Strange code 3 XL

tsquale

Site Minion
Platinum Supporter
Having takedowns and rear flashers is unusual???

I am confused!
Looks like the amber driver side rear is a stinger (oscilates) and the "takedowns" appear to be positioned behind the color of the dome, not the clear area. Calspec perhaps?

Sparky_911

Gold Supporter
That is a weird layout for sure. The inner rotors almost look like select alert or maybe smart rotors. The PAR36 bulbs could be flashers or steady burn, and the rear amber stinger is super weird. Maybe they were emulating a twinsonic cts?

The center rotators do look like smart rotators or select alerts which when rotating would provide a front facing clear flash and when parked would operate as takedowns. The same thing could have been accomplished by making the front facing sealed beam operate as alternators or steady burn. The red half lens behind the driver side center rotator was probably to keep it from showing amber to the rear since it was so close to the amber cut out. The rear facing stinger certainly is a strange option. It all looks to me like someone spent a lot of extra cash for the "modern technology" of the time to accomplish the same thing a relay and cheap can flasher did for years.

Stampeed Valkyrie

Silver Supporter
interesting.. stingrays in the center, and a rear facing amber stinger.
Stingrays could rotator 360, sweep front, or sweep rear.

Either way interesting bar.. clean it up it deserves to be restored.

OP
OP
N

nlaser11

The inner rotators are select alert. They oscillate to the rear, they rotate 360, and they oscillate to the front real fast. They to not provide takedown, or at least i cant get them to. The rear facing amber stinger is on a wire all by itself. The par 36s are flashers only and also do not provide takedown.

Nolines

Silver Supporter
To me it looks like 3 set lights and the Amber moves, and I see it now those 3 are just flashers.

denko3

ok guys here is a thing......
if i see right it is CA special for me,so why?

it has options:
-outer basic rotators

-ofcours alleys... :)

-CA red and blue steady burn par36 on driver and pass. inner side

-center (on both sides) multifunction rotators ''stingrays'' they were used for front clear center oscilate to clear traffic or in this time flashing takedowns,rotate for 360'' and rear oscilate for front cut off signal when vehicle is stoping the traffic.......and have all front light off and are working just rear side...

-and on the end the rear amber stinger instead of basic rear flasher on driver side and on pass.basic rear flasher so effect is great pass.side rear flasher is flashing and on opisite side stinger gives you special rear meteor signal in amber so amber/blue california effect for rear view like CHP and sheriff
department is using still today.

MUST SAY VERY INTERESTING BAR YOU HAVE THERE! WHERE DID YOU FIND IT???? :) CAN YOU POST A VIDEO FROM ALL OPTIONS MAYBE VERY CURIOUS?

OP
OP
N

nlaser11

ok guys here is a thing......
if i see right it is CA special for me,so why?

it has options:
-outer basic rotators

-ofcours alleys... :)

-CA red and blue steady burn par36 on driver and pass. inner side

-center (on both sides) multifunction rotators ''stingrays'' they were used for front clear center oscilate to clear traffic or in this time flashing takedowns,rotate for 360'' and rear oscilate for front cut off signal when vehicle is stoping the traffic.......and have all front light off and are working just rear side...

-and on the end the rear amber stinger instead of basic rear flasher on driver side and on pass.basic rear flasher so effect is great pass.side rear flasher is flashing and on opisite side stinger gives you special rear meteor signal in amber so amber/blue california effect for rear view like CHP and sheriff
department is using still today.

MUST SAY VERY INTERESTING BAR YOU HAVE THERE! WHERE DID YOU FIND IT???? :) CAN YOU POST A VIDEO FROM ALL OPTIONS MAYBE VERY CURIOUS?

I fount it in a scrap yard in the sticks. Im really not sure about Cal spec...it is not wired for steady front red. I will try to upload a video if i can.

Last edited:

CrownVic97

Veteran Member
What about a North Dakota agency? Don’t they have a thing for a single rear amber light?
We have amber to the rear, but usually is two flashing amber lights with red and blue flashing or rotating lights alongside them. This XL design screams Cal-Spec to me. The red filter on the driver's side StingRay is to keep clear signal bleed out the rear clear cut-out to a minimum, I'm sure.

We must have a video of this unique XL bar after it's restored! Very cool score, Nlaser!

CD3

Veteran Member
Looking at this bar it is a California bar. Probably by looking at this set up I'd say southern CA. The "stinger" usually worked in this fashion and of course customers wants depending on wire(s) choice. Either position 1 Amber would crisscross and the par 36 opposite side would flash. The Stingrays also could be to the rear which was a slow sweep side to side. Usually in CA pos 2 was just stead steady burn red and blue. Some agencies started to us more warning lights in pos 2 in the 90's to get the attention of the driver. In pos. 3 the stingrays would go the the forward position and sweep side to side quickly then when the car went into park mode they would just rotate 360. I would be able to tell you more but I cant make out the flasher module model, we had 360RS (Rear Sweep), 360RD (Rear only or Front & Rear) most popular 360RDK (rear sweep, front & rear 360, and front steady burn, for takedown lights)

I'll check I may be able to find out the agency or agencies that ran these bars.

CrownVic97

Veteran Member
Just found an interesting video of another strange internals Code 3 XL in a Cal-Spec setup. Definitely safe to say Nlaser's is a Cal-Spec special order XL lightbar

redrdr67

Thought I remember seeing mostly steady burn front red on passenger side only if it were a light bar. At least in Southern California. Great finds none the less.

Crownfire

I have that exact same drivers side dome here in my barn. I have no idea how I came to have it (I’ve never owned a Force 4 bar) and I always wondered about the configuration. Now I know. If anyone wants to try to replicate this bar I’d be happy to turn loose of the dome. It’s doing me no good here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Unanswered questions
Members
Latest member
Tancook248
Top Bottom