Stowe Fire Department - Photo Heavy

07GD SFD

May 21, 2010
VT
Here are some shots of our apparatus in front of our old building before it was torn down. Our new station is completed and we moved in a couple of weekends ago. I'll try to get shots of the station and post them.

You'll notice some rigs are yellow and some are red. We're slowing changing to the red.

Engine 1:

This is our first due apparatus for most every call.

astowefire.org_wp_content_gallery_e1_e1front.jpg

Engine 2:

This engine is 4WD with a reel of 3000' (or 2500', something like that) of 4".

astowefire.org_wp_content_gallery_e2_e2front.jpg

Engine 3:

Another 4WD engine, our mini attack pumper. This thing has put out a lot of fire in its career.

astowefire.org_wp_content_gallery_e3_e3front.jpg

Tower 1:

astowefire.org_wp_content_gallery_tower_tower1front.jpg

Rescue 1:

Another 4WD apparatus.

astowefire.org_wp_content_gallery_r1_16r1front.jpg

Tanker 1:

After some body work we decided to have it painted red. It was our first due tanker, but has since been replaced with a brand new one. This one is now second due.

astowefire.org_wp_content_gallery_t1_tanker1front.jpg

Tanker 2:

This has since been retired and sold...our old gas rig. I don't have any pics of the new tanker yet.

astowefire.org_wp_content_gallery_t2_t2front.jpg

Utility 1:

This rig is typically outfitted for brush fires.

astowefire.org_wp_content_gallery_u1_u1front.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

07GD SFD

May 21, 2010
VT
We were fortunate enough to receive a new public safety facility April of last year. Here are some shots of our apparatus in our new facility.

The facility itself houses all of our town's emergency services under one roof; fire, rescue, police, mountain rescue and emergency management.

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_3_20_11031.jpg

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_3_20_11032.jpg

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_3_20_11007.jpg

Our communications room:

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_3_20_11008.jpg

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_3_20_11009.jpg

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_3_20_11010.jpg

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_3_20_11011.jpg

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_3_20_11012.jpg

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_3_20_11013.jpg

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_3_20_11014.jpg

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_3_20_11016.jpg

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_3_20_11015.jpg

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_3_20_11018.jpg

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_3_20_11017.jpg

Our fully restored 1929 American LaFrance:

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_3_20_11021.jpg

I've recently started to drive the ambulances for our rescue squad:

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_3_20_11023.jpg

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_3_20_11022.jpg

Our ALS rig:

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_3_20_11019.jpg

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_3_20_11020.jpg

View from the mezzanine:

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_3_20_11024.jpg

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_3_20_11025.jpg

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_3_20_11026.jpg

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_3_20_11027.jpg

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_3_20_11028.jpg

Gear area:

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_3_20_11029.jpg

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_3_20_11030.jpg

May 22, 2010
Central WV
That is an awesome station. It is huge, but you guys seem to have it full. Interesting arrangement of the apparatus though.

Someone likes mini Edges lol. What's on the rescue and what happened to the Edge on the pickup?

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
You are one lucky guy to be in such a nice fire station i wish ours was like that. NICE

07GD SFD

May 21, 2010
VT
Lightbarnut said:
Wow! Love all the big pics and different angles. That place looks huge! Good planning on someones part.

Thanks. I believe the building is around 27,000 square feet. We're very fortunate to have such a facility and we're very proud of it.

Bonanno said:
Wow... that place is HUGE! good layout by the looks of it to.

Thanks. There was a lot of planning involved!

kd0giz said:
You guys really like having 4WD on every vehicle.

Not every apparatus has it- 2 engines, 1 rescue, and our utility truck. Engine 2 is due to be replaced but I'm not sure if the new one will be 4WD.

aberfitchguy2472 said:
That is an awesome station. It is huge, but you guys seem to have it full. Interesting arrangement of the apparatus though.

Someone likes mini Edges lol. What's on the rescue and what happened to the Edge on the pickup?

You should have seen it before! Bumper to bumper everywhere you looked.

Honestly I'm not entirely sure of the exact model on the Rescue. The Edge on the utility was pretty old and burnt out. It made more sense to replace it than to revive it. I think it had been on a police cruiser for years prior to our use of it.

Station 3 said:
You are one lucky guy to be in such a nice fire station i wish ours was like that. NICE

We're all very lucky!

