Star SVP ULB9E

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Does anyone know about the relatively new Star ULB9E? Looks great for truck rear windows, and the price is right at the one dealer I found listing it.

My only concern is that the product bulletin describes it as having "mid power" LEDs, and the rated current draw is less than the ULB9S (which has fewer LEDs). Is the ULB9E a stripped-down "economy" product, like the Whelen TIR8 dash light?

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
It is an economy light but works great for rear and side windows. I have a demo here and I really like it for that use. It is not as bright is the ulb9s but works better for tint since there is no angle to the leds

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Does anyone know about the relatively new Star ULB9E? Looks great for truck rear windows, and the price is right at the one dealer I found listing it.

My only concern is that the product bulletin describes it as having "mid power" LEDs, and the rated current draw is less than the ULB9S (which has fewer LEDs). Is the ULB9E a stripped-down "economy" product, like the Whelen TIR8 dash light?
What application is it being used for (i.e. Courtesy dash light, rear deck light, side window, etc)?? If using for front windshield, I would go with a linear optic.

I'm not a huge fan of the mini phantom series b/c they're small (with a small footprint) and I don't find them particularly bright. If you throw out a budget #, a lot of us here will be glad to throw some alternative recommendations your way.

Frooom

Dec 6, 2012
NH
Just installed two of these (the 9E which is hardwire and syncable, the other is not) in my 4runner. These are excellent, come with a lot of mounting accessories for the price, and throw a lot of light. The ratcheting mount is a neat idea for getting a nice tight fit to a window. In my case, I used the flashshield and shield mounts, since it allowed me to finally get something mounted (the 4runner has an impossible, almost HMMWV-like windshield angle). These have an impressive punch, and off-axis is actually decent.

Reactions: MtnMan

Frooom

Dec 6, 2012
NH
Couldn't help myself:

They are in split mode instead of single mode (where they would flash as one solid light). They have a lot of punch and off axis for what they are. This is right up tight to the headliner in a 2014 4runner limited. Couldn't use the ratcheting mount system that's really cool, but I was able to use the flashshield and fixed mount combo. It also comes with suction cups, so 3 different mounting options.

Jasper425

Nov 9, 2019
WA
I’ll add my 2 cents... I have several Star dash lights and the 9E doesn’t have a heat sink. The other variants have the LED’s mounted to a heat sink. Also, the E has different optics. It pretty hard to tell the difference in brightness with the other ULB9’s, but the E is ever so slightly less bright. Still, it’s an excellent light

Frooom

Dec 6, 2012
NH
I ended up swapping one for red/white, and putting one red/red in the back. Still move traffic very well, given the tiny size. :)

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Star is one of the most underrated companies on the market. I wish I could sell more of it. People just want the flashier names... but star has been solid for years.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Give them a more prominent showing on your website and make them accidentally show when people click a link to something star does as well....

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Give them a more prominent showing on your website and make them accidentally show when people click a link to something star does as well....
the site is configured to show what is being looked at the most on the front pages to help with conversions.

Ultimately I have to move what moves.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Star is one of the most underrated companies on the market. I wish I could sell more of it. People just want the flashier names... but star has been solid for years.

This may stir things up, but I’d say that if Star had better marketing and distribution, there would be no reason for Feniex to exist.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
This may stir things up, but I’d say that if Star had better marketing and distribution, there would be no reason for Feniex to exist.
I won't disagree. Star has done a lot of what Feniex and other companies has done at much better pricing than FedSig, Code 3, and whelen. They just don't have the marketing chops.

Reactions: MtnMan

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.