Strobe question - science experiment

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
Has anyone tried to feed one strobe tube with two power supply outlets? My thought is if the power supply puts out 15W per outlet (i.e., UPS690), and the strobe tube can handle 30+ watts, what would happen if we used two simultaneous outlets to the same tube - would it flash more brightly or burn up the tube or supply? Thanks much

Bill:confused:

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
I worked on an ambulance long time ago that had a single clear strobe wired to a UPS52C power supply. The strobe cable was plugged into one outlet, and just the trigger wire from the 2nd outlet was somehow connected to the strobe tube, I just cant remember how. So it made the strobe constantly flash.

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
Thanks. Appreciate your reply. I was thinking of hooking one head to two outlets that fire at the same time for double intensity, but I don't know how/if that would work. Before I just try it and blow something up, thought I'd put it out there. Someone on ELB must have thought of this and proved or disproved it.

Take care

Bill

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
most of the older power supplies were Unregulated , so they would divide the smount of power between the amount of heads that were plugged in, so if your p/s is unregulated it would already be giving max wattage to the 1 head, try hooking up 2 heads and then unplug on and see if the other gets brighter.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.