Star vs. SOS

RoaddoggAK

May 24, 2010
Erie, PA
Hello all,

I have a dilemma. We've gone ahead and ordered a new Chief's Tahoe, and I've been in charge of putting the warning package together. It's going to be a slicktop for take home use. My initial thoughts were to do an all Feniex setup, but 2 of my larger installers either don't carry it or didn't like installing it.

Both then came up with some combination of a Star and SOS setup. My impressions of SOS are solid, but I have no experience with anything Star. What are your thoughts on one or the other, both, or buy Feniex and have somebody else install?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Bvfa23

Oct 14, 2013
Depew, New York
My experience with Star is not good, I would put them at the bottom, SOS is alright but I would go with Feniex Whelen or Fedsig or a combo of all 3 before using star or sos.

Reactions: Doyle257

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
I agree with Bvfa23. I am a Feniex and Star dealer but the only Star product I have sold was a hand held siren unit because, at the time Feniex did not offer one and, it was a direct replacement of one that had failed. I am only a dealer with Star in case I ever need beacons because Feniex will never build beacons. Plus I feel the quality is not as high as Feniex and the prices are a lot higher then Feniex. I could just never justify using a Star product over Feniex.

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
the only decent products star has put out in the last 15 years are the Sabre, and the Mini-Phantom.
SOS's newer roof mounts are OK

Neither punches the tint like you'll need to do a full interior setup on a Tahoe.

Feniex and Whelen modules will blow through the tint like it's not even there.

Reactions: Bvfa23

EVT

May 24, 2010
Midwest
I am a master Whelen and SOS dealer, as well as an installer.

SOS over Whelen anyday. Both have the same Phillips LEDs and warranty. SOS gets more features for less price.

I have more Whelen failures than SOS.

Star is junk, we dropped them years ago.

Reactions: Station 3

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.