Stripped Spotlights on Ford PI'S

May 25, 2010
Quincy, Illinois
As of last year I went to a small agency which used the Ford PI Sedan. The Unity factory spotlights on both cars (2014's) were stripped out and had already been replaced once. I also have the same problem on our 2015 Ford PI Utility which is a supervisors vehicle and not in the fleet. The Ford Crown Victoria PI's spotlight would last forever and I've never had a problem with any on the Dodge Charger Pursuit.

Is this a common problem on the Ford's and of Unity's?

UnityUSA

Nov 25, 2015
Chicago IL
Could you explain what you mean specifically by stripped out? What is the exact issue with the lights? Were they installed by Ford or later on by upfitter?

The gears are not brass. We had brass gears on older lights but those gears have not been in use for some time now. Also the light shouldn't freeze, it is sealed against water entering it with O-rings.

Reactions: tsquale
May 25, 2010
Quincy, Illinois
I apologize, I responded to this a couple days ago, but it must not have saved.

The handles are not staying tight against the shaft, turning the handle (side to side) or rotating the handle (up and down) catch occasionally, but d nothing for the most part.

UnityUSA

Nov 25, 2015
Chicago IL
I had received an alert that it went through but it was gone when I came to respond. Not sure what happened.

It sounds like the handle is not all the way onto the light when it is being secured. There is a flat milled into the side of the shaft that goes into the handle. The wedge that secures the handle needs to sit in this flat. If the outer chrome tube is out of proper position, it can prevent that handle from getting on to the shaft. The outer tube and intermediate tube need to be 1 inch apart. I have attached a sheet that has instructions on this and a diagram that shows the 1 inch measurement.

Attachments

• 8073 Spotlights Supplemental Instructions.pdf
    638.2 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: StEaLtH2

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.