Lt. Dino

May 24, 2010
Georgetown, USA
zacmtz7 said:
what's the purpose of the air lines connected to the trucks? keep tanks full? never seen that b4.
Yup. Some new trucks are coming with small compressors that are powered by the shore line in order to keep the tanks full.

I'm surprised you guys don't have an active exhaust removal system such as PlymoVent, Nederman, Magna Grip, etc, but rather have the AIRVAC systems hanging from the ceiling. Just my preference to have an active system attached to a truck.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
zacmtz7 said:
what's the purpose of the air lines connected to the trucks? keep tanks full? never seen that b4.
Never seen that before? I thought that was fairly common...

Nice station, looks great, but no exhaust system for the trucks? Also, why are some yellow/green and others red? Is there some kind of story behind that or just how they came. :thumbsup:

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
There are a couple companies in my area that have the lime green paint on older rigs but switching to red for newer vehicles. The story is that the older rigs were bought with federal/grant money and were required to use the green paint for anything bought with that money. Allegedly that's why many airport fire trucks are green, as well. The color is also supposedly safer and easier to see than the typical red.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
How do the mini-Edge lightbars work for you as primary warning? You mention that Engine 2 is on its way out, but the pickup is a lot newer and it's still got the same light... any plans to upgrade?

(I actually think all it needs is an extra dashlight...)

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
I love the gear area. Thats one thing at my station erritates me. We need those gear racks like that, but wall mount. Always seems like theres about 5 sets of gear just laying on the floor. Plus all the full timers gear.

07GD SFD

May 21, 2010
VT
zacmtz7 said:

Yep, keeps the tanks full while they sit.

Lt. Dino said:
I'm surprised you guys don't have an active exhaust removal system such as PlymoVent, Nederman, Magna Grip, etc, but rather have the AIRVAC systems hanging from the ceiling. Just my preference to have an active system attached to a truck.

We used to have a Plymovent system but got rid of it when we built the new station. All the boxes that hang from the ceiling are air scrubbers, and turn on automatically both when the doors open and when the rigs start up. They run for a fixed amount of time and then turn off. They can turn on as needed. Also, if the bay doors are left open for a while, and the scrubbers have timed out, there are sensors in the doorways of the bay that will activate when a truck pulls in/out. There's also a big vent in the center of the bay in the ceiling that automatically opens when a certain level of gases is detected. That vent can also be opened manually.

We wanted to get rid of the clutter of the Plymovent system we used to have.

theroofable said:
Never seen that before? I thought that was fairly common...
Nice station, looks great, but no exhaust system for the trucks? Also, why are some yellow/green and others red? Is there some kind of story behind that or just how they came. :thumbsup:

Again, the boxes hanging from the ceiling of the apparatus bay are the exhaust removal system.

Some of the trucks are yellow/green because that's how we spec'd them years back. But we're slowly making a transition back to red. We bought the Tower used and it came red. We repainted tanker 1 when some body work was done to it and we spec'd tanker 2 to be red.

nerdly_dood said:
How do the mini-Edge lightbars work for you as primary warning? You mention that Engine 2 is on its way out, but the pickup is a lot newer and it's still got the same light... any plans to upgrade?

(I actually think all it needs is an extra dashlight...)

They seem to work alright, we don't have too many issues with clearing traffic. The utility had its lightbar replaced a little over a year ago. I think it was just a lightbar we had around. Engine 2 and the utility don't run very often, so their warning lights appear adequate. Obviously future apparatus will have LEDs but I don't know of any plans to upgrade our current equipment. Unless something breaks, I'm sure we'll be keeping everything the same.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD said:
I love the gear area. Thats one thing at my station erritates me. We need those gear racks like that, but wall mount. Always seems like theres about 5 sets of gear just laying on the floor. Plus all the full timers gear.

The gear area is fantastic. Each locker also has a wall outlet above it, too. It's really easy to clean underneath them.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
07GD SFD said:
They seem to work alright, we don't have too many issues with clearing traffic. The utility had its lightbar replaced a little over a year ago. I think it was just a lightbar we had around. Engine 2 and the utility don't run very often, so their warning lights appear adequate. Obviously future apparatus will have LEDs but I don't know of any plans to upgrade our current equipment. Unless something breaks, I'm sure we'll be keeping everything the same.

...Now I look at pictures in an earlier post and the utility has a full-size lightbar. Silly me...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.