Stephenson - Siren

TGUMP

Nov 12, 2022
Hernando, FL
I need any information concerning a Stephenson Model DM4 siren. In particular, a schematics or a copy of one would be much appreciated.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
It's a Smith and Wesson rebrand. Cat's Eye also rebranded it. I'm not even sure if S&W was the original maker.

@tsquale is the seller of the cats eye and a collector of many sirens, so he may know1666312379950ccv.jpeg
swsiren.jpg

Last edited:

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I think it is unlikely that S&W actually made them. S&W products other than firearms were made by other manufacturers and labeled as "Smith & Wesson".

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I think it is unlikely that S&W actually made them. S&W products other than firearms were made by other manufacturers and labeled as "Smith & Wesson".
That was my thinking, although they did have some products that I never saw a "bigger name" attached to. Their lightbars and a few sirens are examples, but I would agree they probably weren't actually making them themselves. I don't doubt that someone else made a lot of their stuff, I just don't see who that is in the cases of a few products. Lik in this specific case S&W seems to be the largest company to use this design. The design was obviously rebranded as cats eye which is the smaller company. In the case of Whelen we know some of their sirens were made by SVP/Carson or whoever was making their sirens. I would be curious to see who actually made S&W stuff, even if it was an electronics company vs. an existing warning company. IMHO in this case the answer is that this is at the lowest (or highest) level a S&W siren, even though they didn't really build their own stuff.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I have the Smith & Wesson Magnum IV. It is exactly the same. The Magnum series sirens from that production period (c. 1972-1975?) sound like the Federal Director and Interceptor sirens of the late 1960s (with deep slow rising wail and yelp tones).

I also have a Magnum IVB. It's a later version (likely early 1980s) with small pushbuttons. It sounds closer to a Carson/Whelen/Southern VP siren from the early 1980s.

Someone told me that Carson made sirens for Smith & Wesson, but I don't know if they made the entire Magnum series or just the earlier or later versions.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I have the Smith & Wesson Magnum IV. It is exactly the same. The Magnum series sirens from that production period (c. 1972-1975?) sound like the Federal Director and Interceptor sirens of the late 1960s (with deep slow rising wail and yelp tones).

I also have a Magnum IVB. It's a later version (likely early 1980s) with small pushbuttons. It sounds closer to a Carson/Whelen/Southern VP siren from the early 1980s.

Someone told me that Carson made sirens for Smith & Wesson, but I don't know if they made the entire Magnum series or just the earlier or later versions.
I was hoping you would chime in. I think the bottom level of reseller here is s&w brand-wise... They would have been the main brand that sold sirens that looked like this.

But I agree that when there is any doubt, an older siren is generally manufactured by Carson if you have any thought that the company didn't actually make it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.