State laws on warning lights?

hoisy71

Sep 10, 2011
Baltimore, MD
Hey guys quick question

I'm taking a trip down to florida in a couple of weeks and im gonna be driving down from NH. Are there any state laws about having exposed lights and covering them up or anything like that? Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
if you have BLUE lights exposed, (which you probably don't, as your driving from NH), I'm sure the VA State Police won't be too happy. The same goes for a radar detector.

rsmartin

Aug 17, 2011
Stamford NY
dcarrfire45 said:
blue in mass. is a def no. they are strict about it. simple painters tape over the lenses works.

Agreed, the Springfield MA area cops can be a right pain in the ass about it.

hoisy71

Sep 10, 2011
Baltimore, MD
hoisy71 said:
Hey guys quick question

I'm taking a trip down to florida in a couple of weeks and im gonna be driving down from NH. Are there any state laws about having exposed lights and covering them up or anything like that? Thanks in advance

Sorry i forgot to mention. Its all red/clear/amber LED's with clear lenses on everything

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
If you have all clear lenses, then no color is showing and you shouldnt have any problem. No one is going to stop you and ask what color your lightbar is. And even if they did, if its just red/clear/amber, that shouldnt be a problem. Everyone on the east coast south of Jersey uses blue or red and blue for law enforcement. It would be assumed you are associated with fire or EMS...

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Storm4200 said:
if you have BLUE lights exposed, (which you probably don't, as your driving from NH), I'm sure the VA State Police won't be too happy.

Actually you are wrong... I've driven through VA numerous times with my full BLUE edge on the roof of my Avalanche and have had ZERO problems... Also, I regularly drive to NC with my truck and the cops there have no problems either... As long as your vehicle is legal as defined by your own states lighting laws, they really can't do much do you...

To the OP, since your set-up is all clear lensed, you would have ANY problems...

Travelin Man

Jul 9, 2010
Central Virginia
TritonBoulder47 said:
As long as your vehicle is legal as defined by your own states lighting laws, they really can't do much do you...

I respectfully disagree. You must obey the laws of the state that you're in, even if your lights are legal in the state in which the vehicle is registered. For example, I can't put 44" tires and 12" of lift on my truck and drive it to a state that has severe limitations on suspension modifications and not expect to get a ticket just because it's legal in my home state (hypothetically speaking).

Virginia Code 46.2-1022 is pretty clear on who can have blue lights in Virginia, and this applies to both vehicles registered here and outside the Commonwealth as well. Remember that Virginia is a Dillon Rule state, whereas you're only legally permitted to do what the Code tells you that you can. Home Rule states allow you to do whatever you want unless it's specifically prohibited. (This has been your extremely over-simplified legal lesson for the day).

All that being said, with clear lenses, you'll likely be fine passing through our fine Commonwealth.

50theman

Feb 1, 2011
Virginia
I agree with Travelin Man, I would not stop someone with clear lenses. Yes I give courtesy to out of state Fire and EMS on there lights, but not every Officer or Trooper does.

I'll give you some friendly advise. If I were you, I would remove the fuse in the lights while you are traveling, so they are inoperable.

So now your saying, but what If I come up on a accident or something and need the coverage of light so I don't get hit. Well I still would not use them, especially in Virginia. I have charged several people with blues in there car for impersonating a Police Officer and the charges stuck, because Law Enforcement is the only ones allowed to have a blue light in the Commonwealth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cam

May 20, 2010
MO
Travelin Man said:
Remember that Virginia is a Dillon Rule state, whereas you're only legally permitted to do what the Code tells you that you can. Home Rule states allow you to do whatever you want unless it's specifically prohibited. (This has been your extremely over-simplified legal lesson for the day).

The Dillon rule and Home rule are legal principles that apply to municipal corporation and their legislative authority or lack there of. I've never heard either used in the context of a state that allows only what is specifically provided for by state law.

Travelin Man

Jul 9, 2010
Central Virginia
Cam said:
The Dillon rule and Home rule are legal principles that apply to municipal corporation and their legislative authority or lack there of. I've never heard either used in the context of a state that allows only what is specifically provided for by state law.

