Strobe to LED

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
One of the FD's I am on is small, and as such has a small budget. I was looking at our 2 ambulances and they have an old Whelen lighting package and wanted at least to put some LED's. Currently, they have strobes but are nowhere near bright enough. How big a job is it to swap these strobe lightheads with LED's?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
It's cake.

900-series LED lightheads are an exact match in size and mounting for 97-series strobe lightheads. The same is true of 700-series LEDs for 73-series strobes, and 600-series LEDs for 64-series strobes.

You can use two wires of the three in the existing strobe cables for your LED lightheads. Replace the strobe power supply with a suitable LED flasher and you're finished. You could use something like an AFM1660 or one or more ULF44 flashers, depending on your needs.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Yes, it’s cake b/c the 9x7, 6x4, and 7x3 lightheads are standard sizes. The M-series also has brackets to fit the more traditional rectangular mounting.

Another recommendation I always make when upgrading a vehicle is adding some chevrons. Granted, an ambulance is not going to be the “blocker” unit on a vehicle accident, but it definitely helps your rig be seen when responding to and parked on the side of a street for nighttime calls without breaking the bank

Reactions: FireEMSPolice

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.