Steady burn vs flash pattern

DMCGONAGIL

Feb 5, 2012
WI
I'm curious, I want to tie some led's into my hazard lights for extra visibility to the rear on scenes for traffic accidents (can only run emergency lights to the station, but am able to respond to scenes in my pov as needed...). If I set up the led's to a flash pattern and tie them in with my hazards, will it screw up the led's? Best I could think of is it would greatly increase their used time due to constantly being turned on and off while set to a pattern

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
Most of the big name manufacturers rate their LEDs for thousands of hours of use before they are expected to wear out, so having them tied into your hazards won't "burn them out" any sooner. Personally, I'd dedicate a separate switch for the LEDs, and have them set to a slow alternating pattern. Alternatively, set them to "steady-burn" and have them flash at the same time as your hazards if that's the route you choose to take to activate them.

Rear warning shouldn't be all flashy-spastic-strobey-crazy, because that's what disorients the idiots driving by while you're on the side of the roadway trying to not be struck. Large blobs of slowly alternating warning are best.

Reactions: bmd224

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
^^ If it were me I would do this.
Set them to steady and tie them into your hazards. Given your circumstances about lighting this is probably your best route to go.

DMCGONAGIL

Feb 5, 2012
WI
They are going on a 2009 Nissan Pathfinder. I have amber directional/hazard to the rear so they won't be tied into the break light circut. The thought was to set them to a Signal Alert style pattern to get a slow "extra" flash the same time the hazards were flashing (that is if I set it to something different than steady burn). I'm probably going to play with the LED flash patterns anyway just to feed my own curiosity!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.