You're correct that the Dillon rule is/was enacted for each locality within the state or Commonwealth to have permission to establish and enforce certain laws, ordinances, and matters of incorporation. However, reading the codes of the Commonwealth of Virginia, it's clear that even at the state level, the codes are written in a manner that gives specific permissions, not specific exceptions.

waldalm

Mar 27, 2011
US, North AL
Alabama wise you should be fine if you happen thru. Blue is LEO only here and red is restricted front facing. Clear is technically illegal rear facing but so many HAW kits break that rule it's crazy. That being said, what kind of vehicle is it on? Sounds silly I know, but LEO's and especially the state trooper's here are alot more apt to stop a retired CVPI with a lightbar than say a F-150. I know a VFF that had a amber and green edge strobe bar on a vic and finally took it off and went to interior lights because of constant stops and questions. Yet my company has Liberty's on our trucks and nobody says a word.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
So I guess everytime that I've driven in and through VA I've only run into all the "nice" cops...? Highly doubtful... I've even been at gas stations where a LEO (State Trooper and local LEO) have pulled up next to me and NOTHING was said... Same goes for when I go to NC... I guess I'm just the "lucky" one...

hoisy71

Sep 10, 2011
Baltimore, MD
waldalm said:
Alabama wise you should be fine if you happen thru. Blue is LEO only here and red is restricted front facing. Clear is technically illegal rear facing but so many HAW kits break that rule it's crazy. That being said, what kind of vehicle is it on? Sounds silly I know, but LEO's and especially the state trooper's here are alot more apt to stop a retired CVPI with a lightbar than say a F-150. I know a VFF that had a amber and green edge strobe bar on a vic and finally took it off and went to interior lights because of constant stops and questions. Yet my company has Liberty's on our trucks and nobody says a word.

I have an 07 charger. There is no light bar just a dash light, grill lights both in front and behind it, mirror beams, rear has a D8 stick in the window, and liscence plate lights. All are red/clear/amber and all have clear lens's. It also has a spot light and the blacked out rims. Possibly the push bumper depending on the weather but i'll most likely keep it off

hoisy71

Sep 10, 2011
Baltimore, MD
TritonBoulder47 said:
Nice car bro... Do the install yourself...?

Yes i did. There are some pictures of my other install i had with the push bumper in the Install thread under 2007 Dodge Charger Police Package POV

waldalm

Mar 27, 2011
US, North AL
Sharp car! I don't think anybody will hassle you lol Pulling the fuses, at least to the front, should be all you'd need to do to be safe. When you have a legimate reason for having them in your home state, MOST other states will be understanding and extend a courtesy to you if you're not in compliance locally from my experiences. And by disabling the system, it shows you're trying to be respectful of the local laws. Funny note on that one too. One time I had a GA deputy ask me to hook mine back up so he could see them on. Not that he had a problem with the lights or was skeptical of the colors, he just wanted to see the whole truck lit up lol

hoisy71

Sep 10, 2011
Baltimore, MD
waldalm said:
Sharp car! I don't think anybody will hassle you lol Pulling the fuses, at least to the front, should be all you'd need to do to be safe. When you have a legimate reason for having them in your home state, MOST other states will be understanding and extend a courtesy to you if you're not in compliance locally from my experiences. And by disabling the system, it shows you're trying to be respectful of the local laws. Funny note on that one too. One time I had a GA deputy ask me to hook mine back up so he could see them on. Not that he had a problem with the lights or was skeptical of the colors, he just wanted to see the whole truck lit up lol

thats pretty awesome! never had that happen! LOL

Travelin Man

Jul 9, 2010
Central Virginia
TritonBoulder47 said:
I guess I'm just the "lucky" one...

It would appear so. I guess the words of those of us that live here, and are either currently or previously involved in law enforcement, are bunk?

Hopefully the OP won't have any problems as he passes through, but it wouldn't be fair not to clarify the law to him.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Travelin Man said:
It would appear so. I guess the words of those of us that live here, and are either currently or previously involved in law enforcement, are bunk?

No, I'm merely stating my own personal experiences, that span almost the past 10 years with 2 different vehicles both with the same full size BLUE 9622 Edge...

Jan 4, 2012
Central, Florida
As long as you are not being a dumb ... about the lights and don't use them in a manner that will get attention, you will be fine. Does your home state make you have a identification card that states your allowed to have lights in/on your vehicle? i know NJ has a card you get from DMV and here in FL you just get a card from your station chief officer.

good luck and have fun in FL you will fit in here with that car a-lot of unmarked FHP troopers have them same color.

i had a guy from NY stop by my station with a Chevy pick-up and had a full interior light bar all blue and he had no problems.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
Pj rode all over the US with his Avalanche and he did a nice writeup about each state. even cali with his full LED bar it was not an issue. they will probally think your just a whelen demo car. no issues passing thru CT with that

hoisy71

Sep 10, 2011
Baltimore, MD
5309 said:
As long as you are not being a dumb ... about the lights and don't use them in a manner that will get attention, you will be fine. Does your home state make you have a identification card that states your allowed to have lights in/on your vehicle? i know NJ has a card you get from DMV and here in FL you just get a card from your station chief officer.

good luck and have fun in FL you will fit in here with that car a-lot of unmarked FHP troopers have them same color.

i had a guy from NY stop by my station with a Chevy pick-up and had a full interior light bar all blue and he had no problems.

