Streethawk Rotators: Is there a "correct" way to orient them?

CatBacker88

Jun 13, 2013
Kansas
I hope someone here has the answer, I've a nagging OCD issue here. Is there a correct or best way to orient the motors on Streethawk rotators when installing them? I'm assembling an all-light Streethawk from nothing but parts. Everything is cleaned up and ready to go. I've worked on several before, but they have always been in one stage or another of distress when I got them, and as I look back on them, while all function properly, so maybe it doesn't matter, but bugs me that no two are exactly the same. I've never had a chance to see the innards of one that was as-assembled by the factory, so I just don't know what "right" looks like! I've Googled this to death and can't find anything that even mentions it. This one will have five rotators and intersection sweeps (thanks Pete L.!). Anyone?

Jun 18, 2013
PA
hmmm..
Never really gave this too much thought.. I always mounted them base on screw holes.. Which I think there are 3? Its been forever since I actually worked on one. I oriented them depending on where my power wires were coming from.. always putting the lead toward the wires. Maybe that is wrong? dunno.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
There isn't really a "right" way to put together a streethawk, simply because they have so many potential options. In your case, the sweeps are in the front corners, while the rotators are in a outer rear/inner forward orientation, like this: [ºs\F | > F < | F/sº] However, I've seen that Streethawks with four rotators and a speaker grill are usually the other way around, with the outer rotators towards the front. like this: [s/F | G | F\s]. It all depends on the options and the setup you're trying to go for.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
SPD in my area used to have their outers mounted back frame, inners mounted forward frame...4 rotor w/speaker housing.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Whoa ocillators??? I thought that was only mx 770s on the lower side, all the ones I had worked with were all rotators fast in slow outsides

CatBacker88

Jun 13, 2013
Kansas
Steve, I hope this helps. These are the only pics I saved from open Hawks.
The sweeps are behind the outer rotators in the full bar pic.

-Pete

View attachment 213182View attachment 213183
Pete, this is exactly what I was looking for! The forward or rearward of inside and outside was illustrated in the diagrams I found online, it's how the rotators are oriented I was trying to get "right" and I can see them clearly here. I'm pretty sure everything in this picture except the frame and bases came from you, by the way. I might finish it today.

Attachments

• IMG_2788.JPG
    IMG_2788.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

CatBacker88

Jun 13, 2013
Kansas
Whoa ocillators??? I thought that was only mx 770s on the lower side, all the ones I had worked with were all rotators fast in slow outsides

I don't know about all the Code 3 models, but with Federal I know Streethawks and Vistas could be fitted with sweeps. Probably others. There's a long thread on them someplace on this site.

CatBacker88

Jun 13, 2013
Kansas
Pete, this is exactly what I was looking for! The forward or rearward of inside and outside was illustrated in the diagrams I found online, it's how the rotators are oriented I was trying to get "right" and I can see them clearly here. I'm pretty sure everything in this picture except the frame and bases came from you, by the way. I might finish it today.

OK, everything is in place and it all works as intended. Just have to tidy up all the wires. Lots of zip ties. 17 halogen lamps in this thing. I have no idea why I enjoy this, but I do. And it's a hair under a hundred degrees today along with a lot of humidity.

Attachments

• IMG_2790.JPG
    IMG_2790.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 26

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
YOU ENJOY THIS BECAUSE IT'S A BEAUTIFUL LIGHTBAR.
The StreetHawk was the first multi-level lightbar on the market - - - back then.
I still see some of those around here on tow trucks (most of them from me ;))
It throws out lots of light but it draws lots of amps.

Reactions: denko3 and FCV96

CatBacker88

Jun 13, 2013
Kansas
YOU ENJOY THIS BECAUSE IT'S A BEAUTIFUL LIGHTBAR.
The StreetHawk was the first multi-level lightbar on the market - - - back then.
I still see some of those around here on tow trucks (most of them from me ;))
It throws out lots of light but it draws lots of amps.
That it does! There are exactly two still in service in Leavenworth. One is on a fire department pickup truck, the other on the Animal Control guy's van. Never seen them lit up. Anyway, got the wires all under control, mirrors polished and installed, reflectors and bulbs are all sparkly clean, all seven worm gears freshly greased and away we go.

marks

Oct 28, 2015
Stanislaus CA
I have an all light street hawk with dynaray intersection sweeps. When i bought it, the center pod didnt have a light in it. I tried looking on line to see what might go in the center pod. I have seen everything from another rotator to meterior traffic clearing lights, two meterior lights, and a sweeping light with a reflector the same size as the rotators. What were the factory options or could the center pod be customized?

CatBacker88

Jun 13, 2013
Kansas
I have an all light street hawk with dynaray intersection sweeps. When i bought it, the center pod didnt have a light in it. I tried looking on line to see what might go in the center pod. I have seen everything from another rotator to meterior traffic clearing lights, two meterior lights, and a sweeping light with a reflector the same size as the rotators. What were the factory options or could the center pod be customized?
I'm pretty sure your list is complete. The center pods allow for all those options, as does the wiring harness. The sweeping lights you mentioned are sure noisy though. I would think running two of them along with four rotators and a pair of Dynarays would be a lot of racket!

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Federal Signal would squeeze in anything that fit. I've even seen center sections with strobe beacons built in, straight from the factory.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
The forward or rearward of inside and outside was illustrated in the diagrams I found online,

The way you have it set up, with the inner rotators forward, is the usual configuration and gives the best coverage to the front corners. But here's a pic from a Federal Catalog showing that the opposite configuration was used as well.

fedsigcat 014.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.