Strobe Wire for LED Retrofit

Jtsou

Nov 6, 2011
NC
Anyone know what gauge normal strobe wire is?

Doing a retrofit... the wire isn't marked. 3 conductor maybe 16-18 guage?

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
In my experience most has been 18g unless your getting knock off strobes. Pretty sure both Whelen and FS cable was 18g.
Thanks,
Seth

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Anyone know what gauge normal strobe wire is?

Doing a retrofit... the wire isn't marked. 3 conductor maybe 16-18 guage?
There really isn’t a “normal” strobe size. Ive come across 16, and 18, but most is 18. Grab a piece of 18g and a piece of 16g and compare closely. What kind of LEDs are you installing? How many amps will they draw? How long will the wires be?

Jtsou

Nov 6, 2011
NC
Feniex Wide Lux some 7x3, some 9x7. 1.25amp draw for each. 25ft max. 18 would work but the OCD in me says I'm probably going to run new wire and strip out the strobe wire.

Bobcat753

Mar 9, 2014
Mass
If it’s on an older piece of apparatus then I’d probably change it out and run 2 wire. The strobes run at some high currents and the current wire could be towards the end of its life.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
If it’s on an older piece of apparatus then I’d probably change it out and run 2 wire. The strobes run at some high currents and the current wire could be towards the end of its life.

I believe you may have confused current with voltage. Strobes operate at relatively high voltage, and thus at very low current.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
I believe he is using current as a term of time, not current as in amp draw (in the end of his sentence). I know it’s confusing. I had to read it a couple of times.

But I can agree with both statements.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.