Thanks :) and yeah technically we are supposed to have a letter/card from the chief but many just say your all set so i'll definatly talk to the chief before the trip

mredd007

Mar 1, 2012
Iowa
Travelin Man said:
I respectfully disagree. You must obey the laws of the state that you're in, even if your lights are legal in the state in which the vehicle is registered. For example, I can't put 44" tires and 12" of lift on my truck and drive it to a state that has severe limitations on suspension modifications and not expect to get a ticket just because it's legal in my home state (hypothetically speaking).

Virginia Code 46.2-1022 is pretty clear on who can have blue lights in Virginia, and this applies to both vehicles registered here and outside the Commonwealth as well. Remember that Virginia is a Dillon Rule state, whereas you're only legally permitted to do what the Code tells you that you can. Home Rule states allow you to do whatever you want unless it's specifically prohibited. (This has been your extremely over-simplified legal lesson for the day).

All that being said, with clear lenses, you'll likely be fine passing through our fine Commonwealth.

I know im a few days late but you sir are wrong there is a law that states that if something is legal in your state and illegal in another they cannot ticket you for that all states have different lighting laws which is part of the reason the law was enacted as long as he doesnt use them he cannot get in trouble its like someone coming to my state which requires two license plates and your car only has one but your from out of state they cannot give you ticket for that

50theman

Feb 1, 2011
Virginia
mredd007 said:
I know im a few days late but you sir are wrong there is a law that states that if something is legal in your state and illegal in another they cannot ticket you for that all states have different lighting laws which is part of the reason the law was enacted as long as he doesnt use them he cannot get in trouble its like someone coming to my state which requires two license plates and your car only has one but your from out of state they cannot give you ticket for that

Quote me that law or better yet give me a link to it. I have never heard of a law covering you on colored lights from another state. :eyebrowhuh:

waldalm

Mar 27, 2011
US, North AL
50theman said:
Quote me that law or better yet give me a link to it. I have never heard of a law covering you on colored lights from another state. :eyebrowhuh:

Agree I haven't heard of a "law" that covers one from liabilty. However, mutual respect usually plays a key role. And lights can be likened to the Ron White "drunk in public" scenerio. If you're not using the lights, a LEO can't stop you, order you to activate your lights and then issue you a violation for improper lights. You have to be in violation to be cited. No blinkies going, no tickets.

Back to, regardless to JD or state, it's not illegal to possess lights. It's illegal to use them without proper authority, improperly or without permits.

"One morning the husband returns after several hours of fishing and decides to take a nap. Although not familiar with the lake, the wife decides to take the boat out. She motors out a short distance, anchors, and reads her book.

Along comes a Game Warden in his boat. He pulls up alongside the woman and says, “Good morning Ma’am. What are you doing?”

“Reading a book,” she replies, thinking, “Isn’t that obvious?”)

“Well, you’re in a Restricted Fishing Area,” he informs her.

“I’m sorry officer, but I’m not fishing. I’m reading.”

“Yes, but you have all the equipment. For all I know you could start at any moment. I’ll have to take you in and write you up.”

“For reading a book?” she replies.

“Ma’am, you’re in a Restricted Fishing Area,” he informs her again.

“I’m really sorry officer, but I’m not fishing. I’m reading.”

“Yes, yes, I know, but the way I look at it, you have all the equipment. For all I know you could start fishing at any moment. So, I’ll have to take you in and write you up Ma’am.”

“Well, if you do that, I’ll charge you with sexual assault!” says the woman.

“But, I haven’t even touched you,” says the Game Warden.

“That’s true, but you have all the equipment. For all I know you could start at any moment.”

“Have a nice day Ma’am,” and he left."

mredd007

Mar 1, 2012
Iowa
50theman said:

ill try and look for it i remember learning it in school so ill talk to my old govt teacher about it but it doesnt specifically cover lighting but seeing as how some allow blue and others allow red or whatever it makes sense another example is lights on a trailer im towing where in my state iowa it says you must have so many amber and red marker lights another state may say you need more or less they cant legally give you a ticket because thats what is legal in your state again ill look for it i wont make any promises of finding it but if my memory serves me correctly it would be a federal law

50theman

Feb 1, 2011
Virginia
waldalm said:
Agree I haven't heard of a "law" that covers one from liabilty. However, mutual respect usually plays a key role. And lights can be likened to the Ron White "drunk in public" scenerio. If you're not using the lights, a LEO can't stop you, order you to activate your lights and then issue you a violation for improper lights. You have to be in violation to be cited. No blinkies going, no tickets.

