Strobe head pin arrangement question, i.e. anode/cathode/trigger, who's the guru?

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
I have to replace the strobe tube on an unknown brand, working strobe beacon and I have piles of HAW strobe heads with which I would like to use to replace the tube. The plug on the beacon's power supply board is a simple 3-pin female amp connector (male pins). I have several different (what I thought were NOS good) 3-pin connectored u-shaped tubes that plug right in but when plugged-in, do nothing. I'm guessing the pin arrangement may be different.

There are several inexpensive Federal tubes on fleabay ( 8107A129B) that have the correct connector base. Star also has the 129Z of which I have several. None of them work with this unit. The units on fleabay, I assume, would have been for the old Fireball II strobes that would work for this application but I need to verify I have the correct pin arrangement for this before I go plugging the wrong tube into this beacon. There is also the later FB II strobe beacon tubes of the helical variety which have the same base plug arrangement which again, I assume, would be a bit brighter than the u-shaped units simply because of the longer tube/more surface area logic but they are substantially more expensive.

All that being said, 1st of all, are the 2 tubes from Federal FB II strobe interchangeable between the older u-shaped tube and the newer helical tube?

Next, who is the pin arrangement (anode/cathode/trigger) expert on here?

OR, who can answer which pin is for what pin location on that amp plug coming out of any given tube so I can make one of my million HAW tubes work if I cannot get an answer on the above question?

Thanx in advance!

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
I know that Whelen uses red for anode, black for cathode and white for trigger.
I was told by a long standing member that this is an industry standard.
I was trying to power some Fed. Sig. Jet/Vista strobe heads with a Whelen CSP690 power supply.
I matched up the colors (had to use butt connectors) and it worked. Fed. Sig. switched up
the pin order in the early days.
Hope this helps.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.