply. My dealer said there is only $100 different so I'll grab another 3000
You might want to double check that. We just priced them and there was about a $400 difference. There is however only about a $50 difference between the 2000 and the 2000-200.

Quentin

May 21, 2010
Lancaster, Nebraska
Okay I'll call tomorrow and double check.

When I got my original SSP3000 it was $750.

Today he quoted me.

$800 for the SSP2000b

$900 for the SSP3000b

If there adding tone like this. Maybe they will add a eQ to it some day.

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee

Today he quoted me.

$800 for the SSP2000b

$900 for the SSP3000b

Well, I guess you're right. I took a percentage off the list price and that's pretty close. I'd definately go with the 3000 then just for the LED diagnostics.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada

Today he quoted me.

$800 for the SSP2000b

$900 for the SSP3000b

$900 for the SSP3000 is a very good price.  I wouldn't sell it anywhere near that low.

$800 for the SSP2000 is a more realistic margin.

Quentin

May 21, 2010
Lancaster, Nebraska
Here is the new convergence software. http://fedsig.com/resources/software

While this page contains the bootloader that will update the control head, the amplifier will still require the ROC programmer to update the firmware.
You beat me to it.

Does this mean they are ahead of schedule? and they can be flashed now?

playing with the programmer.

Horn Ring:

Sweep: you can change seconds? maybe how long it sits on each tone?

Also maybe sweeps all tones programmed.

Intersection: seconds can also be changed. how long the 2nd tone last? 

looks like Button 1 can no longer be a tone.

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
I to wonder if it sweeps all tones, or just the Unitrol tones assigned... The timer is how long it rest on each tone.

Yes, intersection just advances to the next tone like tap ll and then reverts back after the time expires.

Last edited:

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
I'll admit, I'm pretty excited about it, but I do have 15 cars in the upfit process that I don't want to have to pull back in to update.

Quentin

May 21, 2010
Lancaster, Nebraska
You and me both. I've been asking for this since the siren came out. Now I just need to switch from a 44" Valor to the 51" Valor.

On the newer B models. Does the Signal master indicator show the non-certified patterns now?
Also on the Signal Master tab. Does the Low or Fast not work for Rear Lightbar?

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
You and me both. I've been asking for this since the siren came out. Now I just need to switch from a 44" Valor to the 51" Valor.

On the newer B models. Does the Signal master indicator show the non-certified patterns now?

Also on the Signal Master tab. Does the Low or Fast not work for Rear Lightbar?
It looks like the Low and Fast will work, but you have to choose it for another button.  Then choose the SM type, then you can check Low or Fast as well as any other pattern. 

IE....Activating Button 14 will put the bar in dim or what ever button you have set to dim, but will not effect the SM.  You can choose Rear External, or any of the other types of bars, and make it go Low, under Button 14 programming, using the SM Tab.

I am seeing that you can select Low or Fast, but you have to choose the SM Type first, then it will make the boxes clickable.  I guess the only way to have it work is to have separate buttons like the old SS2000SM.

I wish there was a way buttons can be set to "step" just like the LRCO and WARN.  And the Buttons on the handheld version. 

As far as displaying the non-SAE, not sure.  I don't have a system to actually see on the keypad.

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
I just tested this and the keypad does not emulate the non SAE patterns, only 1-4. It does emulate fast and low power though.

Jason is correct, you have to select rear signalmaster and then check fast or low power under a button. On the previous version convergence software, the low power button did not work. It caused one LED to come on steady in the Signalmaster section of the bar. They have corrected that in the latest version. It should be noted that the dim button does not dim the Signalmaster section of the bar, nor does low power, it just causes the leds to light 1 or 2 at a time instead of building. It's still pretty intense at night stepping, but not as bad.

Reactions: tsquale

Quentin

May 21, 2010
Lancaster, Nebraska
I just tested this and the keypad does not emulate the non SAE patterns, only 1-4. It does emulate fast and low power though.

Jason is correct, you have to select rear signalmaster and then check fast or low power under a button. On the previous version convergence software, the low power button did not work. It caused one LED to come on steady in the Signalmaster section of the bar. They have corrected that in the latest version. It should be noted that the dim button does not dim the Signalmaster section of the bar, nor does low power, it just causes the leds to light 1 or 2 at a time instead of building. It's still pretty intense at night stepping, but not as bad.
Thank you for the info. On my SSP the low did not work at all on the valor. I was reading the help .pdf and it was saying low only works on external signal master.