Back to, regardless to JD or state, it's not illegal to possess lights. It's illegal to use them without proper authority, improperly or without permits.

"One morning the husband returns after several hours of fishing and decides to take a nap. Although not familiar with the lake, the wife decides to take the boat out. She motors out a short distance, anchors, and reads her book.

Along comes a Game Warden in his boat. He pulls up alongside the woman and says, “Good morning Ma’am. What are you doing?”

“Reading a book,” she replies, thinking, “Isn’t that obvious?”)

“Well, you’re in a Restricted Fishing Area,” he informs her.

“I’m sorry officer, but I’m not fishing. I’m reading.”

“Yes, but you have all the equipment. For all I know you could start at any moment. I’ll have to take you in and write you up.”

“For reading a book?” she replies.

“Ma’am, you’re in a Restricted Fishing Area,” he informs her again.

“I’m really sorry officer, but I’m not fishing. I’m reading.”

“Yes, yes, I know, but the way I look at it, you have all the equipment. For all I know you could start fishing at any moment. So, I’ll have to take you in and write you up Ma’am.”

“Well, if you do that, I’ll charge you with sexual assault!” says the woman.

“But, I haven’t even touched you,” says the Game Warden.

“That’s true, but you have all the equipment. For all I know you could start at any moment.”

“Have a nice day Ma’am,” and he left."

I agree on the courtesy of letting a Emergency Responder have a light or lights on there car from another state, but that's me, not the law. Virginia code does not say they have to be turned on, it says equipped. That allows a Law Enforcement Officer if he wants to, to write you a ticket just for having them equipped on your vehicle.

46.2-1022. Flashing blue, red and blue, blue and white, or red, white and blue warning lights.

Certain Department of Military Affairs vehicles and certain Virginia National Guard vehicles designated by the Adjutant General, when used in state active duty to perform particular law-enforcement functions, Department of Corrections vehicles designated by the Director of the Department of Corrections, and law-enforcement vehicles may be equipped with flashing, blinking, or alternating blue, blue and red, blue and white, or red, white, and blue combination warning lights of types approved by the Superintendent. Such warning lights may be of types constructed within turn signal housings or motorcycle headlight housings, subject to approval by the Superintendent.

On your story, that's nice. But lets say someone borrows your car and it has your drugs in it. I guess I cant charge the person borrowing your car with possession of drugs. Come on now????

Travelin Man

Jul 9, 2010
Central Virginia
Guys, 50theman beat me to the replies in this thread. He's exactly right that the Code section in Virginia states "equipped," and whether the lights are on or not has nothing to do with it. There's case law in Virginia courts that has ruled in favor of the Commonwealth when vehicles (both registered in Virginia and not) are equipped with blue lights and were not in use.

And mrredd, be careful confusing items that are required by a state (such as the licenses plates you used as an example), and those things that are permitted by a state (such as colored warning lights). They're two completely different topics.

waldalm

Mar 27, 2011
US, North AL
50theman said:
I agree on the courtesy of letting a Emergency Responder have a light or lights on there car from another state, but that's me, not the law. Virginia code does not say they have to be turned on, it says equipped. That allows a Law Enforcement Officer if he wants to, to write you a ticket just for having them equipped on your vehicle.

46.2-1022. Flashing blue, red and blue, blue and white, or red, white and blue warning lights.

Certain Department of Military Affairs vehicles and certain Virginia National Guard vehicles designated by the Adjutant General, when used in state active duty to perform particular law-enforcement functions, Department of Corrections vehicles designated by the Director of the Department of Corrections, and law-enforcement vehicles may be equipped with flashing, blinking, or alternating blue, blue and red, blue and white, or red, white, and blue combination warning lights of types approved by the Superintendent. Such warning lights may be of types constructed within turn signal housings or motorcycle headlight housings, subject to approval by the Superintendent.

On your story, that's nice. But lets say someone borrows your car and it has your drugs in it. I guess I cant charge the person borrowing your car with possession of drugs. Come on now????

Like I said, I'd never heard of a law protecting one. In the drugs to fishing poles, that's stretching it...

1: Drugs are illegal to possess period, fishing poles aren't. (And before somebody says something, we all know the drugs we're talking about)

2: It said "restricted fishing area", not "fishing poles restricted"

Here's just an example though of how Alabama states what is allowed. Doesn't pertain to lights, but it goes in key with the state to state equipment laws.

