Streethawk with center 360 strobes- Factory or end-user?

mike2459

May 22, 2010
South Glens Falls,NY
LarryC said:
Am I correct in calling this a Streethawk? Someone said it is a Strobehawk?

The best thing to do is take the domes off and post pictures of the bar showing the insides. The strobehawk I have has outboard strobes and inboard rotators and strobes in the lower rear lights.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Looks customized. Somebody put them in there.

Also agree on the pics without the domes.

Take a shot from above with the domes off.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
chief1565 said:
Looks customized. Somebody put them in there.
Also agree on the pics without the domes.

Take a shot from above with the domes off.

I totally agree.. and was going to post similar...

The only chance of it being factory is if those are target tech strobes on factory brackets, a custom order. Unlikely. Again, close up pics. I have seen either this bar or the exact same modification before.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
JohnMarcson said:
I totally agree.. and was going to post similar...

The only chance of it being factory is if those are target tech strobes on factory brackets, a custom order. Unlikely. Again, close up pics. I have seen either this bar or the exact same modification before.

I think a member on here has one they modified with either 2 or 2 in the center.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
chief1565 said:
I think a member on here has one they modified with either 2 or 2 in the center.

I have one that I bought that had the exact same setup (as in identical) as the one for sale here and appeared to be unaltered and from the factory in my opinion. I was told that it was a home brew though from members here. The mounting and wiring is all too clean though to be a home brew, I think at least. I can't find spliced or altered wires anywhere, and the wiring harness is complete as well. The strobes are FS Target Tech Firebolt's.

I think they were ordered this way.

Here is a photo of mine for comparison. I have added the intersection sweeps and TDs along with moving the flashers inboard.

View attachment 58177

!cid_122.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
tsquale said:
I have one that I bought that had the exact same setup (as in identical) as the one for sale here and appeared to be unaltered and from the factory in my opinion. I was told that it was a home brew though from members here. The mounting and wiring is all too clean though to be a home brew, I think at least. I can't find spliced or altered wires anywhere, and the wiring harness is complete as well. The strobes are FS Target Tech Firebolt's.

Here is a photo of mine for comparison. I have added to intersection sweeps and TDs along with moving the flashers inboard.

View attachment 58177

Free bump for Larry!

I knew somebody had one like that. Thanks for showing it again it's still cool looking with the clear domes.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
tsquale said:

Here is a photo of mine for comparison. I have added to intersection sweeps and TDs along with moving the flashers inboard.

View attachment 58177

Free bump for Larry!

I now believe these to be a factory setup, or at least a factory aftermarket "upgrade". You could custom spec almost anything Federal or TargetTech made into their lightbars, and I now know three of these to exist in the exact same setup.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
JohnMarcson said:
I now believe these to be a factory setup, or at least a factory aftermarket "upgrade". You could custom spec almost anything Federal or TargetTech made into their lightbars, and I now know three of these to exist in the exact same setup.

I'm still not convinced. Anyone got literature on this?

ERIC6913 said:

I don't have any literature, but remember seeing this option in a Federal Signal catalog many years ago (back closer to when the Streethawks were new technology). It stands out in my mind because I remember thinking that it looked kind of cheesy with those little strobes in the center, almost as if an afterthought. I've never been a big fan of strobes, so it caught my attention.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
ERIC6913 said:

I am still waiting for literature on your bullseye streethawk...

http://elightbars.org/forums/f18/my-nos-federal-signal-streethawk-dallas-tx-police-special-32197/

You have some independent proof of who used them.. I know... but my point is that Federal's literature or lack of isn't a deal breaker.

My point is Federal, Code 3 and Whelen all have a history of putting any of their items that fit into their bars as custom orders, and not ever mentioning it in literature. If these are Federal / traget-tech strobes with professional unbroken mounts and wires it is more likely they are factory than not. What are the odds that anyone would use red and blue domed target tech strobes as an upgrade item? The number of matched pairs of target tech strobes in blue/red has got to be low. If there were only one of these bars and the strobes were whelen or tomar or something... it would be home-brew until proven otherwise.

Based on the following points

1- More than one exists in the exact same setup, tsqual's was identical until he pimped it out.

2- Unusual red/blue and ineffective federal strobes- ie unlikely choice for a user upgrade.

3- Professional mounts / harness

I think it is at least possible, if not probable these are factory. I agree we need a close up of this bar to determine more in this case. Tsquale, can you post some closeups of the mounts and wires?