Where you able to update? If so could you make a video demonstration how the tones sound and the horn ring new settings?

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
It didn't work on ours either, but I suspect it's because of that same error in the Convergence software. There are two settings for low power on the 3000, one under "rear lightbar" which is the networked controlled bar, and then one under "external discrete".

I haven't been able to yet. Our local On Duty Depot has a programmer, but I haven't gotten my hands on the firmware yet. -_-

Quentin

May 21, 2010
Lancaster, Nebraska
It didn't work on ours either, but I suspect it's because of that same error in the Convergence software. There are two settings for low power on the 3000, one under "rear lightbar" which is the networked controlled bar, and then one under "external discrete".
OK so how I read it, that even with the new software and model updates it still does not work?

Quentin

May 21, 2010
Lancaster, Nebraska
Awesome something else to look forward to.

Other problems I've ran into.

When siren turns on there is a single pop nose that comes from the speaker.

When I turn the slide switch to off, some times half the lightbar stays on with a dim steady burn. To fix the bug, I turn the slide switch back on then back off. Maybe a lightbar bug?

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
Ok, so I have the firmware in my possession. I updated the control head via the bootloader, but do not have my hands on a ROCPR2 yet to flash the amp. 😑

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Now if only They will add 2 wire arrow function, Output pause based on an input, Relay control with the park detect input, step switches, and Relay control on Signal master, i would be super happy....

We are a Fed Sig shop, and I have been begging for these features, but I think I need more people begging them for these features to get them in..

When they released this update I though for sure they would add 2 wire arrow function, BUT, no, just more siren tones that honestly I couldn't give a rip about. If they are going to update the ssp, I wish they would give me these features that are pretty standard on other controllers. THEN you can give me more siren tones.

I actually have a special firmware from fed to give me 2 wire arrow, and it works great. I just don't understand why they don't make it a check mark in the software.

As far as Q siren, I am guessing they leave that out to keep sales on their E-q2b Up...

Don't get me wrong, I love the SSP, and I make it work for us, but sometimes, I just want to shut off an opticom with park detect and instead of using the park detect input I have to chew up an amp  Input, and then use output 9 or 10 because they can be set to "LOW". If they left all 10 relays able to set to "low" that would work for my pause function, BUT on the series B, setting relays 1-8 to low does nothing. I know I can use external relays, But i don't want to.

SO DEAR FED SIG, at minimum, add 2 wire arrow, and assign it to output 13 and 14. plus add "pause" function on all relays (ie: input 4, relay 5 pause) should revert back to what it was doing when input is released.  Should be a simple software update....

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
Now if only They will add 2 wire arrow function, Output pause based on an input, Relay control with the park detect input, step switches, and Relay control on Signal master, i would be super happy....

We are a Fed Sig shop, and I have been begging for these features, but I think I need more people begging them for these features to get them in..

When they released this update I though for sure they would add 2 wire arrow function, BUT, no, just more siren tones that honestly I couldn't give a rip about. If they are going to update the ssp, I wish they would give me these features that are pretty standard on other controllers. THEN you can give me more siren tones.

I actually have a special firmware from fed to give me 2 wire arrow, and it works great. I just don't understand why they don't make it a check mark in the software.

As far as Q siren, I am guessing they leave that out to keep sales on their E-q2b Up...

Don't get me wrong, I love the SSP, and I make it work for us, but sometimes, I just want to shut off an opticom with park detect and instead of using the park detect input I have to chew up an amp Input, and then use output 9 or 10 because they can be set to "LOW". If they left all 10 relays able to set to "low" that would work for my pause function, BUT on the series B, setting relays 1-8 to low does nothing. I know I can use external relays, But i don't want to.

SO DEAR FED SIG, at minimum, add 2 wire arrow, and assign it to output 13 and 14. plus add "pause" function on all relays (ie: input 4, relay 5 pause) should revert back to what it was doing when input is released. Should be a simple software update....
Honestly, I can't see 2 wire arrow being a huge request, as most people using an SSP are more than likely using a Federal Signalmaster or lightbar. But, I do know that it would be easy to do with a relay tab on the Signalmaster button. We have used some older SS2000s on Feniex two wire arrows and yes it would have been useful. Now, for pausing a relay or changing lightbar patterns based on park, absolutely! We would very much like to kill our wig wags and change to a slow flash in park, but i'm forced to keep the lightbar on slow flash in all 3 modes, and kill our wig wags with external devices. The control head inputs that allow for the slide switch to be activated had made us think that we could use those, but they only step the slide switch up and not down for "safety". I actually use the priority siren button to activate an intersection pattern on the lightbar. It worked flawlessly in series A, but in testing our series B, it causes the lightbar to shut off for 4 seconds when placing the car in park. To overcome this, I had to use a control head input for park kill.

