Steady burn red led dash light

Alex75050

Oct 27, 2011
DFW Texas
Greetings all. For years I used a steady burn red light to the front. Either a spotlight bulb or, a red sealed beam mounted to the headliner. I decided to jump into the Led world and picked up a Whelen Competitor single red led dash light a few years ago.

It works well, but, after about a minute on, it seems to dim quite a bit. No big deal, it was cheap and is still fairly effective.

I'm looking for a replacement. Windshield mount with hood. Single red led. Steady burn option. Plug in or hard wired. But, prefer plug in. But, I want the best "throw" I can get. I don't care about side warning at all. I want the "red laser beam hitting the rear view mirror" of cars in front of me. As close as I can get to the old sealed beam. (Realizing that's not very realistic, but as focused as possible).

Thanks for everyone's input and experience.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
A Star/SVP DLX6 dashlight would be effective for that. The reflector design has little off axis spread so most of the light is focused forward. A Whelen Spitfire Ion would work well also. 

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
The problem with those lights is that they have very small heatsinks.

I have a DLX3 and DLX4 and those lights dim down considerably when set to steady burn. The DLX6 has a larger heatsink, but I imagine it too would dim down.

It's the same issue with the spitfire. Whelen uses a steady burn mode that dims after a few seconds.

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
I'd refer to what the California Highway Patrol has used over the years for guidance. Two of the three LED modules they've used are still available today. For a number of years, CHP used the Cuda TriOptic vertical-oriented modules, which is no longer manufactured by Federal Signal.

They've also used LED X modules from Code 3, which are still in production. Currently, CHP is using Whelen LIN6 modules in custom Raider iterations (T1 and T2, respectively). CHP slicktops consist entirely of LIN6 modules, and their custom Liberty bars consist predominately of LIN6 modules.

For your purpose, I'm thinking a steady-burn version of the LED X module from Code 3 will work the best for your application.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
The problem with those lights is that they have very small heatsinks.

I have a DLX3 and DLX4 and those lights dim down considerably when set to steady burn. The DLX6 has a larger heatsink, but I imagine it too would dim down.

It's the same issue with the spitfire. Whelen uses a steady burn mode that dims after a few seconds.
Thanks for adding this, I was not aware of that. 

Alex75050

Oct 27, 2011
DFW Texas
I appreciate all the input. The reasons I was heading away from the halogen sealed beam were weight and power draw. With the halogen, I had to mount it to the headliner. I like the flexibility of the led unit with suction cups.

I will tinker with some of your suggestions. Thank you.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
There are (were) plenty of lighter halogen lights out there. DashMaster, DashMiser, Code 3 DeckBlaster, and other versions etc. All of those did a nice job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc M

May 21, 2010
Georgia
Sorry I'm late to the party! For a LED Steady Red I would use a Tomar T LED. It is a bigger light but works very well in the bright sun light and you can get hard wire or plug in. I had one and love it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.