StreetHawk to MX7000 switch - comparable mounting?

wfd67

May 25, 2010
San Francisco area, CA
With Pete L.'s help, we avoided something of a big misstep by trying to modify a StreetHawk into an all-light bar... since the darn thing is still mounting to a fire engine.

Since I've yet to see the underside of a StreetHawk and its mounts, does anyone have any insight or experience with how plausible it would be for us to use the StreetHawk mounting hardware, and unbolt the Hawk and use those same mounts to install a MX7000 (58") in its place?

The white shirts are rather passionate about something more than four rotators on the roof, but can't get the board to sign off on more than a "maintenance" expense, hence the half-baked approach... but if it's just not do-able, or ill-advised, there ends the latest line of "what if we do this...?" ideas from those same colorless shirts. Their view is if we can re-use the mounts, which are already factory-attached to the roof (no new holes), re-wire the harness from the Hawk to the 7000's comparable functions, and use the 3-4 unused wires for other bits (since the factory was awesome about putting large load relays on those wires, even the unused/spare leads).

(And yes, I was torn if this is a vintage light or a current light, since Hawk is probably vintage, MX7000 probably not, so erred on the side of the classic bar.)

Thanks!

May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
both frames and mounts for the mx7000 and streethawk are 2 different styles.

The streethawk uses 2 parts that slide, the mx frame is just one LONG piece with no sliding parts. The mounts are also different.

the mx uses 11 wires I think, the streethawk uses 10 I think..........dont have my mx and streethawk handy to be sure.

wfd67

May 25, 2010
San Francisco area, CA
I figured as much, but was encouraged to support the theory.

Back to shopping around for bits to complete the 58" bar, and selling Them on doing this project

. Thanks!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
You aren't upgrading by switching to an MX... they have similar light output

This is on an active emergency vehicle so it belongs in the light section not vintage.

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
MX7000 can produce more light than a streethawk, because of its two layer design. you can choose from strobe, multi speed rotators, and i think you can get LED now too(not sure though).

but with 5 rotators (3 fast, 2 slow), the front flashers, and the alley sweeps, the MX will hands down, beat the street hawk(and look less dated). and in my experience, the MX7000 can hook up to almost any other brackets with some minor modifications due to the sliding track mounts on the bottom. however, wiring might be difficult if you don't just "hot wire" it and make your own harness.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
hitechrednex said:
MX7000 can produce more light than a streethawk, because of its two layer design. you can choose from strobe, multi speed rotators, and i think you can get LED now too(not sure though).
but with 5 rotators (3 fast, 2 slow), the front flashers, and the alley sweeps, the MX will hands down, beat the street hawk(and look less dated). and in my experience, the MX7000 can hook up to almost any other brackets with some minor modifications due to the sliding track mounts on the bottom. however, wiring might be difficult if you don't just "hot wire" it and make your own harness.

The rotator design of a streethawk is better. 4 polished good condition streethawk rotators and 2 lower flashers is going to look very similar to amy MX you can mount on it's feet.

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
MX just looks less dated to me. street hawl always reminded me of euro lightbars too. lol. i would like the street hawk better if you could add a 5th middle rotator though. for a simple old school look with a modern twist though, you could always say neithert and get a LED jet sonic.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
hitechrednex said:
you could always say neithert and get a LED jet sonic.
i LOVE the JetSolaris. Get it with colored outer domes (meaning that you can't have anything inside except the same color LEDs) and it'll be about the awesomest thing out there. Clear domes and it'll still be (IMO) better than any other LED lightbar.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.