As a note, window tint is something that Alabama is pretty strict on for residents. Guess every state has to have something lol

Window tint exceptions:

Section 32-5C-3

Exceptions.

The provisions of Section 32-5C-2 shall not apply to any of the following:

(1) Adjustable sun visors which are mounted forward of the side windows and are not attached to the glass.

(2) Signs, stickers, or other matter which is displayed in a seven-inch square in the lower corner of the front or rear windshield.

(3) Direction, destination, or termination signs upon a passenger common carrier motor vehicle if the signs do not interfere with the driver's clear view of approaching traffic.

(4) Any transparent item which is not red or amber in color which is placed on the uppermost six inches of the windshield.

(5) Any federal, state, or local sticker or certificate which is required by law to be placed on any windshield or window.

(6) Any other vehicle, the windows or windshields of which have been tinted or darkened before factory delivery or permitted by federal law or regulation.

(7) Any motor vehicle not registered in this state.

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
In the state of Maryland, only fire or law enforcement can use red to the front. "Foreign" vehicles entering the state may display unlit lamps of any color, so long as those lamps are legally allowed on your vehicle in the state that it is registered. That being said, I can't keep track of the state light laws for the other 49 states and DC. According to Maryland law, I can pull you over and issue you a citation for illegally displaying a prohibited light since it is specifically prohibited.

If you were to receive a citation, you would have to bring documentation to court proving that your vehicle is registered in whatever state and that the state allows you to have those lights in your vehicle. Its a pain in the neck for everyone involved. I usually give people the benefit of the doubt unless they are acting like an idiot.

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
mredd007 said:
but you sir are wrong there is a law that states that if something is legal in your state and illegal in another they cannot ticket you for that

Think so? Try coming thru Virginia with a radar dectector. Just because its legal in your state doesnt mean its legal to use here. :weird:

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
waldalm said:
Back to, regardless to JD or state, it's not illegal to possess lights. It's illegal to use them without proper authority, improperly or without permits.QUOTE]

In Virginia, iits not illegal to possess them, but illegal to have them on your car if your not authorized. You cant just mount a colored light on your car just because you want to, whether you use it or not.

Here is the code:

46.2-1020. Other permissible lights.

Any motor vehicle may be equipped with fog lights, not more than two of which can be illuminated at any time, one or two auxiliary driving lights if so equipped by the manufacturer, two daytime running lights, two side lights of not more than six candlepower, an interior light or lights of not more than 15 candlepower each, and signal lights.

The provision of this section limiting interior lights to no more than 15 candlepower shall not apply to (i) alternating, blinking, or flashing colored emergency lights mounted inside law-enforcement motor vehicles which may otherwise legally be equipped with such colored emergency lights, or (ii) flashing shielded red or red and white lights, authorized under § 46.2-1024, mounted inside vehicles owned or used by (a) members of volunteer fire companies or volunteer rescue squads, ( B) professional fire fighters, or © police chaplains. A vehicle equipped with lighting devices as authorized in this section shall be operated by a police chaplain only if he has successfully completed a course of training in the safe operation of a motor vehicle under emergency conditions and a certificate attesting to such successful completion, signed by the course instructor, is carried at all times in the vehicle when operated by the police chaplain to whom the certificate applies.

Unless such lighting device is both covered and unlit, no motor vehicle which is equipped with any lighting device other than lights required or permitted in this article, required or approved by the Superintendent, or required by the federal Department of Transportation shall be operated on any highway in the Commonwealth. Nothing in this section shall permit any vehicle, not otherwise authorized, to be equipped with colored emergency lights, whether blinking or steady-burning.

mredd007

Mar 1, 2012
Iowa
twodogs603 said:
Think so? Try coming thru Virginia with a radar dectector. Just because its legal in your state doesnt mean its legal to use here. :weird:

thats because a radar detector isnt permanently mounted like some light bars and can easily be removed you would leave a magnant mount on anyway while your traveling so its apples and oranges

Travelin Man

Jul 9, 2010
Central Virginia
mredd007 said:
thats because a radar detector isnt permanently mounted like some light bars and can easily be removed you would leave a magnant mount on anyway while your traveling so its apples and oranges

You're completely missing the point. There's no part of the code section that calls out "permanently mounted," "magnetically mounted," "or easily removable." It's not apples and oranges, it's required equipment versus aftermarket equipment.

Did you miss the two very clearly written copies of the Virginia code that were already posted?

I can appreciate that you took a high school government class and believe that you have an understanding of law, but please take a moment and listen to those that have real-world experience with this stuff. We're trying to educate, not humiliate.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CHUCK4850

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.