Strobe light help

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Okay, so I bought a cord for my 120 volt FireBall beacon I got the other day and shared here. I hooked up the light correctly, but when I plugged it in, I saw one flash and then just heard the capacitors firing. The strobe tube doesn't look like it went out and the fuse didn't go. The tube just won't flash. This is leaving me stumped. I thought it might be the cord because when I got it, it had a tag on there that said:

WARNING

RELIABLE GROUNDING CAN ONLY BE ACHIEVED WHEN CONNECTED TO AN EQUIVALENT RECEPTACLE MARKED "HOSPITAL GRADE".

I don't know what to do. I hope I just didn't kill my beacon :( .

Update 12/6/06: Went to a local safety equipment dealer, found out strobe tube was bad and got replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Okay, I ran out and got a different cord, then wired it again accordingly. When I plug it in, I hear a small buzz first (charging up maybe?), then the capacitors firing. Strobe tube still doesn't go off. I really need some input on what to do. Thanks.

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
I've got a 120 volt Fireball just like that one that has been working fine but it won't light up now and I suspect I need a new strobe tube too. What was the cost of your replacement tube and does your source have another one?

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
03crownvic said:
I've got a 120 volt Fireball just like that one that has been working fine but it won't light up now and I suspect I need a new strobe tube too. What was the cost of your replacement tube and does your source have another one?

Well, I asked how much a replacement strobe tube for this beacon was and they said it'd be $37.00 and they'd have to order it in, which would take a week to get up here. They suggested that if I didn't want to wait and save a little money, a modified Whelen HAW strobe with the female connector end installed close to the right height of the original tube would work too. I took the modified HAW route. Works good for me! If you want, I can give you the store's contact info if you want a bona fide FireBall strobe tube. I just needed mine working as soon as I could since I'm doing light and sound for my friend's wedding reception in two weeks.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.