Sticker Shock!

Clarence H

May 20, 2010
USA Twin Cities Minnesota
Today I shipped a twinsonic dome, by UPS, packed securely, so no damage would happen, the box was

18 X 33 X 15, and weighed 7 pounds.

Because of UPS's new dimensional weight rules, the package cost $41.98 to ship!

I'll be more careful when I offer prepaid shipping next time.

Clarence

101_5247.JPG

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I just made a shipping label online for a USPS Large flat-rate box with $100 insurance...  $18.40!!!!  :crazy:   :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
just fitty

Reactions: STOP

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Hell it cost me a little over what they charged you to send out the Strobehawk to Tony.

And that was 54Lbs and under their 108" for length and girth. And if I had sent it out priority which I didn't it would have been $63.66 Not only that but I sent him another that had the feet, the 2 blue domes and controller in it. Weighed 14.4 oz and it went out priority and only cost $18.78 and you know that box had to be big enough for all of that.

You might better get this and use it. I do www.stamps.com and get the Pro for 15.99 a month.

Reactions: tsquale

wmreader

Aug 3, 2012
ETex
I just made a shipping label online for a USPS Large flat-rate box with $100 insurance...  $18.40!!!!  :crazy:   :eek:
This is like comparing apples to oranges. USPS will ship anything that fits in one of their 3 various sizes of flat rate boxes, but a Twinsonic dome will not fit into their largest box. Judging from the pic he posted, Clarence shipped it in a regular box that was large enough to accomodate the extra bubble wrap needed to protect it better during transit. He also used UPS, which is usually much higher than other shippers, but even their cost of $42 is much too excessive.

I am in the process of getting a pair of 7 panel Aerodynic domes shipped to me, and after seeing this post, I am not looking forward to seeing what their cost will be.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
As what was mentioned previously I avoid UPS like the plague... unless its my ONLY option...  (shipping from BumbleF*** AZ anyone!!)

I use USPS almost exclusively,,,  and my only real complaint is International Shipping charges!!    I feel sorry for our friends across the Atlantic.. expect to pay $$!!

I just recently sent a Code3 SD Dome to BC and it ran me $30+  sent out internationally via USPS priority mail.   This dome has the same dimensions of the Twinsonic...

Rob

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
... USPS will ship anything that fits in one of their 3 various sizes of flat rate boxes, but a Twinsonic dome will not fit into their largest box. ...
I'm thinking of wrapping a bar in flat-rate boxes I've disassembled and stuck back together with tape. :lightbulb:

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I know jazz is being well jazz, but I used a method similar to ship an aerodynic from AZ to PA. Stacked a bunch of boxes together to form a larger box. Looked like an inchworm gone bad... But it worked..

Clarence H

May 20, 2010
USA Twin Cities Minnesota
I tried shipping a whelen edge once with 3 boxes taped together, FedEx would not take it unless it was 1 box which they would sell to me. I shipped it UPS, and it got there no problems, and it cost less to ship it than the twinsonic dome.

Clarence

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
I'm thinking of wrapping a bar in flat-rate boxes I've disassembled and stuck back together with tape. :lightbulb:
Been there done that :thumbsup:

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I've also used a cardboard stretcher on some boxes that were just a smidgeon too small.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
A sticker that shocks? Sounds like the next JDI innovation.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Our lightbars already do.  Ba dump.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.