I think with some more features like we mentioned above, they could level the playing field with Cantrol and Blueprint.

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Honestly, I can't see 2 wire arrow being a huge request, as most people using an SSP are more than likely using a Federal Signalmaster or lightbar. But, I do know that it would be easy to do with a relay tab on the Signalmaster button. We have used some older SS2000s on Feniex two wire arrows and yes it would have been useful. Now, for pausing a relay or changing lightbar patterns based on park, absolutely! We would very much like to kill our wig wags and change to a slow flash in park, but i'm forced to keep the lightbar on slow flash in all 3 modes, and kill our wig wags with external devices. The control head inputs that allow for the slide switch to be activated had made us think that we could use those, but they only step the slide switch up and not down for "safety". I actually use the priority siren button to activate an intersection pattern on the lightbar. It worked flawlessly in series A, but in testing our series B, it causes the lightbar to shut off for 4 seconds when placing the car in park. To overcome this, I had to use a control head input for park kill.

I think with some more features like we mentioned above, they could level the playing field with Cantrol and Blueprint.
I would be surprised if more people did not want a 2 wire arrow function. We are consistantly contracting to put on a lightbar and a rear window stick. We use the cn signalmaster, and I like the light, but sometimes it is just to big and bulky for where we need it (and sometimes it is what will push us over on price in winning a vehicle bid). The latitide arrow does not do flash functions, so you cant use it as an arrow and a flashing light, so I never use those.

Then then next issue, what happens when you are upgrading a car? For instance we have done a few vehicles that were going from an soundoff interior light package, to a full marked partrol. We use an integrity lightbar, and put in an SSP for control of it and all the other existing lights. Without 2 wire arrow, I can't make the old rear lightstick function... (allthough like I said, they did give me a program to do it so it will work). Heck, how about a convergence network device that would "mimick" a cn signalmaster, plug into the network, and then output 2 wire arrow and a "flash mode" function. So you would assign the software to control a rear cn signalmaster, put in this network device, and just mount it near the 2 wire arrow. signalmaster button would work the 2  left, right wires, hazard button would turn on flash mode, and you could assign the hazard mode on slide 1,2,3.

Lastly, I really like using the feniex cobra sticks in rear windows. They are bright, they are compact. If federal were to come out with one similar based on the micropulse series, i would absolutely use it but I would sure hope they would control it with 2 wires, and not use the signalmaster outputs on the ssp. But I thought they would have figured that out with the Latitude arrow too....

I would like to see them add more inputs as well. I use all 8, and could really use more. AN expansion output bank that is more than 4 relays would be nice as well, say 10? with each output being able to be paused, flashed, steady on...

Also, as a tip in case you don't know. Put your Wigwags on output 9 or 10. Use one of the amp inputs for park detect (we will call it input 1). in programming, assign input 1 to relay 9, steady on, active LOW, open off. This will work as a park pause so you don't need external relays to shut off the wig wags. If outputs 1-8 were still able to do "Active low" on the series b, you could "pause" any of them.  we use output 9 for "clear warn" and output 10 for mirror beams. We get requests to shut off mirror beams either in park, OR when the specified door is opening.

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
Ok, I upgraded a unit today. Not much to say... :)   The Unitrol tones are all there, as are the new horn ring modes. Sweep does indeed scan through whatever tones are programmed into the siren buttons when the horn ring is tapped and stops scanning on another tap.

The only thing I will use is the hands free mode on the horn ring and manual coast down.

It would be nice if sweep could be activated from a button. I have an intersection pattern on the priority tone button and it would be beneficial to keep the hands free mode on the horn ring but start the sweep once the priority tone is reached. Oh well..

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Also, as a tip in case you don't know. Put your Wigwags on output 9 or 10. Use one of the amp inputs for park detect (we will call it input 1). in programming, assign input 1 to relay 9, steady on, active LOW, open off. This will work as a park pause so you don't need external relays to shut off the wig wags. If outputs 1-8 were still able to do "Active low" on the series b, you could "pause" any of them.  we use output 9 for "clear warn" and output 10 for mirror beams. We get requests to shut off mirror beams either in park, OR when the specified door is opening.
If you are working on a SSP2000, I believe it only works with output 10.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.