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
I also bought one from a member here that had a pile of bars. It doesnt look home brew to me. I refurbished it and its Proudly Serving on a Tanker in my old station. If it wasnt an option, I would say atleast a Federal Signal Upgrade or Custom order. Everything is in order inside and was professionally done. Just a dept photo not a good shot of the lightbar. But not bad for an old Budweiser truck :)

http://www.cityofstmarys.net/departments/fire/apparatu

144.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Here is a quick snap of it. I don't have the time to tear it apart again. I did incorrectly call these Firebolts. They are Pulsator 451 Plus strobes. Still FS Target Tech.

The metal plate they sit on fits snug in the spot and is mounted to the base itself. It appears to have been professionally cut as all of the edges are smooth. The wiring is consistent with the rest of the bar.

IMAG0239.jpg

smitty711

May 23, 2010
California
I've seen two of these bars in way Northern California. Some little Fire District along the Oregon/Ca Border. One is on a Brush truck and the other was on a Utility P/U.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
i haven't seen too many custom lights or lightbars though that haven't been mentioned somewhere. I did not say i don't believe it 100% though John. I was just a little sceptical. Is the wiring from the same manufacturer? Are the wire terminals all Exactly the same type and manufacturer? Screws all the same type and manufacturer? Same size zip-ties used everywhere? IF they all are, then i might be more convinced thats all. Gotta see better pics.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
ERIC6913 said:
i haven't seen too many custom lights or lightbars though that haven't been mentioned somewhere. I did not say i don't believe it 100% though John. I was just a little sceptical. Is the wiring from the same manufacturer? Are the wire terminals all Exactly the same type and manufacturer? Screws all the same type and manufacturer? Same size zip-ties used everywhere? IF they all are, then i might be more convinced thats all. Gotta see better pics.

Geez you sure ask for a lot... If I get time after I get home from work in the morning I can try to get more specifics on it.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
tsquale said:
Geez you sure ask for a lot... If I get time after I get home from work in the morning I can try to get more specifics on it.

hey, i'm not saying you gotta do this. i was merely stating that is what it would take to identify if it was original or not. Oh, and i forgot, are the crimp marks on the terminals all the same?

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
If it was customized, then every single all-light Streethawk used by Prince William County PD in Virginia was custom-made... which means quite a lot of them; PWPD isn't huge, but it isn't small either. Take a look. From what I've seen of them, the strobes weren't particularly bright.

Judging by the particular configuration of this specimen, it's definitely from PW.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
nerdly_dood said:
If it was customized, then every single all-light Streethawk used by Prince William County PD in Virginia was custom-made... which means quite a lot of them; PWPD isn't huge, but it isn't small either. Take a look. From what I've seen of them, the strobes weren't particularly bright.

Judging by the particular configuration of this specimen, it's definitely from PW.

That is more than enough proof for me!

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
After reviewing the photos, especially those from Prince William County, VA, I'd say this must have been a factory option/upgrade. You learn something every day.

Liberty703

Dec 11, 2012
Maine
A few years back, I use to service a truck with an all-strobe Streekhawk. It's since been retired, and I don't know what happened to the bar. But I do remember the strobes were not super bright (compared to Whelen's offerings). They seemed to sit low in the bar like this one.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Shawn L said:
this reminds me about the hard time I had trying to convince ryan that they made a blue CTS dome......

And they did, in very limited quantities.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Thanks for the video! Most video cameras do a poor job of adequately capturing strobe flashes, it's just the nature of video cameras.

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!
Somehow I have the feeling that the strobes weren't so much intended for pursuit or operation while moving, but more for while the vehicle was stationary, like when pulling a traffic detail. The strobes will give off some warning, but wouldn't draw nearly as many amps as the 4 rotators going. Also, and anyone who has had a Streethawk on their roof can attest, I'm sure the strobes were a welcome silence over the sound of the rotators running while you would sit there for an hour or more. :)

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
nerdly_dood said:

attila19 said:
Here is mine, same setup, I bought it from a guy in Virginia state, who had a lot of these.

View attachment 58360

View attachment 58357

I knew I had seen a few of these before.

Aqua Teen eLightbars Force delivers again.

NoVAFed

Dec 28, 2011
Earth, USA, Northern VA
nerdly_dood said:

My belief is they are factory. As stated above, Prince William County, VA had them on all their cars until a few years ago. The Police Dept. had red/blue and the Fire Dept. had red/red on the Chief's and Paramedic Suburbans. That would be a fairly high number of vehicles for a home brew.

I always wondered why they paid any extra for them because they were very nearly useless in anything other than total darkness. Even then, or especially then the halogens completely over powered them. It always seemed to be a waste of money.

roaddawg7

Apr 7, 2013
Linden, VA
anyone have one in all red?

Also I used to have an old squad car when I was a rookie and had to reach out the window and smack the side to get it to keep rotating when it got stuck. I always used the flashers and not the rotators when sitting still.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.